PDA

View Full Version : ork zzap guns

world in grey
17-05-2010, 12:34
was just wondering if anyone had thought of using the new eldar support weapons as Ork zzap guns either as heavy support gun platforms or mounted in battle wagons?

I can see them making good zzap guns with a few extra bitz bolted tied or held on with orky chewing gum to make them look looted

plus you get 3 usable guns (only 1 platform though) in the box for 15 instead of 12 for 1 terrible looking metal ork gun

Born Again
17-05-2010, 12:39
I don't think the ork guns are at all terrible looking. If you wanted too though, I can't see why a D-cannon or Vibro cannon couldn't be stuck on to a battlewagon as a zzap gun. Not sure about the shadow weaver though.

world in grey
17-05-2010, 12:45
I don't think the ork guns are at all terrible looking. If you wanted too though, I can't see why a D-cannon or Vibro cannon couldn't be stuck on to a battlewagon as a zzap gun. Not sure about the shadow weaver though.

ok they're not terrible they are just a bit dated and I can't see orks having 3 guns all looking the same anyway doesn't seem very orky

GrogDaTyrant
17-05-2010, 15:21
Why would you want to? It'd be one thing if the Zzap guns were actually worth fielding, but currently this is not the case. They're overpriced and horrifically ineffective for what should (in theory) be an anti-tank weapon. 2d6 Str averages only Str 7, which is pretty suck-tastic for a 1-shot heavy weapon that rolls it's strength value once for the entire battery, only has 1d6 for armor penetration, and still rolls to hit. Sure you CAN get Str 9 or 10 (which you need)... but only 36% of the time. Anything less than that is not only available for a lower cost from other weapons, but is also widely available in the army already.

Currently in the codex, Zzaps are only really viable if you're paranoid about 2+ save infantry (without coward-shields) or 2+ save monsters. And even then, KMB Kans can be viewed as a superior and more reliable investment. Especially since they don't automatically fold the minute guardsmen or firewarriors charge them.

hacksaaw
17-05-2010, 16:06
What Grog said. Zzap guns are among the worst units in the game now.

in the old book they were good, an average str 7 auto hit was great and gave the army some OP ranged AT for your opponent to fear.

now all they do is make your opponent laugh.

if you want to field them take a full battery, give them extra crew, and especially the rerolls for the grot crews shooting. that way they will hopefully get one shot off, of course thats the time you will roll str 3 and they cant even glance anything.

Clang
19-05-2010, 07:28
In the old codex, they autohit (but with wildly variable strength) so were useful and fun. These days, alas, the fun is gone.

Modellingwise, I don't disagree that a looted eldar big gun will make a nice zzap gun. But since a zzap gun comes in the battlewagon kit and most people don't use it, personally I'd swap/buy one of those and modify it.