PDA

View Full Version : How to create a Savage Orc/Forest Goblin army?

bluekitsune13
15-05-2010, 22:43
I've been thinking of working on a themed army for 8th edition. With the new Orc and Troll figures, I am finding myself inspired to make a new army. I used to play a balanced O&G list a few years ago, with some success. Right now I'd rather create a unique army that I can have fun with, than something that's really competitive. However, I still want to be able to win a few games. Here's my idea.

I'd want to create an army of nothing but Savage Orcs, and Spider Rider Goblins. The theme is going to be a bunch of wild Greenskins from the wilderness, all covered in warpaint. I also thought an all mounted list would be cool too. Especially because it would cut down on a lot of the modeling I'd have to do creating my own plastic Savage Orcs (because the metal ones are horrible). I did run a mounted list before with a Wyvern, large blocks of Wolf Riders, and some chariots. It did pretty well actually. Here's what I was thinking of in terms of units:

Great Shaman on Wyvern as a Lord. I don't know if I'd want him to be a Savage Orc, seeing as he'd have to charge anything within 20". There would be another Big Boss with the troops so they can use his leadership while the shaman is running around the flanks. All the Orc bosses would probably be in chariots. I also want a Goblin on a giant spider too.

I was thinking for units, to have large units of Spider Riders. Maybe 2 units of 5 fast cavalry. Then 1 or 2 other larger 10 or 15 man units with FC. I don't know if I want to have that many Boar Boyz. Maybe just one group of Savage Big Uns. The rest would be chariots for special. Then maybe a group of Trolls, just because it would give me an excuse to buy the new models.

What do you think of this idea? Is this just too wacky to work, or do you think it could be a decent army? I just want to make sure it's an army I can have fun playing with, but I'd also be able to win a few games.

Kalandros
16-05-2010, 01:28
3 suggestions before starting any projects

1 - wait for 8th edition, so much is going to change that any planning will most likely be useless.

2 - wait for new plastic boyz kit, we've heard it was being made, we don't know any real detail on it and we don't know if they will release it soon - but buying all those metal orcs would be terrible if new ones come out even in a years time, the current plastic boyz are also quite ordinary and its a hassle to convert them into savages

3 - wait for the new army book as well, as was rumored months ago to be released in 2011.

I have seen a Savage Horde in a tournament, of course the guy lost due to facing the big threes but its orcs and goblins - thus its fun win or lose ;D

He had 2 very very large blocks of Savages with 2 hand weapons, 2 small detachment of savage arrers, savage boar boyz and lots of spiders even with a gobbo on giant spider.

It was really interesting and the army looked great.

I'd also not use a wyvern lord - too many points and 8th edition will limit characters, that is almost a certainty.

Rosstifer
16-05-2010, 12:33
You can have Savage Orc Archers??? Cool! Is that an option for Savage Orcs? Cuz I think I vaguely remember that in the O&G book.... Annoyingly enough I dont have mine with me.

rtunian
16-05-2010, 15:15
Is that an option for Savage Orcs?

aye. 2 points apiece for bows. thing is, savage orcs can only have ONE of bows, extra choppa, or spear, and most take extra choppa or spear.

imo, spiders should only ever be fielded in groups of 5 or 6 with musician, and bows if you are feeling lucky or have extra points. boar boyz as well (save for the bows), unless you are going to give them the butchery banner.

i think you should keep your boar boyz as cheap as possible, because like everything in the o&g book, they go down easy, and it's too possible for them to disobey your battleplan.

most of all, i wholeheartedly agree with kalandros, in that you should give serious thought to procrastinating until the forthcoming brb and presumably forthcoming o&g book are out... they can really change your plan.