PDA

View Full Version : rules- Chimera medium battle tank

Anvils Hammer
25-05-2005, 19:25
here are some rules i created by using the chimera entry in the IG codex and the VDR points costs.
I created this because i think the chimera would make a great battle tank in smaller battles, as well as being fluffy and balanced.

Chimera medium battle tank- 100 points

type- tank

armour- 12 12 10

weapons
the battle tank chimera has all the weapon options of the transport tank,
In addition, the tank may have one of the following weapons in its turret.

twin linked lascannons at +35 points
twin linked autocannons at +35 points
twin linked heavy bolters at +20 points
multi melta at +30 points
twinlinked plasma gun at 15 points
conquerer cannon at +25 points

special rules

amphibious, transport

note that the medium battle tank does NOT have hull lasguns, and can only carry 6 men, as much of the transport space is taken up by a bigger engine, extra armour and power packs for the turret weapon.

what do you think of this tank and the points costings?

x-esiv-4c
25-05-2005, 19:29
I'm assuming that this will take up a heavy slot on the FOC? It reminds me a lot of the EPIC days when we had the Chimerax, Chimerdon and Chim...something else. One had a quad linked autocannon, one had a battle cannon and one had a hunter-killer missile.

Good work however!

Anvils Hammer
25-05-2005, 20:09
ah yes, it would take up a heavy support choice, but im thinking this is a little unfair for such an underpowered tank, so you could say that up to one medium battle tank can be taken as part of the command platoon in the same way sentinals can.

Cloudscape_online
25-05-2005, 20:21
twin linked lascannons at +35 points
twin linked autocannons at +35 points
twin linked heavy bolters at +20 points

Yes these would be great, though maybe a single lascannon and drop the points by 10.

multi melta at +30 points
twinlinked plasma gun at 15 points
conquerer cannon at +25 points

Whoa, hell no. This will make the chimera qualify as a unit akin to hellhounds but better because of transport issues. Apart fom that, I like it very much. how many points?

Anvils Hammer
25-05-2005, 21:08
its 100 points basic plus weapons, which i think is reasonable, if it was pure vdr it would be around 130 basic but thats ridiculously over priced.

i think the mullit melta and tl plasma GUNS (not cannons) are fair enough additions to it, not over powering
the conquerer cannons is a very flufy option and its no more effective than an autocanno would be.

with requard to transport- allowing it to carry 6 man heavey and special weapons squads would be unfair, i do think however it should be allowed to transport command squads.

sounds fair?

worldshatterer
25-05-2005, 21:22
why does a twinlinked autocannon cost as much as a twinlinked lascannon?

rules wise i see no reason to field this tank, it cost a similar amount of points with weapons to a leman russ, and i know which is the better tank . Consider ignoring VDR altoghether, keep the transport capacity restrictions, have it cost the same base points as a chimera and field it as 1-3 per heavy support choice, perhaps have it cost a doctrine as well .

Anvils Hammer
25-05-2005, 23:31
because acording to VDR, those two weapons cost the same, i think its odd as well but never mind.
a leman rus with standard load costs 165, this one with t/l lascannon and hull heavy bolter costs 140..

humm i see you point... it needs sto cost a little more than a normal chimera to compensate for the increased armour, maby 85 points basic?

Cloudscape_online
26-05-2005, 00:01
Maths time?

Basic Chimera 70pts
Additional Side armour +30pts
Removal of fire points -10 points
Half Capacity -10pts

1xHull mount
Heavy bolter +5pts
Heavy flamer +5 pts
Twin linking for +5 pts

1xTurret mount
Multimelta +30pts
Lascannon +25pts
Autocannon +20pts
Multilaser +15pts
Twin linked Plasma Guns +15 pts
Heavy bolter +10pts
Twin linking for +5 pts

Command squads and Veterans only.

Minimum cost= 95pts, maximum cost=125pts. Reasonable enough.

worldshatterer
26-05-2005, 13:51
thats much better, and worth while in comparison to other vehicles in a similar price bracket . I'd say command squads and stormies only though, as i'd imagine they are higher up in the logistical priorities list than guardsman who have happened to survive a few years longer.

Anvils Hammer
26-05-2005, 14:50
twin linking doesnt cost 5 points, it should cost half the cost of the weapon again, so a tl lascannon wouold cost another 10 points extra.

i agree command squads and storm troopers only.

Cypher
26-05-2005, 15:24
I'm assuming that this will take up a heavy slot on the FOC? It reminds me a lot of the EPIC days when we had the Chimerax, Chimerdon and Chim...something else. One had a quad linked autocannon, one had a battle cannon and one had a hunter-killer missile.

Good work however!

Chimerro. IIRC The Chimerax has quad autocannons, the Chimedon had a lascannon, and the Chimerro had a battlecannon (the last two could have been the other way round).

schoolcormorant
04-07-2006, 16:40
it's a great idea, in the codex there is no unit which can take a multi-melta you have changed that!