PDA

View Full Version : Which Gods?

Hrw-Amen
18-05-2010, 18:23
In nearly every Imperial Guard, Space Marine, Inquisition or any other Imperial faction book from the Black Library and indeed in the W40K rules, there is usually that bit at the front that goes on about the Imperium and the Emperor sitting Imobile on his throne and being a carion lord and all that stuff.

Well I was reading a couple of Black Library books overt he last few days as I have been in hospital for an operation and had little else to do.

It got me wondering because it says that all this happens 'by the will of the gods.' Now as far as I recall the Emperor tried to do away worship of gods and the like and even now although the Imperial Eclesiarchy see him as a god, that was not the case at the time that he became imbobile on his throne and so on.

So the question is, what gods will him to be doing this? I think it cannot be the chaos gods as they are against him, and as far as I know there are no other imperial gods except the emperor? So who are these so called other gods?

Tak
18-05-2010, 18:40
The reason that the big E wanted to do away with religion was because he knew that prayer and worship fed power to the chaos pantheon of which he was opposed to. But if you mean the bit about 'thirsting gods' then thats referring to the chaos gods who were aware of mankinds existence from day one.

By the way, get well soon.:)

sycopat
18-05-2010, 18:48
I think the OP is on about this line:

"He is the Master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies."

It's a fair point, but I think it's just dramatic license, it's from the introduction to the game and it's background, but it's not an "in-universe" source.

sabreu
18-05-2010, 18:53
Consider this: The Ecclesiarchy wasn't formed until a thousand years after the Emperor's eternal death. It took longer for it to become a prominent cult, and even longer before it was the only one. Before that, every world had rural gods. That line could be a hold over from before the Emperor was a 'god'.

nagash66
18-05-2010, 18:54
Would have to agree, just a bit of drama to add to the epic might of the Big E.

Lord Damocles
18-05-2010, 18:54
They might be related to the 'Elder Gods' from Codex: Tyranids (5th ed.).

The thread about who/what they might have been didn't really come to any conclusion as far as I can remember, although the idea that they represent(ed) gods worshipped before the coming of the Imperial Creed to a world/gods who are worshipped in a minor way alongside/as lesser facets of the Emperor appeals.

The_Blind_Anarchist
18-05-2010, 19:39
Could be the Space Marines? They are the Gods of war... but yea i have often wondered what this meant, maybe the Old Ones?

sabreu
18-05-2010, 19:45
No, the space marines are the Angels of Death. Not Gods of War. That privilege is only for Marneus Calgar.

The_Blind_Anarchist
18-05-2010, 20:09
True. Maybe its a homage to the Primarchs? Or ancient gods of war such as Herecules, Alexander the Great ect ect?

El_Machinae
18-05-2010, 21:14
The line also connotes some reverence, too, which I find interesting.

Chaplain of Chaos
18-05-2010, 22:30
It seems like a classic narrative trope designed to grant authority to said figure and establish a sort of mythopoeia from which a history can be established and a world can be built.

Happens in classical and medieval literature, similar perhaps to an invocation to a muse.

Master Jeridian
19-05-2010, 00:08
Have to agree with the idea it is 'dramatic wording'.

"By the will of the gods" is very Ancient Greek, it implies divine right, being the chosen one, being beyond mortal reproach.

I wouldn't take every off-hand note in GW publications so seriously or literally- we know GW doesn't.

Hrw-Amen
19-05-2010, 15:40
Scopat: Yes that is the line I was on about.

It had never occurred to me before, but having time to think about it, I just wondered if anyone had an answer. It is a dangerous thing sometimes, having time to think.

sabreu
19-05-2010, 15:52
Actually, I just recalled that the Space Marine Codex, under the Land Raider Redeemer entry, makes mention of the inventing tech-marine dubbing the pattern the prometheus after an 'ancient' terran god who gave fire to mortals.

So yeah, thinking about, Gods still exist in a fashion in the 41st millennium.

Hunger
20-05-2010, 19:43
Could be interpreted as the will of the Old Ones?

More directly it could be the will of the Eldar gods (as opposed to the 'Elder' gods), the Eldar being manipulative and all.

Might even be the Chaos Gods themselves - sneakily promoting worship and veneration in Mankind to grow symbiotically (parasitically?). Maybe its all part of Tzeentch's masterplan.

Probably just to add hyperbolic divine weight to the Emperor's lordiship over Mankind though, as mentioned above.

grissom2006
21-05-2010, 08:33
Or maybe even a reference to the efforts that brought about his creation. After all he's said the be a life that was created wouldn't the people who created him be godly. But this part of the Emperors history would be very much not known about. Other than he lived through very much the ages of mankind when we still held onto the notions of gods.