PDA

View Full Version : Order or Operations im 40k

TheHaunted
18-05-2010, 21:40
As I was playing in 'Ard Boys this past weekend I had to play a new player the first round. I bgan to notice him taking shots that left other units with no targets, attempting multiple charges but doing the risky unit second and thus attacking two squads with one. As I pondered why he was doing this I began to realize a skill that helps transform a player from an average player to an above average gamer, not to say I am above average. The skill is what I refer to as "The Order of Operations of 40k". I will now share that with my fellow warseer gamers. This is the order in whicj I believe you should proceed to achieve maximum effectiveness from all units. I've broken it down into phases and sub phases.

MOVEMENT
1) Difficult terrain rolls
So many times I see people setting up their ultimate takeover turn and see it flubs by a key unit falling short on its terrain roll. I believe that if you move your units in terrain early you are better able to compensate for a slow unit or plan accordingly if you roll your six.
2) Line up shots for your shooting phase
The next phase to come is shooting and more often than not I see people block their own shots in a critical turn. Its is very important to identify a unit's lane of fire and protect it from yourself. Usually vehicle's are the culprit of shot blocking so their movement is key in this sub phase.
3) Move fast units
This includes vehicles, jump infantry, and any unit that moves over six in the movement phase. This movement is critical as knowing where your mobile units are allows you to more effectively analyze where your slower units can be more effective. This mobilty is often over estimated and causes a unit to be hung out to dry.
4) Slow moving units move
This is your wrap up movement where you are more securing your area of control rather than expanding or moving aggresively. You should try to make a long term move with this sub phase and plan two turns ahead with these units. Maybe consider running in the in between phases.

SHOOTING
1)Units with no options
If a unit with a shot lined up can only see one target or can only hurt one target should always be fired first. This way if the unit kills the target, other shots that have options can b re directed. Also if they were not fired first you run the risk of killing their only target with another unit and you will have wasted shots.
2)Ordanace/templates
These shots should always be fired early for a few reasons. If they were to kils 8 out of 10 marines, it gives another gun the opportunity to mop up the remains. Also the unit the template targets needs to have the most models possible in order for your weapon to have maximum effect. They should always be fired before run moves because you would have to have your thunderwolves running closer to the enemy only to get hit with a stray vindicator shell.
3) Single shot guns
These guns are good at killing tanks usually and should be fired before multiple shot weapons to give them more targets. These guns also help you avoid the temptation to overkill the remaining members of a squad when you could more easily snipe that last marine with a lascannon.
4) Multiple shot weapons
These guns excel at hitting newly emerged squads USUALLY. Therefore you don't need me to tell you that. What I am going to tell you is their real stregth lies in picking off those remnants of earlier shooting. Your assault cannons and multilasers really shine when they remove those last pesky Boyz from the table, or pop that speeder that evaded your lascannon. You should use your multiple shot guns as a compliment instead of a weapon in their own right.
5) Run
These moves are best made after you have seen the results (or lack thereof) of your shooting. Then you can more adequately decide where a unit is needed. and once again, hopefull you won't be in danger of your own stray ordinance.

ASSAULT
1) Hard to judge units
Make your first assault move the one your nervous about distance wise. This way you can later compensate for a failed charge or react with a new charge from another unit if you are within range. It is far better to be disappointed at the beggining of the phase then be cursing your slow models at the end. This sub phase also includes difficult terrain tests.
2) Easily within range
Once your "iffy" assaulters have been moved or found short, the other assault can be better informed, maybe hitting a unit you think needs two of yours to crack, or choosing a new target because an iffy unit made it afterall. This is really a no brainer sub phase.
3) Linked combat moves
Usually you make the choice to link an assult way earlier in the turn. But if you wait until this phase you are far more likely to make and informed decision. Therefore your results will be for more predictable.

Well there you have it. I appreciate all comments and criticism. I didn't think this belonged in tactics because is was more about gameplay than tactics.

IAMNOTHERE
18-05-2010, 21:45
Nice thread although I move fast units after slow ones - that way I know which lanes I need to keep clear.

Bunnahabhain
18-05-2010, 22:50
Although the concept is valid, I believe there are simply too many exceptions to make efforts to generalise like this particularly useful.

Thinking about the order of operations within each phase is important, but flows automatically from having a clear plan for the turn and game. This is before we hit external influences like Farseer powers and Guard orders.

TheHaunted
19-05-2010, 20:32
Actually orders fit in perfectly with my theory. Orders and psychic powers will factor into what that unit will be doing in upciming phases so places it in an adequate sub category.

Project2501
19-05-2010, 20:53
It's a good newbie guide (and even veteran refresher) IMO.

TheHaunted
20-05-2010, 03:32
Well thank you. I just thought out the order I do thing every game and why I do them and figured if everyone thought I was wrong I might find a way to improve my gameplay.

jsullivanlaw
20-05-2010, 17:21
Great article, as i have become a better player i started doing the things you mentioned subconsciously without thinking about it. Of course, occasionaly i take things out of order and screw things up though so maybe i will start trying to follow a set order like you suggest. One suggestion though in the shooting section: You really should shoot the single shot weapons before the big blasties. Actually, i would include all non template anti tank weapons here, including meltaguns. The reason for this is that when you manage to explode transports, blasts are more deadly if they scatter onto the guys outside of their transport as opposed to scattering onto the transport itself.

Dr.Clock
20-05-2010, 18:40
The shooting concept is sound: grouping shots together in this manner is helpful for getting the most out of shooting and affecting as many units as possible.

However, there is the other side of that equation and that is target priority: knowing what the AVOIDABLE threats are for the next turn and which of the remainder are the most threatening. Sometimes, ignoring obvious threats can set you up to isolate an unavoidable unit so that it loses momentum and next-turn relief.

Obvious example: Allowing a Daemon Prince with one or two wounds to make an assault on Guardians in cover while everyone around them concentrates on removing a forward Rhino with berzerkers.

That Daemon Prince might take the Guardians, but it will probably take a little, and you can move your Seers up in the meanwhile. Depriving the Berzerkers of the foothold should be a priority: aim for envelopment and don't let the enemy concentrate their forces in a meaningful - any minute, your units will be in assault and staying mobile will be hard.

If the most pressing target is infantry-based, I'd probably start off with applying small-arms saturation until the threat was dealt with before moving on to target further a field.

Alternatively, a mass transport advance should be dealt with immediately even if it means forsaking some shooting at newly exposed troops.

There is alot of skill involved in - to a certain extent - acknowledging that whole units are going to perish, and to consign them conservatively to their fates so long as they win you the game. Pulling the enemy out of position, stalling an advance... these are vital jobs that can be without the solace of "this unit killed" to back up the expenditure in life. In sum, don't be afraid to small fights that you won't win if it draws attention from your main attack. If a unit can tie up another that is far more valuable than itself it buys time for your other units.

Basically, think of the worst possible next two turns and do everything you can to avoid it - even if it means leaving easy targets untouched to run into a well-prepared bait unit.

Sacrifice is a vital part of war.

Cheers,