PDA

View Full Version : things you perceived about 40k before playing

The Marshel
15-05-2010, 14:24
i remember when i first got into wargaming i played lotr. i never had a great interest in the other two core systems and my knowledge of 40k extending only as far as what i saw in the pictures of white dwarf and the minis they had instore.

i remember believing and thinking the following:
-that terminators were robots rather then men in armour
-i found the guard and marines both being human confusing, thinking, how can one faction get two armies?
- i thought orks were an unimaginative, weak and boring copy paste from fantasy orcs in general.

what about everyone else, what did you think about 40k when you ignorantly saw if out of the corner of your eye and knew nothing about the background or mechanices?

PrimeMinisterSinister
15-05-2010, 14:31
I thought marine power plants were jet packs 11 years ago.

Putty
15-05-2010, 14:33
i thought space marines were cool.

Urban Shaman Commando
15-05-2010, 14:37
I thought Necrons would kick ass.

I also thought it would be less about getting into close combat as soon as possible.

Sir_Turalyon
15-05-2010, 15:29
By watching minis catalogues and being already WFRPG player I thought the Imperium was literaly Sigmar's Empire 40000 years later, with Marines being descendants of knightly orders and state troops having become Catachans.

Games like Chaos Gate and Final Liberation made me believe that Ultramarines are band of lovable ****** who *think* in devotional slogans, and Comissars are even cooler then they really are.

Not that I was far off in any case...

Thread owned ;)

Zweischneid
15-05-2010, 15:33
I thought painting an awsome army was easy (and not quite as expensive).

Sir_Turalyon
15-05-2010, 15:45
I thought painting an awsome army was easy (and not quite as expensive).

I thought I can just buy a squad of troops and paint them for pleasure without geting hooked!

DaSpaceAsians
15-05-2010, 15:55
I thought that Eldar sucked, Orks were easily to kill, I'd win all alot against all odds and that Imperial Guard rocked. I was wrong on three things. Guess which ones?

Hunger
15-05-2010, 16:22
I thought "wow, this appears to be an affordable hobby - White Dwarf is a really good read too - and what with this company being a small cottage industry run by games enthusiasts and not a board of suits there will be no out-of-control price hikes, White Dwarf will never be converted into a 5 sales brochure, and they won't rewrite codices in such a way as to force me to buy loads of new models periodically because all my armies suddenly become redundant."

Thoume
15-05-2010, 16:23
- thinking that being lumped with Orks in 2nd meant that there were good guys and bad guys, because nobody in the area wanted to be the bad guys, just green marines, red marines, yellow marines...

- that marines never took off their suits...

- the only way to get a battlewagon (back then) was to make one out of a shoebox and some card tubes...

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-05-2010, 16:25
I thought "wow, this appears to be an affordable hobby - White Dwarf is a really good read too - and what with this company being a small cottage industry run by games enthusiasts and not a board of suits there will be no out-of-control price hikes, White Dwarf will never be converted into a 5 sales brochure, and they won't rewrite codices in such a way as to force me to buy loads of new models periodically because all my armies suddenly become redundant."

When I got into 40k in like 89 or 90, thats the way GW way..........
sighhhhhduck ;)

Thud
15-05-2010, 16:33
I started up at the same time as quite a few of my friends, and I never really understood why such a large percentage of gamers were so concerned with painting their models in the "proper" colours as laid out by GW.

Come to think of it, I still don't. ;)

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-05-2010, 16:43
I started up at the same time as quite a few of my friends, and I never really understood why such a large percentage of gamers were so concerned with painting their models in the "proper" colours as laid out by GW.

Come to think of it, I still don't. ;)

I don't know the answer to that either. I personally love seeing DIY chapters, armies, vehicles, etc.... I have seen alot of stuff that blows the GW/FW stuff out of the water. I must admit I do get a little ummmenvious of some peoples achivements in their modeling skills. :cries:

Cain1001
15-05-2010, 17:05
Walked into a shop back in the early 80s and saw a Rhino and some Space Marines. I stopped and looked at the Rogue Trader book and told myself - "I can paint these up really quick and get some people to play with" -

I never even put all of the models together and never played a game until 3rd edition from that point - There were no gamers in Newport Beach at the time.....

Mage
15-05-2010, 21:58
When I was ten I played a game of 40k as a demo in a GW store when 3rd edition first came out. When the GW staff guy said 'boltguns' I thought they fired lightning bolts LOL.

Lothlanathorian
15-05-2010, 22:20
That, in order to do a DIY Space Marine army, you had to use Codex: Ultramarines. Which sucked, because I wanted to use Codex: Angels of Death.

rabblerouser
15-05-2010, 22:36
I thought chaos space marine backpacks were jetpacks of some sort

TimLeeson
15-05-2010, 22:48
I thought it had better aliens...then I looked in the store.

destroyerlord
15-05-2010, 23:18
- i thought orks were an unimaginative, weak and boring copy paste from fantasy orcs in general.
I thought that until I bought Assault on black reach and actually read some of their fluff, and I've been playing for 8 years now...

Orcboy_Phil
15-05-2010, 23:19
I thought I was going to be able to have armies completly made up of Dreadnaughts. I was disappointed I couldn't. Then 5th came along and now I could. But then I wasn't 12 anymore.

taaln
16-05-2010, 00:25
i thought i knew how to paint

theDregs
16-05-2010, 00:43
I thought the weapon names and other terms were silly. Krak missiles, meltaguns, power fists, Ultramarines, Nobs. I thought chainswords were the coolest thing since light sabers.

I was pretty much right about all that.

Dwane Diblie
16-05-2010, 06:11
Upon hearing Ultramarine I instantly thought that they where better than all other marines because they where ultra. And how is a Rock Climbing Bolt-gun better than any Science Fiction Laser.

I also thought it would massively increase my cool factor at school, how wrong was I.

Born Again
16-05-2010, 06:48
There's a lot in here that I'm sure many of us were guilty of when we were 8... for those of you who were guilty but started playing when you were much older, shame on you... :p

I had a much more literal take on the translation between Fantasy and 40K. They both had Empire/ Imperial, Orcs/ Orks, Elves/ Eldar, and both games had the human faction led by a guy named The Emperor. I imagined it as a much more literal case of some of the inhabitants of the fantasy realm being thrown in to another dimension by the Warp. Of course, back then GW hadn't refused to acknowledge any relationship between the two games, and personally I still don't think it can be ruled out entirely when you look at the fluff on the Old Ones.

The funny bit about was the closest Fantasy equivalent to Tyranids I could find were Squigs. Then I find out that way back in the early days, Squigs were part of the Tyranid army in Rogue Trader.

DarkReaver
16-05-2010, 14:53
Once getting into the hobby I thought Chaos Marines were cooler than loyalist Marines because they had spikes and "pointy pieces" on their armor though for some reason thought the idea of Daemons and mutations in a Chaos army was a dumb idea :rolleyes:

I thought Eldar were kinda cool because nearly all their units were different colours :rolleyes:

VonManstein
16-05-2010, 15:05
I thought a lot of socially 'different' people were playing it. Turned out to be true ^^

Oke bad joke, more seriously:

I thought Commissars were totally bad-ass and owning. When I learned about stats I got very dissapointed; they turned out to only 'own' their own man.

I thought Eldar were very difficult to play with. Turned out to be a popular lie.

tu33y
16-05-2010, 17:20
i did and still do assume (IN THE UK AT LEAST) that it is mostly a white, middle class hobby that shared a similar fanbase to heroic fantasy (Gemmel and Eddings et al) alternative music and real ale.

i think LOTR has bought a lot of women/girls into the hobby but it is still a very non-racially inclusive (to its shame). i dont think it helps that very few of the 'Eavy Metal painted minis show any sort of diversity.

i go to Lenton HQ a lot and Nottingham has a huge black community, pretty much on its doorstep but i see very few non whites i there. it makes me sad cos since i started the hobby all iv done pretty much is meet people and make new friends. spending two hours in a fairly intimate bubble of a battle with a stranger does draw people together and thats what i like.

im also surprised (off my soapbox now) about how rigid all the army books are... i assumed in my ignorance you would be able to throw any old stuff together... but that makes it more realistc and militaristic i guess...

Urban Shaman Commando
16-05-2010, 18:04
I also assumed Chaos was the most major threat to humanity. Must be because I learned about 40k first time when it was in either 2nd or 3rd edition. Chaos Gate and all that.

Shadowheart
16-05-2010, 18:55
i did and still do assume (IN THE UK AT LEAST) that it is mostly a white, middle class hobby that shared a similar fanbase to heroic fantasy (Gemmel and Eddings et al) alternative music and real ale.

Well, yeah, it's a geeky thing. See also White & Nerdy by "Weird Al" Yankovic.

I discovered 40K during second edition. I thought, going by the promo booklet and an article on a local gaming club, that the whole game was Space Marines versus Orks. So I thought I'll play Orks because everyone else would be Marines.

I wound up picking Guard instead, but I was right about the other thing.

jt.glass
16-05-2010, 21:29
I thought marine power plants were jet packs 11 years ago.Its a bit longer than 11 years ago, but I thought that too at first. Actually, I'm not sure I was entirely wrong at the time...

i think LOTR has bought a lot of women/girls into the hobby but it is still a very non-racially inclusive (to its shame).While I do think it is a shame that there isn't more ethnic diversity in the player base, I don't think it is its shame. It's not like GW or their current players are deliberately excluding anyone...GW would love to sell lots of minis to a new demographic or two!

jt.

Refyougee
16-05-2010, 22:15
first game of 40K i saw, some dude was playing tau and lost half his army before he even got his first turn...turned me off from trying for like 2 years lol

Chaosheade
16-05-2010, 22:39
I thought the game looked awesome but that I would never be able to afford to play. I was right on the first and still half right on the second :cries:

I also thought the space marine/chaos marine packs were jetpacks.

I didn't really learn to appreciate orks until my friend explained them to me. They are pretty awesome but don't fit my play style like chaos marines do.

I have always thought chaos marines were the coolest looking army. The colors, the spikes, the daemonic mutations, and can't forget defilers. One day I will own a pair of them..... one day.

sabreu
16-05-2010, 23:20
When I started, I honest to god thought the sisters of battle were just female space marines. Not a hard mistake to make when your just looking at minis though.

Aiwass
17-05-2010, 01:47
When I started, I honest to god thought the sisters of battle were just female space marines.

Are'nt they?

ReveredChaplainDrake
17-05-2010, 01:50
-I thought Dreadnoughts hobbled with pneumatic-like legs. It wasn't until Dawn of War that I realized they actually had knees. And could actually move.

-I thought Lictors were headless. Because basically, their head was scrunched into their body in the 2nd ed Lictor model.

-I thought a Lord of Change could hand a Space Marine Captain his lunch. ...Actually I was right, and barring special characters, I'm still right to this day. Only for a different reason than I thought. (Bolt of Instagib, Gift of Instagib.)

-I thought Terminator Storm Bolters were built onto the Terminators' hands.

-I confused the Hive Tyrant with the Hive Mind.

-I thought Biovores were cylindrical, spore-firing pillars. I misinterpreted what a "battery" refers to. :angel:

-I thought shooting was really important, considering it was a sci-fi game. (I started playing in 3rd edition. Rapid fire didn't get particularly good until 4th.)

-I thought Lasguns and Lascannons were comparable. To this day, the power discrepancy between these weapons baffles me.

-I thought the Emperor actually did stuff. Now that I'm older and wiser, I can kinda' see where Chaos Marines are coming from with their "Corpse God" jeers.

-All the many things I mispronounced: Knore (Khorne), Azure-man (Asurmen; today I pronounce his name "Asura-man"), Mon-Kai (Mon-keigh / mun-kee), Kuh-tan (C'tan; suh-tan).

Aratus
17-05-2010, 01:54
Are'nt they?

Nah, they dont have the gene-seed all the Space Marines do because it originates from the emperor and it did work when trying to combine it with women.

sabreu
17-05-2010, 04:57
-I thought Lasguns and Lascannons were comparable. To this day, the power discrepancy between these weapons baffles me.

Well, your omitting multi-lasers, which is the middle ground in that particular series of weapons.

alphastealer
17-05-2010, 08:00
I knew the hobby was going to stretch my wallet when I was pursuaded to get in at the beginning of 3rd ed.

I had a friend who took me through the whole introductiory process from telling me about the different armies and then encouraging me to look online and see what each range looked like and what playstyle I think I would prefer.

I settled on tyranids since they had the most models of any battle box at the time and I picked up a carnifex and some biovores and I was good to go.

Well, years (and many paychecks) later it is still fun but more costly than I originally anticipated. I think the desire to continually expand and try noew armies is what makes my wallet cry.

Simo429
17-05-2010, 10:12
i certainly dont agree that it being a mainly white hobby is not to GW's shame

they are hardly excluding people

I didnt know how much it would take over

I got a pack of stormtroopers when I was a kid but football was still far too important to be messing around with toy soldiers

then 10 years later im sat watching some kids in detention while reading a BL book and one of them asks me to ruyn a club at school, tried some painting and 2 years later ive got a room filled with paints, boxes, half completetd models, bits of sprues and my missus refuses to enter it

i just thought it would be something to plump my CV's with

e2055261
17-05-2010, 10:43
I've read the lot of this thread and I can't figure that I had any preconceived ideas :wtf: I guess because I read a lot of WD in the late 80s and early 90s before I actually began to buy models...

I thought I could paint like an eavy metal painter when I first started - that was as wrong then as now :)

Brother Mordeus
17-05-2010, 11:39
I just liked the space marine's helmet. Now i have a pre-heresy army where they all have different helmets :D

jt.glass
17-05-2010, 13:17
-All the many things I mispronounced: Knore (Khorne), Azure-man (Asurmen; today I pronounce his name "Asura-man"), Mon-Kai (Mon-keigh / mun-kee), Kuh-tan (C'tan; suh-tan).Where does that last one come from? It's the first I've heard of C'tan not being pronounced C'tan!

Anyway, that reminds me, when I was first becoming interested in WH one of my mates mis-read Tzeencth and decided it was pronounced "tez-tek". He told me, and so I read it that way too for ages...

jt.

Anubis_the_Harlie
17-05-2010, 14:04
I thought Ultramarines were just a colour of paint...

skullkandy
17-05-2010, 15:14
I thought the game was about war and killing the other guy instead of just finding tricks to jump on objectives the last turn.

lowmanjason
17-05-2010, 16:13
i thought that all day long 5000 point battles were normal every day thing so i bought necrons and lots of warriors! now im lucky to play 2000 points!

Icapica
17-05-2010, 16:55
Well, the first thing I remember is about Fantasy Battle rather than 40K. As a kid I saw a review of the PC game Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and I thought that it was some kind of a Warcraft rip-off.

Years later, at 1999, two of my friends got interested in 40K and then bought the box with rulebook, some space marines and DE. They then got me to browse the pictures in the rulebook and explained how awesome the game is. I became curious. I had earlier heard some stuff about Space Hulk and Space Crusade and had seen pictures of marines and genestealers and wanted to know more about the game and the world it is set in.

I thought first that all marines were called Ultramarines. I found out I was wrong when I asked my friend who took the marines from the starter "What colour are you going to paint your Ultramarines?". He was starting a Dark Angels army.

Then from browsing the rulebook more I thought that Orks seemed really silly and awful. I wanted to play Tyranids since Hormagaunts looked so cool. Later when we went to a store to buy stuff, they had only a few codices left, no Tyranids. I didn't want to return empty handed so I bought the Ork codex thinking that they'll probably suck but at least that might be funny. Not necessarily the best reason to start an army, but I haven't regretted it :)

TheMalevolent
17-05-2010, 19:50
I thought Spacemarines were the best army and that everyone played with them.

DeeKay
17-05-2010, 23:14
Often thought that the mk6 marines were meant to be robots...

Also thought that ALL models with a backpack were equipped with some sort of jump pack...

Also thought the Imperium were the good guys...

How little did I know...

With regards,
Dan.

Comrade Penguin
18-05-2010, 02:21
Way back in the dawn of 3rd edition...

I thought you had to paint the models like the picture on the box. I had my heart set on a space wolf army because I saw a picture of a predator in a white dwarf. When I got to the store all they had was a basic squad of marines, and the smurfs were on the front. Guess what color I painted my marines.... and I totally ended up regretting it. I also glued the shoulder pads on upside down :p

My friends and I thought games went on until all of the other person's models were dead, so our games would go on for hours. We also played with whatever models we had at the time with no concern for points levels. One humorous game saw my dreadnaught chasing my friend's Comissar Yarrick around a tissue box and a Pringles can for hours. Ah good times :rolleyes:

Imperialis_Dominatus
18-05-2010, 04:30
Well, your omitting multi-lasers, which is the middle ground in that particular series of weapons.

Everyone omits multilasers. Everyone. Except He Who Writes, That Shall Not Be Named. Otogsc ftaghn!

Seville
18-05-2010, 07:00
Well, I personally fell in love with 40k from the moment I laid eyes on it. I was 12 or so, and for some reason a friend of mine had a copy of Rogue Trader laying around his house. We were into WFRP at the time, so we assumed it was a rulebook for a futuristic version of the Warhammer roleplaying game. It slowly dawned on us that it was kind of a different thing, but not too different... back then the game was really more like a tabletop roleplaying game.

But I just loved it. I couldn't afford to actually play the game (single mom and all that), but I read that book cover to cover dozens of times. My young imagination was completely captivated by everything in it. The evil, oppressive nature of the Imperium was much more all-encompassing back then, yet somehow it was portrayed in a much more subtle and sinister way than it is today. I ate it up. I came up with all kinds of plans to make enough money to play, but, it was an expensive hobby even back then and I just couldn't make it work.

A friend then re-introduced me to the game nearly 10 years later in college, right after 3rd ed was released. I was reluctant to start because I remembered how expensive it was, but I got into it, and somehow made it work on my meager student income. And I've been playing for 10 years now.

The fluff and gameplay have gone downhill (IMHO!) since the Rogue Trader days, but, the universe is still cool and the aesthetic surely can't be beat. 40k is just cool, and there is no getting around it.

Born Again
18-05-2010, 13:34
Where does that last one come from? It's the first I've heard of C'tan not being pronounced C'tan!

Anyway, that reminds me, when I was first becoming interested in WH one of my mates mis-read Tzeencth and decided it was pronounced "tez-tek". He told me, and so I read it that way too for ages...

jt.

It's one of the most mis-pronounced words, but that is probably the most out-there one I've heard.

Well, the first thing I remember is about Fantasy Battle rather than 40K. As a kid I saw a review of the PC game Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and I thought that it was some kind of a Warcraft rip-off.

Ahh... good times playing that game as a young 'un.

I thought first that all marines were called Ultramarines.

No, they just want to be them :p

I also glued the shoulder pads on upside down :p

Wait... given their shape, how is that even possible?

nightgant98c
18-05-2010, 17:46
I really never saw anything 40k until a new friend introduced me to it, so I really didn't have any misconceptions.

Gearhead
18-05-2010, 18:46
The first game I saw sas 'nid versus Guard, so I mistook 40k for Starship Troopers. After starting Tau, since the codex didn't explain, I assumed they reproduced asexually. I still think that theory is cooler.

GrogDaTyrant
18-05-2010, 19:26
For the first several months of playing the game back in 3rd edition, I thought there was only Marines, different variations of marines, 'bad marines' (chaos), and the rarely played Dark Eldar. I almost quit the game entirely because I was getting bored of marines. When I expressed my interest in quitting to a redshirt, he suggested I try a different army other than marines, to which I responded (truthfully) "there's more to 40k than just marines!?".

moonwhisper
19-05-2010, 09:51
I thought space marines were clones.
And I was a bit confused about the Imperium's history, thought the galaxy were first colonized during the Great Crusade when the Emperor, leaving Terra with his Primarchs, conquered the galaxy... Found out I was wrong when reading the story of Lion El'Jonson

marv335
19-05-2010, 11:02
Back when I started, there was no 40k.
I started when GW released Rogue Trader.

Logarithm Udgaur
19-05-2010, 13:08
I thought I would be able to arm my models as I saw fit, rather than as the game designers saw fit.

Sunfang
20-05-2010, 21:03
Um started with fantasy. The guy that my friends and I into everything was kind of the lore keeper of the rules. We were young and he took advantage of that so for the first year playing fantasy we didnt play with points. ridiculous when you muster 2000 points and your apponent has 3500. We decided to get into 40k and multiple people bought rule books and everything changed.

Out of 8 of us only two continue to play years later...love it dearly but still have trouble paying as much as I do.

Nerak
20-05-2010, 21:36

I thought guards were cool.

stevegill
20-05-2010, 21:52
I was simply hoping for a better version of Laserburn and a bit more background (GW had announced that it wouldn't be an RPG)

Jayden63
20-05-2010, 22:22
Like many, I thought that Ultramarines were called that because they were supposed to be the best of the best. Not that they are simply named after their home planet of Ultramar. Its a good honorable concept that just sadly makes a bit of a silly sounding name.

Flame Boy
20-05-2010, 23:01
I seem to recall for about a week after first picking up some 40k promotional booklet/painting guide thingy in early 2nd ed, about that time when there was still lots of RT-era models on show and orangey Blood Angels, and saw "space marine terminators", and got it into my head that they were machines/soldiers created specifically to hunt down space marines. Even then I wasn't sure why they adopted the colours of the marines they hunted. :rolleyes:

Ahh, that takes me back to the good old days. I saved up for one of those mail order starting sets with about 5 paints, a brush, a goblin, and elf, and a space marine to paint. I then proceeded to vandalise those models with my painting "skills". :p

Project2501
21-05-2010, 01:28
Back when I first discovered the game's/hobby's existence, I thought that there was only space marines, and tyrannid. I had nt idea there was an entire universe/history and other races behind it.