PDA

View Full Version : cannon and stone thrower

sillyjam
14-05-2010, 04:51
Can I fire the cannon or stone thrower to the unit which is in close combat? Or just target the ground without anyting?:confused:

thanks!

Ultimate Life Form
14-05-2010, 06:51
In the Cannon and Stone Thrower rules you'll find that you have to declare an enemy model as a target. The Shooting section states that units in close combat are not a valid target. However hitting them 'accidentally' will still cause damage to them.

danny-d-b
14-05-2010, 09:54
though most people will slam your head in to your cannnon if you overguess just to get a shot on a hidden unit (plus it says in the rules not to anyway)

Ultimate Life Form
14-05-2010, 10:00
Yes, but some people are actually very bad at guessing. :angel:

I was until recently as I had never used War Machines before, and what the heck is with that strange inch system anyway. The only thing I could guess halfway reliably was my Saurus Warriors' charging distance, 8". I think that is a major flaw in the rules, because you'll never be able to prove your opponent did intentionally under/overguess.

EldarWonderland
14-05-2010, 10:32
If your opponent continually under/over guesses to their advantage I suggest playing others for a while thus giving them the chance to practice guessing properly and start playing the GAME according to decent behaviour.

Milgram
14-05-2010, 11:05
I think that is a major flaw in the rules, because you'll never be able to prove your opponent did intentionally under/overguess.

I came across that situation once on a tournament when an opponent told me 'not to overguess' - because an appealing unit was some 6-7" behind a screen. as it sounded a bit accusing to my ears and I never done someone intentionally wrong on a tournament, I got a bit bitchy about it. still it was more than 35" and I can't really guess anything beyond (but am fairly accurate below), so I made a suggestion:

I would guess a range and he would guess a range. if his guess is closer to the screening unit than mine (and I overguess at the same time), then I would use his guess. and he accepted.

well, I'd even overguessed for the 'protected' unit (unitnentionally) - while his guess was spot on to the screen. take this, accuser! :)

sorberec
14-05-2010, 11:47
Yes, but some people are actually very bad at guessing. :angel:

I was until recently as I had never used War Machines before

I had this when I did an army swap with my Empire opponent so he was using my High Elves. I took the cannon and mortar and I think the only time I managed to hit anything with the cannon was when I got a good addition to the initial guess and a good bounce.

Mind you, my regular distance guessing for unit movement isn't too hot either (would probably help if I were able to play more than 1 game a month)

T10
14-05-2010, 15:02
I would guess a range and he would guess a range. if his guess is closer to the screening unit than mine (and I overguess at the same time), then I would use his guess. and he accepted.

This works nicely for a stone thrower shot since scoring a hit on the target model is dependent on estimating the exact range.

With a cannon, however, you not only need to estimate the range, but you also need to take a guess at what you're going to roll on the artillery dice. Even if you know the exact range you need to guess anywhere from 2 to 20* inches shorter than the actual range.

In this case you should probably say something like this:

Player1: "I figure that's 38 inches to the target. I'm deducting a number of inches from that guess." (writes down "5 inches" on a piece of paper)

Player2: "No way! That's obviously 30 inches!"

Player1: (measures) "Aha! 39 inches!"

Player2: "Let me see that tape measure... I could have sworn that was 30 inches."

Player1: "Sure. 38 inches, minus 5 inches, (rolls) plus 4 inches, (rolls) plus 8 inches bounce. That affects all the models 37 to 45 inches along the trajectory."

-T10

*) If you just want to hit a single model and are dead sure you're gonna roll 10 and 10...