PDA

View Full Version : What to give Level 4 WoC sorcerer?

immortal git
16-05-2010, 19:22
right im writing a WoC list and the item list baffles me with what to give to the lord as a good combo, just wondering if you guys have any preffered choices, hes going to be slaanesh btw.

thanks-

Heimagoblin
16-05-2010, 20:16
I'd take tzeentch but never mind.

You should use the spell familliar aswell as collar of khorne and stick him in a powerful unit. Mount him on chaos steed. Apart from that, puppet can be useful.

AMWOOD co
16-05-2010, 21:09
Slaanesh? Oh... um...

I take Tzeentch with Bloodskull Pendant, Collar of Khorne, Spell Familiar, and Enchanted Shield. For his gifts... I usually don't. You could take the homunculous, it's popular, but I don't want stupidity biting me in the butt when he needs to charge.

ooglatjama
16-05-2010, 21:14
Slaanesh lore is really hit hard by ITP units, which are all too common. You could try and take the gift the "Third Eye of Tzeentch" You can steal an enemy lore (even book specific ones) and have a field day. He's also a good dragon lord IMO, he can pull things towards the big nasty.

Witchblade
16-05-2010, 22:03
Third eye of tzeentch, spell familiar and book of secrets are standard equipment for all my L4s of Slaanesh.

Rochr
17-05-2010, 01:58
Third Eye of Tzeentch, Enchanted Shield, Power Familiar, Book of Secrets.

John Vaughan
17-05-2010, 02:02
Yeah, I'm gonna have to side with Tzeentch. That or Nurgle if you're fighting dwarves or lizards.

Call me crazy, but my Sorcerer lord always goes into battle with the following:

Lord, lvl 4, Mark of Tzeentch
-Spell Familiar
-Power Stones
-Power Stones
-Power Stones
-Power Stones

Another model in my army is carrying the Puppet. Throw tons of surprise dice the whole game, and it irritates the daylights out of an opponent.

Rochr
17-05-2010, 02:07
Thats actually a pretty hilarious setup you got going there Vaughan... give me ideas :D - But I think you can only get 3 power stones and a Power Familiar within the 100p budget.

Shame my opponents have so much shooting I just can't stay alive w/o the ward saves.

ooglatjama
17-05-2010, 03:04
Does anyone read the posts? He says it will be Slaanesh.

kyuzo
17-05-2010, 03:21
Steed of slaanesh

Enchanted Shield
Golden Eye
Spell Familiar
Rod of Torment
Bloodcurdling Roar

one of the most potent builds.

John Vaughan
17-05-2010, 04:17
Ah, but this is not true my good man, because the spell familiar is 15 points, plus 80 points of stones = 95 points, leaving an extra five to get Favour of the Gods. =)

brendino
17-05-2010, 05:13
LOLZ vaughan thats hillarious. After the fourth power stone your opponents would be like FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.........

Havock
17-05-2010, 07:51
I'm going to try that one :')

ChaosVC
17-05-2010, 08:19
Unless you are not getting another wizard character with infernal puppet. Take infernal puppet, third eye and collar of khorn(if he is joining a unit).

Peregijn
17-05-2010, 08:45
what about putting him on a steed of slaanesh? he gets the "fast cavelery" rules and so his spells get 360 degree line of sight. you can than steel your opponent spells with the eye
and blast around with the rod of torment.
ma by he is a little bit vulnerable but he will scare the pants from your opponents bottom.

the slaanesh sorcerer on a dragon is also very good.

Rochr
17-05-2010, 09:43
Does anyone read the posts? He says it will be Slaanesh.

Well, all suggestions work fine on a Slaanesh sorceror so far?

immortal git
17-05-2010, 14:45
hes in a unit of chaos knights, unit of five with a bsb, the units solid, i like kyuzo's choice, has a lot of offence, probably not bloodcurdling, take collar instead

Rochr
17-05-2010, 15:57
I dont get why you want a Sorceror Lord in CC? and if you combine him with an Exalted Lord with BSB your 5 man unit of knights will be like 22.5 cm wide, 125mm for the knights, 100mm for the Sorceror Lord & BSB.

Or am I missing something? :)

immortal git
17-05-2010, 19:11
narr, theyre only on chaos steeds, so theyre on a cav base, and i dont want him in cc, the knights are the endgame, he'll cast and cast until i see fit to rip something apart... plus the +2 to his armour save for being mounted

GWItheUltimate
17-05-2010, 20:47
Slanesh magic is alots about aura stuff..

So don't be afraid to run him alone in the middle of the field with his 20 inches and cast that 18 inches panic aura all around

kyuzo
17-05-2010, 20:59
hes in a unit of chaos knights, unit of five with a bsb, the units solid, i like kyuzo's choice, has a lot of offence, probably not bloodcurdling, take collar instead

The 100 points of magic items are already used up. Bloodcurdling is a gift, but collar is a magic item. If you plan to run him in a unit of knights, you could swap golden eye to the collar. I still highly suggest the steed of slaanesh with the build.

immortal git
17-05-2010, 21:44
so, what you just run in and then flee or something? i dnt like the idea of my general fleeing

Rochr
18-05-2010, 01:31
The Steed of Slaanesh has 10" movement which makes it far superior to a regular horsie, thats what he is getting at me thinks. The Steed of Slaanesh needs to go on a 50x50mm base tho which could be troublesome.

kyuzo
18-05-2010, 03:10
so, what you just run in and then flee or something? i dnt like the idea of my general fleeing

The huge movement+fast cav really makes it easy to avoid getting charged by almost anything. You can pretty much get away with running circles around your opponents with key positioning. Worst case scenario, if you manage to let a charge slip on you, you can flee and still move the turn you rally.

Eta
18-05-2010, 11:01
The Steed of Slaanesh has 10" movement which makes it far superior to a regular horsie, thats what he is getting at me thinks. The Steed of Slaanesh needs to go on a 50x50mm base tho which could be troublesome.

Actually, it is on a normal cavalry base. The "boobworm" model counts as a normal daemonic mount.

Greetings
Eta

immortal git
18-05-2010, 16:01
i was going to say, every steed of slaanesh ive seen is on a cav base, it does seem nice having the 10 inch move, but the whole 'key positioning thing is something i lack, not that great at the game of warhammer yet' =D

Dreadgrass
19-05-2010, 06:43
On a Slaanesh SorcererLord I think the staple would be: (with the puppet on another mage)

Sorcerer Lord - Mark of Slaanesh, Spell Familiar, Book of Secrets, steed to taste

This leaves 60 pts for protective gear + Powerstones, and hasn't touched your Gifts choice yet.

I don't like the 3rd Eye as my opponents tend to pick lores based on either exploiting my weakness (Metal) or else, use their Book lore which often tends to be too restrictive (eg. Vampire Counts) I'd rather spam fireballs, Lashes, and Seizures, plus throw an occasional Frenzy or Aura (point being I believe the remaining 4 spells + whatever the book gives me is better than what I can steal)

I like Diabolic Splendour on him as it helps make Hellshriek viable against high LD armies (I play against a fair few elves) and, if he joins a unit of fear causers (which, with the aura of Aquiescence can be terror) it helps there too.

Protective/ additional kit I'd consider would be:

Collar of Khorne, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might - gives magic res to your unit and toughens him up nicely, also makes him hit as well as a Knight champ.

Blasphemous Amulet, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might - same as above but drops the magic res in exchange for toughness tests. Handy against enemies with high saves that your Knights/ unit may normally take a while to grind down with "only" strength 5.

EDIT: I'm now thinking of working this setup, with the last option and mounted on a Daemonic Steed into my list, and putting him in a unit of 14 x Warriors/ Chosen. He can cast Aura on his unit and they will cause Terror (thanks to the Steed), he'll dish out Toughness tests on a 50mm frontage, have (with steed) 5 strength 5 attacks and a 1+ save... and then, if he wants to get nasty, he can cast his magic!

GWItheUltimate
19-05-2010, 21:23
ok so...

You are telling me that a Steed of Slanesh can be put on a regular Cavalry Base ?

how come the model comes with a 50x50 base ?!?

immortal git
19-05-2010, 22:38
that model is used as a daemonic mount, i think. but steeds of slaanesh for daemons are cav base and they were in hordes of chaos when they were in production aswell.

Dreadgrass
19-05-2010, 23:07
Page 54 in WoC states that Juggers, Discs and Palaquins are steeds despite not being on 25mm x 50mm bases, inversely, this means that the OTHER steeds are on 25mm x 50mm. You may be confusing the "Boobworm" (which, if you read the caption under the pic in the WoC book is classed as a "Daemonic Mount") and the Daemonic steed, which there is no WoC model for to my understanding, but it is the mount the "Seekers of Slaanesh" ride in the Daemons army if that helps.

ooglatjama
19-05-2010, 23:20
The spells stealing is super awesome if you steal something like Big Waagh.

Dreadgrass
19-05-2010, 23:45
You've got to be careful with things like that though (and I don't have the Orc book on me, so you may well be right) as a lot of spells like that, Vanhels Danse from the VC's for example, actually stipulates that your "Undead" unit get to move... As I say, some like it, some (well, me at least lol) find it a bit too situational...

Besides, Who wants to miss out on all those lovely slaanesh spells with a wall of mid-to-low LD Orcs and Gobbos dancing around in front of you, lol

Max1mum
20-05-2010, 15:46
What's up with everybody trying to cheat here ;-)

You can't give a sorceror lord a magic shield :P, ( i wish )

You can only give a character magic armour of any type, if that character can also use the mundane variaty.

L192837465
20-05-2010, 16:24
What's up with everybody trying to cheat here ;-)

You can't give a sorceror lord a magic shield :P, ( i wish )

You can only give a character magic armour of any type, if that character can also use the mundane variaty.

Please read the WOC book. A WoC sorcerer can use any magical armour or shield.

Thank you.

Max1mum
20-05-2010, 19:17
you are full of attitude..

and apparently with good reason :P the Faq agree's with you ;-)

I was basing it on the fact that they can't have normal shields and throws up some restrictions as you can see on page 121 in the small rule book ( the english version )

Rochr
21-05-2010, 01:16
Actually, it is on a normal cavalry base. The "boobworm" model counts as a normal daemonic mount.

Greetings
Eta

Ah yea I see.

Well I got the Chaos Lord on Steed of Slaanesh which actually comes on a 50x50 base, I can technically put this guy on a 25x50?

Best regards.

Dreadgrass
21-05-2010, 01:46
I can't actually find a model of a "Chaos Lord on Steed of Slaanesh" anywhere, the only one I can find is the Boobworm, which, as stated, is a "Daemonic Steed". If you do a google search for "Seekers of Slaanesh" you should be able to find what a "steed of slaanesh" looks like. They're being ridden by Daemonettes, run on 2 legs and have a long tongue. Alternately, if you can fit a boobworm on a 25mm x 50mm base and state during your deployment "This is a Chaos Lord/ Exalted/ Sorcerer on Steed of Slaanesh" There shouldn't be a problem... After all, its Chaos! Theres no model for it so your "conversion" is whatever you see the "Steed" as lookign like!

Rochr
21-05-2010, 02:01
I can't actually find a model of a "Chaos Lord on Steed of Slaanesh" anywhere, the only one I can find is the Boobworm, which, as stated, is a "Daemonic Steed". If you do a google search for "Seekers of Slaanesh" you should be able to find what a "steed of slaanesh" looks like. They're being ridden by Daemonettes, run on 2 legs and have a long tongue. Alternately, if you can fit a boobworm on a 25mm x 50mm base and state during your deployment "This is a Chaos Lord/ Exalted/ Sorcerer on Steed of Slaanesh" There shouldn't be a problem... After all, its Chaos! Theres no model for it so your "conversion" is whatever you see the "Steed" as lookign like!

Well, the Lord of Slaanesh model that is on GWs webpage.

If you look at the stats below the fluff "With this box set you can make the following:", there is the Chaos Lord, Exalted Hero and the Steed of Slaanesh. So I am guessing thats what GW wants that model to represent?

ooglatjama
21-05-2010, 02:20
You've got to be careful with things like that though (and I don't have the Orc book on me, so you may well be right) as a lot of spells like that, Vanhels Danse from the VC's for example, actually stipulates that your "Undead" unit get to move... As I say, some like it, some (well, me at least lol) find it a bit too situational...

Besides, Who wants to miss out on all those lovely slaanesh spells with a wall of mid-to-low LD Orcs and Gobbos dancing around in front of you, lol

There's only one spell that is orc only, that's why the lore is so good.

Plus WAAAGHing chaos knights are lol

Zaustus
21-05-2010, 03:55
I don't see any problem with using the boomworm as a steed of slaanesh, and leaving it on the 50x50 base. Technically I guess it should be on a cavalry base, but the base rules are flexible for just that reason. Since you're making the base bigger, and the model looks right, it's fine on the 50mm.