PDA

View Full Version : Mount Dying in Challenge Question

bludsturm
17-05-2010, 16:30
Which of the following happens when you have a character, wielding a great weapon, on a mount that dies before you attack?:

1) Resolve any hits as if you were still on the mount (+1 S)
2) Resolve any hits as if you were now immediately on foot (+2)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ultimate Life Form
17-05-2010, 16:34
2) As the mount is obviously no longer there.

By your logic of 1) the mount would still get to attack though it's by all means dead.

bludsturm
17-05-2010, 16:42
That's what I figured but I had an opponent argue that (1) was the case - I think mostly so that my beastlord wouldn't be able to kick it up to str7 with his great weapon after his chariot fell apart.

Thanks!

Ultimate Life Form
17-05-2010, 16:44
In Close Combat things happen 'real time' so it is in fact very important to announce how you allocate your attacks before swinging the sword. It makes a big difference at times.

T10
18-05-2010, 07:10
In Close Combat things happen 'real time' so it is in fact very important to announce how you allocate your attacks before swinging the sword. It makes a big difference at times.

There is no "real time": there's a strict order of initiative.

You need to allocate your attacks before rolling to hit, yes. And it always makes a difference. It is, however, not relevant to the issue at hand.

The rules for slain monstrous mounts allow for replacing the model with a model representing the rider on foot. Do this and the rest should be abundantly clear.

-T10

Ultimate Life Form
18-05-2010, 09:43
You need to allocate your attacks before rolling to hit, yes. And it always makes a difference. It is, however, not relevant to the issue at hand.

It is, because as we have seen it is advantageous to remove threats that have yet to make their weight count. :rolleyes:

khaosgoblin
18-05-2010, 09:43
Assuming your character was going last due to his great weapon, when he comes to attack he will be on foot & thus benefit from the plus 2 strength bonus.

Khaosgoblin

T10
18-05-2010, 10:53
It is, because as we have seen it is advantageous to remove threats that have yet to make their weight count. :rolleyes:

I thought it was obvious that the attacks were indeed allocated to the chariot in the OP's game.

Your reminder that attacks must be allocated is about as helpful as a reminder of the To Hit chart or how armour save modifiers work.

-T10