PDA

View Full Version : Empire: starting point: 1,500pts Gunpowder

Sebavin
16-05-2010, 23:43
Well I have been playing 40k and LOTR, but I have never really been happy with my Empire army so I have decided to ask around and see what the matter with the lists I make. Just to clear things up, the people I play with ether go REALLY magic Heavy or no magic at all so I am staying with no magic defense. Bad idea? I guess but I really don't like magic so it isn't going to be around my army lol.
This is what I have made-
1,500pts
Heroes-
Engineer- 90
Pigeon bombs

Engineer- 90
Pinon bombs

Engineer- 90
Pigeon bombs

Core-
20 Swordsmen, FC, 8 man Halberd Detachment- 185

20 Swordsmen, FC, 8 man Halberd Detachment- 185

10 Hand gunners, Marksman, Long Rifle, 5 man Halberd Detachment- 130

10 Hand gunners, Marksman, Long Rifle, 5 man Halberd Detachment- 130

Special-
Cannon- 100

Cannon- 100

Cannon- 100

Rare-
Steam tank- 300

What is everyone's take?

Templar47
17-05-2010, 09:17
I play empire myself (infantry heavy army), and I can tell you right now that this list has a good chance of just getting slaughtered. Here are my thoughts:

1. In this day and age, your definitely going to need some magic defense. A lot of armies (particularly high elves and the new skaven) can dish out a lot of power dice in a 1500 point game and it will just completely destroy your army. If you dont like magic, then take an Arch Lector and warrior priests, who don't have any spells but give your units hatred and have some nifty prayers to beef up your units CC potential, plus free dispel dice.

2. Engineers are a complete waste due to the fact that empire cannons tend to blow up every chance they get :P. You would be better getting either a Captain or a warrior priest instead, or else that's just wasted points.

3. Swordsmen units look good, as do the Halberd detachment's. Maybe beef the swordsmen up to units of 25x perhaps?

4. Handgunners are fine, but drop the halberd detachments. They don't need them and you can use the points elsewhere. From what I've seen of most gun lines, they tend to have more handgunner units then just 2, so maybe add 1 or 2 more units of 10.

5. Personally, I think three great cannons are overkill. I would swith out one and move some points around to get either a hellblaster, a hellstorm rocket battery or a mortar, all which is good against horde armies.

6. As for the steam tank, nobody is going to like you fielding that in 1500 points, which is going toprobably give them hell :P.

Sebavin
17-05-2010, 15:57
Well about the steam tank first... armies that are played are... mono knorn Daemons, Dark elves, Daemons, Skaven, Counts etc. I have a right to use that thing at such low points lol.
As for the rest I agree, idk I love the Empire, but I am never happy with my builds.
I see empire as traditional Army, so no magic, but Priest and engineers I can see.
I do too good with war machines, one game I ripped two full units of lizzies (sarrus) with two helstorms and three cannons it was mean lol
At two 2k I am gonna run a General or a captain hands down, I love the feel of a real general running the army.
As for the cannons also I might switch them all or one out for a mortar and lossing the Detachments on the hand gunners is a great idea.
I am gonna re write the list in a bit s till then tear the list up some more please.

Sebavin
17-05-2010, 16:30
Well how about this then lol
1,500pts-
Heroes-
Captain- 100
Full plate armor, Shield, Hammer of justice, Signal of Sigmar

Warrior Priest- 144
Shroud of mangus
Heavy Armor

Engineer- 90
Pigeon bombs

Core-
25 Swordsmen, FC, 10 man Detachment of Halberds- 200

25 Swordsmen, FC, 10 man Detachment of Halberds- 200

10 Hand gunners, Marks man, Long Rifle- 105

Special-
Cannon- 100

Rare-
Steam tank.

How does this work out I got magic Resistance in the army now which I am planing on finding a way to give any block besides hand gunners too.
The plan is too get 1,500 as the core and 2,250 is the next step and so on.
By 2,250 my plan is-
General-
Laurels of Victory
Sword of Power
Full plate Armor
Shield

25 Great Swords, FC, Banner of Arcane warding

and + 2 cannons

Sebavin
31-05-2010, 17:06
As I am trying to bring my old post back to life...
I have seen the 8th ed book, it is cool... I likes it and well I have made an army that is gonna be used via the 8th ed rules...
So with out any more hesitation...
Heroes- cap- 375pts used- 360pts
Captain- 114
Halberd/Great Weapon
Full plate armor
Shield
Shroud of Magus (5+ ward and do too know magic res 3+ ward against spells and 5+ ward for his unit)

Captain- 83
BSB
Full plate Armor

Warrior pries- 98
Heavy Armor
Great weapon

Master Engineer- 65

Core- required- 375pts taken- 770pts
30 Flagellants- 300 (warrior priest is here)
(with Initiative being used in combat, these guys being frenzy and fighting in 2 ranks meaning 20 re-roll-able S5 hits that can also re-roll to wound. Them going at the same time or first is also great)

28 Swordsmen, FC, Detachment of 12 Free Company- 253
(Fighting in 2 ranks and taking out the flank means real damage from the Free Company)

27 Swordsmen, FC, Detachment of 12 Free Company- 247

Special- cap 750pts used- 225pts
Mortar
(Mortars seem mean now, with luck and the removal of partials they can hurt like a iron fist to the manhood)

Mortar

Mortar

Rare- cap 350pts taken- 115
Helstorm Rocket Battery
(same as the mortars, I personally am really good at aiming these things)

So there you have it. I wanted to try and use a wizard just for fun as i am liking how suicidal wizards can be. Seems to me be a good rock.. what do you all think?

Sebavin
01-06-2010, 21:50
Come on there has to be some thoughts on it.

Templar47
01-06-2010, 22:32
Looks good. Only thing I suggest is moving the warrior priest to one of the swordsmen units because they will benefit much more from the hatred and prayers then the Flagellants due to the fact that they are already frenzied, and I would get rid of the master engineer and use the points for something else.

Malorian
01-06-2010, 23:00
Second rank only gets 1 attack, but you could get more with the flagellants if you deploy them as a horde. Either way 30 great swords (for the same cost) would be more effective (just would have to add a it more core to make 25%).

And the warrior priest can't join them (unless they are changing the joining unbreakable rule).

Sebavin
01-06-2010, 23:14
Horde is a USR, and idk where the priest will go it don't really matter where and both ranks fight at full attacks.. though this isn't about 8th rules/rumors and I have only based the army off of what I have read in the book.
And 65pts is kinda of a weird number, anyway he can help a mortar hit its mark which can be helpful.