PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings, anything i should know lol

~PrometheuS~
16-05-2010, 13:04
Tomb Kings, anything i should know lol

Anyways guys/girls, after playing VCs/WE/DE/Brets/skaven ive decided to do a new army and yes i know 8th ed is on the way and TKs should be getting a new book hopefully within the next year or maybe two

Well in all the years ive played this game, i can only recall playing TKs once and seeing them played one other time..... they dont seem like a very popular army around my parts!

Maybe why i am drawn to finnally collecting them

After reading the book and the tactics section on this forum, i get the general idea the 2 best army are either chariot heavy (which i dont mind) or shooting (which i dont see myself doing). Any other decent ways of running them,and not getting owned every game? haha

Well advice would be great, thanks

Ultimate Life Form
16-05-2010, 13:10
You should now that they currently are one of the weakest armies out there and in addition to that are reliant on flawless tactics, which doesn't mean they can't totally wipe the floor with you in the hands of an experienced player.

My opponent has a Chariot-heavy army backed up by some Archers and Skeletons, and a Bone Giant plus Catapult. It's a reliable list that participates in each phase and throws those Chariots in your flank faster than you can look. The Tomb King is always armed with that stupid Skull Flail and has a penchant for spanking my Stegadon. :cries:

~PrometheuS~
16-05-2010, 13:19
You should now that they currently are one of the weakest armies out there and in addition to that are reliant on flawless tactics, which doesn't mean they can't totally wipe the floor with you in the hands of an experienced player.

My opponent has a Chariot-heavy army backed up by some Archers and Skeletons, and a Bone Giant plus Catapult. It's a reliable list that participates in each phase and throws those Chariots in your flank faster than you can look. The Tomb King is always armed with that stupid Skull Flail and has a penchant for spanking my Stegadon. :cries:

I am aware they are in need of a new book and when 8th ed comes around with this so called charater cap, they will most likely be boned over pretty bad lol but they still appeal to me, and buy the time i can field a decent army, we will see the affects of 8th ed :) had my spending cut by the mrs lol

Sounds like your opponent plays a balanced list, something that i was looking at, however i was tempted to have a TK on foot in spearmen or something, as the model with the GW is sweet

logan054
16-05-2010, 13:56
Well if im honest i would be more inclined to wait on the new book before starting a army of them, not because of any power increase they may get with it but i have a funny feeling your going to get some very nice new kits, possible plastic bone giant, even better character models!

I am also a huge fanof that GW armed king/prince, did you have you eyes on any other armies? is it simply becuase they are not so common in your area?

White_13oy
16-05-2010, 18:23
I've always had success with a TK with Destroyer of Eternities and Collar of Shapesh in a 24 man unit of Tomb Guard with the Icon of the Sacred Eye. Kind of point heavy, but you need the extra models to save the King and give static CR. Though the King does do a lot of killing by himself.

OldMan
16-05-2010, 18:53
I always liked TK and almost ended up playing them, but i really disliked their tactic.

TK units are expensive like elfs, weak as skaven, and slow as dwarfs. It is heroes and magic that make this army working with significant help of fear and ItP. In theory at least, for the book is very old now.

I've read a lot of forums on TK tactic. Everyone agrees that scorpions and catapult are a must, everyone agrees that Bone Giant and tomb swarm is crap ( in spite of this I have seen lists with both). Everything else is personal preference. Some say that tomb guard is not worth it, other tell it can do mirracles. Ushtabi have been shelved by some, others never leave home without them. Same for horseman, though 7ed made heavy ones much less popular. Some people take casket, others say it wasting space a catapult could take. Carrion are also popular.

In other worlds, in exeption of catapult, scorpion, giant, tomb swarm, and perchaps chariots, everything in this army is more or less equally poor, so it is up to You what to take.

White_13oy
16-05-2010, 21:22
Yup, I always take Heavy Horseman because they have proved VERY useful to me, not a lot, but it happens. I once deployed them on my left flank by themselves because I didn't have any room for them else ware, and my opponent (Not knowing TK) thought they must be bad ass because I deployed alone. He sent a mage and archers, 25 man White Lions, and normal chariot against them. I charged his chariot with them and he ran for three turns. They died, but knowing that they made him choose to put them over there was alone awesome. They've done other things, but that one always stands out. My carrion are also known as the Bane of Dwarf Cannon crews. They always charge the dwarfs and they fail their fear test and run away.

ChaosVC
17-05-2010, 02:31
Play balance games with balance army against balance armies from non powergaming people.

Darkspear
17-05-2010, 02:58
Miniatures wise, we are not sure what will be re-released. Therefore the only "safe" things to buy are carrions and tomb swarms.

Gamewise, the most successful list is a mass chariot army with shooting in the form of two screaming skulls. However, I was watching one of VaulSC's video battle reports recently and apprently a TK guy won an Australian tournament event. He uses mass chariots but the Tomb King is with the infantry (should be TG). This could be something tht you want.

WarhammerNoob4ever
17-05-2010, 03:00
you kno what... if you like them and want them, then collect them

who cares that 8th Ed is around the corner or that they might get a new book soon-ish..... if you like them now, ull like them then and if you get them now, u can have fun w them now instead of waiting.....

i had the same decision as you, but a few months ago.... I love TK and wanted to play them but everyone said wait new edition/AB coming, you dont want to collect them and then have all new stuff/rules come out.... but if i had listened to them, i wouldnt have been enjoying them the last few months and had some great games w them

but do be warned... huge learning curve w them, they are like playing chess against an opponent who gets to play checkers (most of the time). they do end up on the lower end of the "competitive" scale, but they are by no-means weak and useless.... i am sitting around a 50:50 win w them after about a dozen games and im still getting used to them (going from a steg heavy LM army to them has been an adjustment)

as for units, use what u like.... i have a unit of ushabi (which rarely earn their points back... or do much of anything, but so damn beautiful models, and a casket, which again doesnt usually do much, but when it does... you smile :D)

finally, dont worry about the % thing, a lot of ppl are screaming about it nerfing TK, but i run a TK, TP, LP, LP combo and if i drop the casket (which would be the competitive choice) i would come under the 25% cap.... and it works well for me

meneroth
17-05-2010, 03:22
to be more positive, once you get good with them, they can work wonders. like rediculous wonders. the way i build mine is a shooty/counterattack heavy army with 2 catapults and a HLP and a unit of skeleton archers providing the fire base and then a unit of tomb guard and normal skeletons as the anvils and chariots for the hammer, plus 2-3 scorpions to knock out any enemy shooting and force them to come to me. i LOVE the TK and highly reccomend getting into them. I play DE mostly now but the TK are just so much more fun.

an example of wonders theyve worked for me is totally massacring a high elf army at 1500 pts (under 2k is weak for TK, but not that day) and only losing a net of one catapult crewman to a misfire.

Skywave
17-05-2010, 03:50
I've read a lot of forums on TK tactic. Everyone agrees that scorpions and catapult are a must, everyone agrees that Bone Giant and tomb swarm is crap

Sorry, but I love my swarms :D If they stay roughly the same with the new book, I can't wait to take more than 1 unit since the 0-1 requirement will most likely be gone! In fact I just love to burry stuff around, it makes the opponent more cautious when there's 3-4 marker on the table :p

Charistoph
17-05-2010, 05:15
If the 8th Edition Rumors are true, the Ushabti will be getting an extra attack type soon as well.

outbreak
17-05-2010, 12:37
I've had success with my tomb kings and have done well (gotten a 2nd) in my limited tournament experiences (plus seen some players get high ranks in larger tournies here with tk). I think their not as bad as every says but they do take awhile to get used to and learn the little tricks and what works and what doesn't. To me the big thing that they are missing is that to win you really only have one play style.

Enigmatik1
17-05-2010, 13:00
I've had success with my tomb kings and have done well (gotten a 2nd) in my limited tournament experiences (plus seen some players get high ranks in larger tournies here with tk). I think their not as bad as every says but they do take awhile to get used to and learn the little tricks and what works and what doesn't. To me the big thing that they are missing is that to win you really only have one play style.

I wholeheartedly disagree!

We have two styles: Offensive Chariots upside the hide (my personal favorite) or shooty, castle of death w/ Casket (zzz). :p

Spiney Norman
17-05-2010, 13:13
Tomb Kings, anything i should know lol

Anyways guys/girls, after playing VCs/WE/DE/Brets/skaven ive decided to do a new army and yes i know 8th ed is on the way and TKs should be getting a new book hopefully within the next year or maybe two

Well in all the years ive played this game, i can only recall playing TKs once and seeing them played one other time..... they dont seem like a very popular army around my parts!

Maybe why i am drawn to finnally collecting them

After reading the book and the tactics section on this forum, i get the general idea the 2 best army are either chariot heavy (which i dont mind) or shooting (which i dont see myself doing). Any other decent ways of running them,and not getting owned every game? haha

Well advice would be great, thanks

Good on you, I've played TK ever since they got their 6th Ed army book, they're my fav army based on look & feel. Even so I'm really hoping their core infantry will get a new kit with their new book (best estimate puts them at least a year away).

Recommendations:
For current meta-game (which is all I can really comment on), below 2K its really hard to get TK working, they have 2 compulsory characters (Hierophant and General) and given that they're both at least 100pts basic thats a major investment for very little return in small games.

At 2K I recommend leading with a King as your Lord choice, a High priest does give you more magical dominance, but the great thing about the King is he makes your chariots core choices, which is pretty vital. I've used a chariot King and a foot King, they're both good in their own way, best bodyguard for a foot King is Tomb Guard.

Next you need a hierophant, which is a liche priest, best equipped with the Cloak of Dunes (which lets him fly), if this guy dies you will lose your entire army in a couple of turns due to crumbling, so he needs to be mobile to keep out of danger.

I've seen a variety of other character set-up, an additional 2 priests, a priest-prince combo, but my favoured loadout is a second priest with a casket. Not only is the casket a fine model, its also very, very destructive if it goes off and is guaranteed to draw out those enemy dispel dice. It also gives a nice boost to your dispel phase as well.

The core choices worth fielding are skeleton archers (blocks of 25ish) and chariots (which are awesome), swarms are useful, but pretty over-priced and both varieties of cavalry are almost entirely useless.

Special choices are where you have to make the hard decisions, although Ushabti look nice they under-perform rather badly, I love the models so much I take them anyway, but they never really do anything noteworthy. A scorpion or two is an absolute must, they are probably the best thing in the TK list. Tomb Guard are awesome, esp with the Icon of Rakaph, which *effectively* gives them 360 LoS for charging.

Lastly Carrion are also a good choice, with a successfully cast movement spell they can potentially charge 40" in a turn, and are thus the bane of warmachines on T1.

Competing for your rare slots is the casket of souls (see above) and Screaming Skull catapult. Typically I take one of each at 2K, but you see a lot of double catapult armies. By common consensus the Bone Giant is not worth looking at.

hope that was useful, just remember... never take an icon bearer

I wholeheartedly disagree!

We have two styles: Offensive Chariots upside the hide (my personal favorite) or shooty, castle of death w/ Casket (zzz). :p
Agreed, although my personal preference resides within the shooty castle of death

~PrometheuS~
17-05-2010, 14:27
Well i am tempted to go chariots army of death lol, love the idea of lots of chariots rolling across the battlefield

ALready decided to go with a TK over a priest for my lord, combat casters are great, reminds me of my beloved vamp lord :)

Well even though they will get boned over by 8th ed and there new book is a while away, i am still going to collect them

Sand
17-05-2010, 14:54
I haven't played a whole lot with my Tomb Kings army, as it is a relatively new acquisition. However, I do have a bit of advice/thoughts for you.

First off, yeah they suck right now, compared to most other armies out there and yeah, they'll probably be in big trouble in 8th ed. until a new army book comes along. Pretty much everything in the book is overcosted/underpowered and I find it very hard to put a 2000 pts. army together. At 2250 it's easier, although you'll probably still be outnumbered and outmatched in most phases.
However, they're very funny to play and one of the armies with the coolest atmosphere, as well as a great model range (the plastic skeletons being the possible exception to this, although I personally think they're alright).
If, like me, you're drawn to their imagery and don't mind a slightly steep learning curve, I say go for it. As I said, they're fun to play and when you get to use them effectively they can be surprisingly good.

By a strange twist of fate, the much maligned Bone Giant is actually quite good at putting dents in Steam Tanks. In fact, I'd say that the Bone Giant is actually not as bad as it looks overall. He's performed pretty well for me in all my games (and he looks so happy too! How can you not love that?). The Ushabti are actually quite good at smashing up stuff too, if you get to charge with them -and even if you don't they're some of the finest models around.
You should definitely stay the Hell away from "Heavy" Horsemen though.

Putty
17-05-2010, 15:11
You need 2 Skull Catapults.

And divide your chariot blocks into two.

You will need Carrion Eaters and/or Scorpions.

Load up on as many spell casters (Urgency + Smite) and bob's your uncle.