PDA

View Full Version : Which Codex should I buy?

BobtheInquisitor
20-05-2010, 05:23
So, I'm thinking of buying a codex for the fluff. I have almost every codex in 4th and earlier editions already, so I want a codex that will give me a lot of new material that isn't rehashed from previous editions. I'm mostly trying to choose between IG and SM, but I'm willing to hear opinions on if DA, SW or BA are good reads. I especially enjoy the time lines and character profiles. I absolutely do not care about rules at all, nor do I care if the book has bad balance or is over or under competitive.

I have the new Codex Orks and Codex Tyranids, and I find that Codex Orks has a lot of copy-pasta from as far back as the 1990s while Codex Tyranids has much more new material. I would prefer more new material. I also would like to see more conversions in the hobby and modeling section, as well as a lot of different color schemes. That is where Codex Tyranids was really disappointing compared to earlier editions. So, if there is a new codex that is similar to Tyranids in the amount of new material it contains or a new approach it takes, then that would be perfect.

What do you recommend? Spess Mereens? Guard? Codex: Primary Color Marines? What's good?

He who is doom
20-05-2010, 05:27
you should get the codex deamons. that is a fluff mine that is untapped. but thats just me a single drop in the ooze that is the interwebs.. or go with the BA there fluff is newer.

Maskedman5oh4
20-05-2010, 06:31
Read the Horus Heresy series. I am just started book 3.

BobtheInquisitor
20-05-2010, 07:26
Read the Horus Heresy series. I am just started book 3.

I have. I have most of the BL books, and quite enjoy them...except for certain authors. I also have many of the background books published 'in universe', such as the Uplifting Primer, Xenology, Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Horus Heresy Visions, etc..

What can I say? I like the fluff.

Project2501
20-05-2010, 07:33
If you want a lot of new material that is not rehashed from previous editions then what you want is either a DIY army or a discontinued army list.

Barring that, which army do you want to create your own fluff for?

[SD] Bob Plisskin
20-05-2010, 08:11
you should get the codex deamons. that is a fluff mine that is untapped.

This is probably the codex with the most new fluff.

Arvendragon
20-05-2010, 08:29
Find me Codex: Angels of Death. :D

Falkman
20-05-2010, 15:02
The BA codex is nice, got loads of fluff, an extensive timeline and a bunch of special characters.
And because their previous codexes (the minidex in 3rd and the WD dex in 4th) were pretty much empty on the fluff department there's loads of nice stuff.

Almost every infantry model in the paint section is kitbashed with the new BA kits as well.