PDA

View Full Version : Best way to equip your infantry units?

Mage
16-05-2010, 11:55
Like the title asks, what is the best way to equip infantry with multiple options?

I am torn between a few different options with different units in different armies. For instance:

I am not sure how to arm my Orc boys. Shields and choppas? Are Big 'Uns worth it (most people say 'no'). Magic banners?

With my warriors of Chaos, I am a bit torn for choice with marks on units and equipment upgrades. I have a bunch put together with great weapons and mark of slaanesh (I think its a good combination for taking on monstrous creatures, etc). As a bit of a tangent, I think the mark of Tzeentch on a Warshrine may work pretty well, but I was in a situation where it got pulled into a combat and was outnumbered by a fear causing enemy and fled, so, not sure there...

Anybody want to throw their 2 cents in about the above examples or something similar?

Rosstifer
16-05-2010, 12:13
Go for 2 Choppas on Orcs, 2 str 4 Attacks in the 1st round is really good for how cheap they are. Big'Uns.... Well they have their uses. The cost isn't what I would consider their main drawback, just the fact that they are still subject to animosity unlike Black Orcs. For sheer brutality try 18 Savage Orc Big'Uns with 2 Choppas, for 3 Str 5 attacks each in the first round of combat. Run them 6 Wide and thats 18 Str 5 attacks which will ruin anythings day. Haven't got my book with me, but can they take a magic banner? Cuz the Banner of Butchery would mean 24 Str 5 attacks once, for if you charged anything REALLY hard, Which could even butcher Heavy Cavalry. 25 With a Boss. Again, not to reliable but very nasty.
For Chaos Warriros I either go MOS or MOK with HW and Shield. A 2+ save is really good and they get that great I of 5. With MOK plenty of screening is a must. Don't look at your Core choices to take down monsters, thats what Dragon Ogres, Knights and Exalted Heros are for, as they deal much more damage with an equal or better Armour Save.
MOS on Warshrines, MOT is expensive, a 4+Ward is fine and it shouldn't be getting into combat anyways.
Hope this helps.

Zaustus
16-05-2010, 14:05
The Warshrine is actually really good at holding things up in combat. I use Slaanesh on it, because failing fear tests when you're trying to charge is a bad, bad thing. With its armor save, ward save, high toughness and multiple wounds, the Warshrine is already a pain to kill. The psych protection ends up being better than an improved ward save.

Most Chaos players, myself included, will advise you to put halberds + shields on your Warriors. That gives you the option of either a 2+ save, or S5 attacks in any given combat. That combo costs the same as great weapons and offers more versatility, plus with the S5 halberds you get to utilize Warriors' lovely I5. I like to mark my Warriors with Slaanesh as well, for the same reason. Psychology is one of their few weaknesses, and taking a cheap mark to completely ignore it is a steal.

The only things that I regularly mark not-Slaanesh are Knights and characters, or any unit that has Banner of Rage (since the perma-frenzy makes them ItP anyway). For Knights I usually go Khorne, since with a few dogs and Horsemen they're not hard to control. Characters are quite variable, but Nurgle and Tzeentch are well represented there. Both of those lores are excellent, so it's worthwhile to include some marked sorcerers. But back on topic, for infantry units I pretty much always go Slaanesh. I used to use Khorne, and it's not the requisite charges that I didn't like. I didn't like the cost, and frenzy doesn't help at all with fear-induced autobreaking.

Gimp
16-05-2010, 14:30
For Chaos take Halbreds and Shields. Best of both worlds. MoS is great and if you can spend the points MoN

TMATK
16-05-2010, 15:30
I equip most of my Orc boyz with shields, some with extra choppa. The extra attack is nice in theory, but if they get charged they're screwed; 6+ armor save is usually no save at all.

I like to rely on static CR of the boyz with shields, and attack with characters and other hard hitting units.

Of course in a few months we may have to rethink a lot of setups, so it might be better to wait.

AMWOOD co
16-05-2010, 21:06
Orc Boyz: 2 choppas, shields, sometimes Big 'Uns if I don't plan on putting a Big Boss in the unit (using the hero slot for Shamans for example). I have a unit with spears, and use them as such, but they aren't as useful.

Chaos Warriors: Shield + something. Great weapons for armies with lots of armour, extra hand weapon for squishies (gnoblars, skinks, goblins, unarmoured men, etc), halberds for anything in between.

Now, mind you, my normal game is 3000 pts, so what works for me doesn't necessarily work for what you want. My Orc units are always at least 25 models strong because anything less with be blown to bits before it reaches the other side in most cases.

Dungeon_Lawyer
17-05-2010, 01:42
i wouldnt do anything until July when the new rulebook comes out.

Stuffburger
17-05-2010, 04:06
Orc boyz work with either with shields or extra choppas, very rarely to never is it better to have spears than one of those two, though you can always chose to have your spear boys use choppa and shield instead. Personally I feel the best equipment depends on role- shield boys where you expect to be charged, choppa boyz go more out on the flanks and hope to get a charge.

I've also used a 2x6 unit of 2x choppa boys to good effect as a hammer unit- can inflict quite a bit of pain if they make it to a flank attack and if they don't, well, they were only 89 points or so with a musician. (Savage orcs are good for this too). The big'un upgrade is kind of dubious to me, as it only really seems worth it on 2x choppa boyz when they can get the charge, which is doubtful at best. But keep in mind that big'uns are no harder to kill than regular'uns and are now costing you 11 points a piece with 2x choppas. A smart opponent will see that unit with a big target painted on it. For 3 more points you get black orcs who fill essentially the same role as "elite infantry" but with better AS and leadership, no squabbling, auto-waaagh!ing and armed to the teeth. Are black orcs worth it though? the general consensus is no, and I would leave my big'uns and black orcs at home too were I in a competitive environment.

Peregijn
17-05-2010, 09:05
The Warshrine is actually really good at holding things up in combat. I use Slaanesh on it, because failing fear tests when you're trying to charge is a bad, bad thing. With its armor save, ward save, high toughness and multiple wounds, the Warshrine is already a pain to kill. The psych protection ends up being better than an improved ward save.

Most Chaos players, myself included, will advise you to put halberds + shields on your Warriors. That gives you the option of either a 2+ save, or S5 attacks in any given combat. That combo costs the same as great weapons and offers more versatility, plus with the S5 halberds you get to utilize Warriors' lovely I5. I like to mark my Warriors with Slaanesh as well, for the same reason. Psychology is one of their few weaknesses, and taking a cheap mark to completely ignore it is a steal.

The only things that I regularly mark not-Slaanesh are Knights and characters, or any unit that has Banner of Rage (since the perma-frenzy makes them ItP anyway). For Knights I usually go Khorne, since with a few dogs and Horsemen they're not hard to control. Characters are quite variable, but Nurgle and Tzeentch are well represented there. Both of those lores are excellent, so it's worthwhile to include some marked sorcerers. But back on topic, for infantry units I pretty much always go Slaanesh. I used to use Khorne, and it's not the requisite charges that I didn't like. I didn't like the cost, and frenzy doesn't help at all with fear-induced autobreaking.

as an fellow chaos player i second everything written in the above post.
its a solid and good advice.

geldedgoat
17-05-2010, 09:46
With the shield/halberd combo (and with the 8th rumors in mind), would you run them 5x3 or 6x2?

Mage
17-05-2010, 13:06
I'll take all of this advice on board. Thanks guys!

papabearshane
17-05-2010, 19:48
Shields are the best for Boyz.....as they are cheap and plentaful