PDA

View Full Version : Dark Millennium Roleplay: Comments and Ideas

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 18:04
An extra thread for any comments, ideas, opinions or possible additions to DMRP (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2086). I hope to get an RPG using the revised system running sooner rather than later. For anyone who's played WFRP, it's got many similarities to it (changed a few things here and there though).

Of particular help would be if anyone had ideas for rules for weapons not yet in the Armoury, since it'll take me ages to get an exhaustive one done. But anything to do with the system, all feedback is much appreciated.

Commander X
25-05-2005, 18:36
I have only two remarks on you system:
1. It talks about Courage tests, but there isn't a courage stat, how can this be?
2. I don't see how burst gives a negative modifier to location. How can having multiple hits actually reduce the chance of hitting something vital?

Furthermore I'd be willing to help you out with more weapons, any special requests?

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 18:41
1) Because I'm an idiot and forgot to put it in. Will be ammended in a flash.

2) You have a fair point, my thought was that your shooting would be less accurate since you wouldn't be aiming as carefully.

Nothing particularly, just anything that isn't there really. Eldar, Ork, Plasma, Melta, Grenade, anything (though I have an idea for grenades.) Any ideas would be a great help.

Commander X
25-05-2005, 19:08
Name / Firepower / Accuracy / Burst / Special
Flamer / 4 / - / 2 / Target burns with 1 damage a turn until extinguished
Heavy Flamer / 5 / - / 3 / Target burns with 2 damage a turn until extinguished
Plasma Gun\Pistol / 7/ - / -/ Gets hot
Melta Gun / 8 / - / - / -(I don't expect vehicles so I thought the special rule was obsolete)
Sniper Rifle / 5 / +20 / - / -

That's all I can come up with now.

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 19:17
Sweet. They all look pretty much like I was thinking. I'll let the Plasma gun rapid fire (probably 2 shots), somehow increasing the chances of Overheating-not sure what mechanic to use for that yet. I'll have a look at the Inquisitor one for ideas.

Commander X
25-05-2005, 19:44
Some more ideas:
Name/Strength/To hit/Parry/Special
CCW / As user / - / - / -
Great Weapon / As user +1 / - / -10 / 2-handed
Power # / As user / - / - / Only parry-able by other Powered Weapons
Power Fist / 2xuser / -10 / May not parry / Strike Last

Name / Firepower / Accuracy / Burst / Special
Shoota / 4 / -5 / 2 / Faulty-On a to hit of <10, weapon may not fire next turn
Big Shoota / 5 / -5 / 3 / Faulty-as Shoota
Shuriken Catapult / 3 / - / - / -

Hmm, I should learn more about non-Imperial/Chaos guns.

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 19:55
Ah, good work, I was going to get onto close combat weapons. I'm thinking of having Power weapons the same Strength regardless of user (when energy fields are involved I wouldn't think how hard you swing would matter.) The Shuriken catapult be more powerful than that too..but still, much appreciated. Saves me time, effort and gives me another angle :)

Commander X
25-05-2005, 20:02
The only thing I know about Shuriken catapults comes from that story from Portent 1 :p
'...and aimes it at the Lord. He fires, the Shuriken shoots out with a *ZIING*, but falls to the ground 3 feet away. Then, with a pathetic *plop*, the weapon falls apart.'

You have an interesting point on the Power Weapons too.

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 20:08
Heh, fair enough. I've always seen them as fairly nasty pieces of kit. This stuff's great though, keep it coming my minion of darkness.

*Promoted Com_X to Lieutenant in DMRP project* ;)

I'm updating the Armoury thread with new stuff, so feel free to comment on changes I may have made to your siggestions. That goes for any other potential contributors too :)

Commander X
25-05-2005, 20:18
Have you started thinking about Psychic powers and Skills yet? I might do that tomorrow, but I think I should be leaving now ;)

Edit:Lieutenant X, not bad.

Edit:Edit:Proper shorting of my name is 'Commx' :p

Antaeus
25-05-2005, 20:35
Not sure how the psyker powers are going to work yet - I was thinking something like the to-hit for close combat (D100+WP Vs D100+WP) for some of them: but all powers are different (some cause physical damage, some are cast on yourself...)

Keep throwing in ideas though. Skills will be similar to in WFRP if you're familiar with that system.

Slazton
26-05-2005, 06:56
I was thinking about the actions per turn still. I mean why not go for something based on itiative for actions per turn. So an Eldar could have potentially four or five, same with a Marine, while a normal human would have three and an Ork two as they are slower to react.

Its just a thought from the Inquisitor rulebook.

It could help with balancing characters and the power of faster characters.

Just a thought...........

Also do you always get three attacks per turn regardless of your action counter? So if I had five, could I make all five attacks in one turn or just three attempts?

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 08:06
For the psychic powers when attempting to cast maybe you could have to roll under your Willpower to cast it, then if it targets a character, it can choose to resist it, and it successfully resists it if it rolls equal to or under the dice roll to cast.

Antaeus
26-05-2005, 10:46
@Slazton: The actions have gone completely. Reverting back to the nice and simple.

@diddimz: That's the kind of mechanic I was thinking of, but I'll likely just write up different rules for every power, since they're all totally different anyway.

Commander X
26-05-2005, 16:44
Nope, don't now WFRP.

Let me think....

Psychic Powers
Name/Test modifier*/Effect/Resistable
Fireball/ -10 / Flamer hit at target / no
Paralyze/ +5 / Target cannot move/charge next turn / yes
Heal/ +10 / Restore D3 wounds on target / no
Lightning/ +20 / S6 hit at target, no armour saves / no
Hypnosis/ +25 / Take control over target untill next target turn / yes, at +10

*Modifies the dice roll, so negative numbers make it easier, positive numbers make it harder to cast.

Something like this is the idea?

Antaeus
26-05-2005, 21:10
Yup, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of. I should be able to get some refining and updating done tonight. Looks like a good system for some of the Offensive powers, and I've got an idea for mental (rather than physical) effect powers. Liking your work, Lt X, liking your work :)

Commander X
28-05-2005, 19:53
Hmm, 2 days ago since I last put up some ideas, that's far too long :p

Power Name/Test modifier/Effect/Resistable
Warpbeast / +50 / Target is consumed by creatures from the warp, remove it from the field / Only if target is a Psyker, if resisted, Caster becomes Target.
(Just one of the evil ideas I get when making stuff up :evilgrin: )
Timerift / +25 / Caster is immune to shooting/magic untill next turn / no
Barrier / +15 / Caster gains 5+ inv. save untill he moves / no

Antaeus
28-05-2005, 20:11
Nice. I've updated some more weapons, hopefully be able to get started on the psyker powers soonish - got lots of cricket and exams at the moment. But excellent stuff nonetheless.

Warpbeast seems pretty much like the Vortex power, but that's not a problemo. Timerift: like the idea, probably make it make them harder to hit rather than invulnerable though. Barrier: nice and simple. I'll get to work when I have some spare time - which could be just about any time.

One thing: since the system doesn't use Saving throws I'm trying to avoid them, though there may be situations where one is appropriate.

Commander X
28-05-2005, 20:15
*Notes there are indeed no saves in the system*

No real problem, just change it into "distract ... from any damage done to caster untill he moves"

Antaeus
28-05-2005, 20:18
Yip, that's the kind of thing I was thinking. For example, a power adds 2 Armour Points to all locations (playtesting needed to balance weapons and particularly armour).

Commander X
28-05-2005, 20:24
Yeah, understood that. Just didn't bother thinking about that when I wrote the post;)
2 Points for some very advanced armor seems a bit low anyways. That gives me a nice new subject to think about, armour stats.

Antaeus
28-05-2005, 21:03
Going by WFRP, 2 APs can make ahell of a difference. But yes, all stuffs appreciated and all that :)

Antaeus
02-06-2005, 17:59
Update: Critical hits chart, nicked directly from WFRP. Now to get to them bloody psyker powers...

Commander X
02-06-2005, 18:04
Where are result 15 and 16 of the Arm Criticals?

Furthermore(is that a word?), I suggest re-ordering the Criticasl from the worst being 1 to 16 being the 'best'.

As a final note, I really don't understand that table thingy that has to do with Criticals. Please explain.

Antaeus
02-06-2005, 18:15
15 and 16 are Death as well. As I said I nicked it straight from WFRP, so there was likely to be the odd problem.

1-16...well, again, WFRP theft. Does it really make a difference though? In probability terms everything would the same.

Tables: not easy to explain in 1 sentence. I only put it up today, y'know ;)

Which table is the problem? I'll try and make the stuff clearer.

Commander X
02-06-2005, 18:24
The (to me) strange one is the one with the Inquisitor person as example. I don't understand anything from it.

Antaeus
02-06-2005, 18:34
As I said, it's not easy to explain.

Inquisitor has 2 Wounds left, then is hit by an enemy attack, taking 5 Damage. This takes him to -3 Wounds.

D100 roll | -1__| -2__| -3__| -4__| -5__| -6 or more

01-10.....| 1___| 3___| 5___| 7___| 11*_| 14*_|
11-20.....| 2___| 4___| 6___| 9*__| 13*_| 15__|
21-30.....| 3___| 5___| 8*__| 14*_| 16__| 16__|
31-40.....| 4___| 7___| 10*_| 13*_| 15__| 15__|
41-50.....| 5___| 9*__| 14*_| 16__| 16__| 16__|
51-60.....| 7___| 12*_| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__|
61-70.....| 9*__| 16__| 16__| 16__| 16__| 16__|
71-80.....| 11*_| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__|
81-90.....| 16__| 16__| 16__| 16__| 16__| 16__|
91-00.....| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__| 15__|

You put the number of negative Wounds the damage takes them to into the top of the table (blue), then roll D100, and cross-reference the D100 result to the blue number. Then you stick the cross-referenced number into the damage results for the location :)

Commander X
02-06-2005, 18:36
Oh I get it now. So the +x thing means the amount of 'overkill' on the part of the body. Thanks :D

Antaeus
02-06-2005, 18:39
Exunctly :) Glad you pointed that out: that's what this thread's for after all.

I'm hoping to try and get a playtest RPG together ASAP, so hopefully we'll get a chance to see it in action.

Antaeus
05-06-2005, 17:36
Update: Couple of new psyker powers, and the start of the Skills section :)