PDA

View Full Version : [Skaven] Quick question on equipping "command" Clanrats.

FLAKPANZER
17-05-2010, 06:41
Hi folks,

Quick question regarding equipping the command in my Skaven Clanrats.

If my unit is armed with spears and shields, can the champion be armed with a hand weapon and shield instead?

In looking at the Clanrat unit pictures in the codex, and in White Dwarf 358, it looks like the champion is carrying a hand weapon instead of a spear.

Thanks.

Kalandros
17-05-2010, 06:47
RAW & Tournaments - Unit champion MUST use the same equipment as the unit he is in.

Friendly play - Use HW&S for champ, its just stupid any other way.

bert n ernie
17-05-2010, 07:00
For modelling purposes it should be ok to have one guy with a different weapon, even in a tournament. Don't expect to be allowed to use the hand weapon and shield bonus in a game though.

FLAKPANZER
17-05-2010, 07:07
Thanks for the response, folks.

I noticed that pictures of goblin spearmen also show a champion with a hand weapon.

So in reality, it's just something that is modeled in order to set the champion apart (looks wise), not something that, according to the rules, is done with an in-game effect?

Kalandros
17-05-2010, 07:23
Indeed you can model the champion as you see fit.

T10
18-05-2010, 07:31
So in reality, it's just something that is modeled in order to set the champion apart (looks wise), not something that, according to the rules, is done with an in-game effect?

You are free to collect a unit of models with a mix of weapons and options, but the mix is entirely cosmetic. In terms of game mechanics each the unit is considered to be equipped the same way: you pay for a single common set of weapons and options, and they all use the same weapons in close combat.

There are a few exceptions: notably characters and a few champions that can in fact be armed differently from the rest of his unit.

Finally, you should ensure that the majority of your unit is armed with the weapons and options you have bought for them. That's about as far as the "wysiwyg" requirement goes...

-T10

Lord of Skulls
19-05-2010, 14:10
There is a part in the main rules (at least there was in the previous edition) that explains how Command Group models always count as being armed in the same way as the rest of the unit, despite being modeled differently. Something about them being chosen from the bravest and most skilled warriors, and this making up for the lack of a shield and such.

Though how that allows a Crossbowman Musician to kill enemies at 300 paces with a flute is beyond me ;)

shadow hunter
19-05-2010, 14:24
He puts the arrow in the flute and blows really hard.

smurfenreet
19-05-2010, 20:59
nah, the guys next to him just uses 2 arrows

Paraelix
21-05-2010, 09:00
For modelling purposes it should be ok to have one guy with a different weapon, even in a tournament. Don't expect to be allowed to use the hand weapon and shield bonus in a game though.

Except that the entire unit may opt to use HW/SH instead of Sp/Sh during any combat >_>