PDA

View Full Version : Peasant Army

dreadhead
19-05-2010, 17:34
I really don't like Cavalry when it comes to painting so I thought why not take a load of peasants. Here's the resulting list.

Heroes: Damsel of the lady with Dispel Scroll – 95 points.
Paladin Battle Standard Bearer on Barded Warhorse – 74 points.
Core: 8 Knights of the Realm, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Chalons – 242 points.
9 Knights Errant, Musician & Standard Bearer – 201 points.
9 Knights Errant, Musician & Standard Bearer – 201 points.
30 Men-at-arms, Musician, Standard Bearer, Yeoman Warden – 177 points.
25 Peasant Bowmen, Flaming Attacks, Villein, Standard Bearer, Musician – 175 points.
20 Peasant Bowmen, Flaming Attacks, Villein, Standard Bearer, Musician – 145 points.
20 Peasant Bowmen, Flaming Attacks, Villein, Standard Bearer, Musician – 145 points.
Rare Units: Trebuchet – 90 points.
Trebuchet – 90 points.
Army Total: 2'000 points.

So that makes Ninety Men-at-Arms, sixty-five Bowmen, and a mere twenty-six knights.

z4carlo
19-05-2010, 21:02
I cant say much about the list as im not great on Brets but i have to ask if you have considered Empire instead? an Empire infantry army will be much more competitive than a Bret peasant army, so unless you realy like them cosider taking advantage of the Detachment rules ect for Empire.

dragonet111
19-05-2010, 21:30
Hi.

I'm also a Bretonnian player and I like the theme of this list. A few knights leading an army of peasant, that's a nice setting.

But I know I won't like to play with, because this is more IMO some kind of old (I mean really old) Empire list than a Bretonnian list.

Maybe instead of the Knight errant some questing knights (that's my favorite unit is the book), for the fluff they happened to be here for the battle or something that looks like it, or some Grail knights here to protect a sacred shrine of the Lady.

Malorian
19-05-2010, 21:41
Given your low leadership general I really don't think the baitable KE are the right way to go...

Awilla the Hun
23-05-2010, 18:46
Comrade dreadhead. Comrade von Stahl sends his cordial greetings, and his advice to your noble efforts.

Whilst magical powers are all very well, a Damsel doesn't really do all that much. Use her for defence alone, perhaps, but don't use her as your general. Get at least a Bretonnian Duke for the high leadership, and keep him by the peasants for as long as possible. He helps them eliminate counter revolutionaries, and more importantly anchors their line. In addition, a Paladin with the Virtue of Empathy would also help to hold the line, especially when you have relatively few Knights.

Apart from with skirmishers (if only to get as many warm bodies as possible in that one unit), archers are best kept in small units (for greater flexibility) with a minimum of upgrades. Booting out Villeins and musicians would be good. (But, as the recent rumours indicate that battle standards may be neccessary in the next edition for objective holding, keeping the banners may be a good idea.) Braziers, however, are always useful.

Drop the Knights Errant, and replace them with Yeomen Cavalry. You will save points, get more people, and most importantly get a Fast Cavalry screen that doesn't hare off and kill stuff at random. In addition, they fit with the theme.

I hope that helps!

_dandaman_
24-05-2010, 03:27
I dont really play Bretonians too much, but wouldn't dropping a unit of KEs for a paladin with the virtue of empathy to hold you men at arms together. I think this list is actually more realistic to what a bretonian army would look like, lots of peasants led by a crack divisions of knights in a sweeping charge. I love the list, definitely play it! You also might want to make a unit of archers skirmish, to put an extra output of shots.

Anvilbrow
24-05-2010, 04:54
I run a variation of this list with a great deal of success. Although my list is more like:

Prophetess
Damsel
Damsel
Damsel
Paladin BSB with War Banner and Virtue of Duty (+3 CR himself if Prophetess is alive)
5 KOR
25 MAA
25 MAA
12 Bow
12 Bow
12 Bow
12 Bow, skirmish
6 Yeomen
6 Yeomen
Grail Reliquae w/18 Pilgrims
Trebuchet
Trebuchet

Everything has full command since they are cheap and don't give up any VPs to the opponent. Lots of magic, lots of shooting, several re-directs, a tarpit, and one hard-hitter.

thesheriff
24-05-2010, 21:10
Ar'nt peasants ws2. An army of them is a brave way to go. I would use the empier list, Same models for things like spearmen, but it means you don't have to take cavalry. There magic is better, converted trebuchets and wooden cannons would suit the theme perfectly, and you wont be hitting warriors and bloodletters on 5's

Anvilbrow
25-05-2010, 05:02
That's assuming of course that your main concern is effectiveness on the battlefield, which in my case is the least important aspect of my armies. I want my armies to have a cool theme, look cool, be fun to play, NOT be min/max cookie cutters. The peasant list fits the bill perfectly.

So I'm hitting some stuff on 5's... I'm defending Bretonnia man!!!

Maskedman5oh4
25-05-2010, 05:30
That's assuming of course that your main concern is effectiveness on the battlefield, which in my case is the least important aspect of my armies. I want my armies to have a cool theme, look cool, be fun to play, NOT be min/max cookie cutters. The peasant list fits the bill perfectly.

So I'm hitting everything but skaven slaves and goblins on 5's... I'm defending Bretonnia man!!!

A horde empire list is far from min/max IMHO.

And fix'd.

Bumble the Great
25-05-2010, 11:26
Its a good fun way to play i have a hevey pesant army also but for me your missing out on some of thefun stuff that can really shine in this sort of list. As has been mentioned above Paladin's with the virtue of empathy are really colourful suprises in the men of arm units. Also i take a max size grail relique with battle pilgrims in the centre as the stubborn little buggers do a fairly good job holding up anything really scary!

Artinam
25-05-2010, 11:43
Pilgrims and a Reliqua and a second Trebuchet is definatly the way to go.

Eta
25-05-2010, 14:55
A horde empire list is far from min/max IMHO.

So I'm hitting stuff with a WS of 5 or better on 5s... I'm defending Bretonnia man!!!

And fix'd.

Fixed it for the sake of correctness...

Greetings
Eta

Artinam
25-05-2010, 16:03
Yeah WS2 isn't that bad unless you fighting Elite High Elves or those Grail Knights. Yes you might get hit more often but even that is relative most common infantry is WS4 anyhow.