PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Tyrant setups

immortal git
20-05-2010, 15:18
Ive been playing ogres for a little over six months now and have noticed that my tyrant does nothing! so i changed his build from standing in a unit of maneaters looking solid with this setup:

Tenderiser
Wyrdstone necklace
fistfull of lorrels
heavy armour
brace of handguns

too this rather amusing one

Sword of might
wyrdstone necklace
longstrider
daemon killer scars
heavy armour
ironfist

Your thoughts?

Malorian
20-05-2010, 18:29
I like this setup:

tenderiser
heavy armor
wyrdstone
luck gnoblar
mawseeker

Packs a hell of a punch and is tough as nails, and once you get him into combat you don't even need to worry about Ld 9 stupidity tests anymore.

The_Bureaucrat
20-05-2010, 20:45
Could try the more defensive Lord:
Greyback pelt (-1 to hit)
Cathayan Long sword +1 WS/Int and AP
Heavy armor
Wyrdstone
Greedy fist
Beastkiller.
Sword/Luck Gnoblars to taste

Ws3 oppenents require 6's to hit and have 4+ Sv and 5+ Ward SV. Eats magic weapons with successful ward or armor save. Does double wounds to large targets.

That said I like your first one better

Chrisorc
20-05-2010, 20:52
If you're going longstrider I presume that he will be going by himself? Slap a thiefstone or two upon him in that case. Another problem might be his leadership if he gets to far away from his low-leadership buddies.

Malorian
20-05-2010, 20:53
If you're going longstrider I presume that he will be going by himself? Slap a thiefstone or two upon him in that case. Another problem might be his leadership if he gets to far away from his low-leadership buddies.

There are always yhetees ;)

Chrisorc
20-05-2010, 21:00
Well he can't join them due to their special rule.
Longstrider belongs on a hunter, according to me, so that he and his wolves can bring the pain.

I like the tenderiser, wyrdstone and gutmaw combination.
Or the cheaper longsword and giantbreaker if you have a spare giant handy. Combine with mawseeker and Jade lion if you want to spend the points but never ever have maw without the lion. Madness I tell you.

Malorian
20-05-2010, 22:12
Baw! I take mawseeker even when my general is a bruiser :)

The small risk of stupidity is well worth the protection of the extra toughness.

outbreak
20-05-2010, 22:29
i like

tenderiser
greedy fist
wyrdstone necklace
heavy armour

or

tenderiser
greedy fist
2 thiefstones
heavy armour

Malorian
20-05-2010, 22:29
i like

tenderiser
greedy fist
wyrdstone necklace
heavy armour

or

tenderiser
greedy fist
2 thiefstones
heavy armour

Do you really find the greedy fist to be that helpful?

meneroth
21-05-2010, 03:12
my buddy runs his tyrant cheap with tenderiser and longstrider. sometimes he adds a brace of pistols too but that thing is terrifying. its hard as hell to kill and its fast enough that it can pick and choose its fights and whats gonna get to shoot at him.

kyussinchains
30-05-2010, 11:35
I swear by the thundermace myself..... nobody else seems to like the random element, but if things are super crucial, just use it as a great weapon.....

Thundermace
Mawseeker
Jade lion

I don't even bother with armour, T6 +5 wounds is plenty of protection in my book, plus most attacks capable of causing him damage are high enough strength to negate a 5+ armour save anyway.....

Vaughnilla619
31-05-2010, 01:14
No siegebreakers???

I'd go...

Siegebreaker
Wyrdstone necklace
Mawseeker
Heavy armor
2 sword gnoblars
Luck gnoblar

And whatever remaining points for magic itmes on anything else if needed.

Siegebreakers 5 S8 hits compared to enemy's initiative? Excellent for taking out units and things like a screaming bell... auto D6 wounds.

decker_cky
31-05-2010, 23:26
Not so excellent at dealing with elven lords and assassins. :P

immortal git
05-06-2010, 14:35
no not seigebreaker, my butcher has it and a tyrant doesnt need strength eight

Onidan
06-06-2010, 10:42
I personaly prefer a completely different setup, even more so when considering the 8th edition changes.

Cathayan Longsword
Brace of Handguns
Heavy Armor
Luck Gnoblar
Greedy Fist
Wyrdstone Necklace
Big Name: Giant Breaker

With this I can decide whether I want 6 attacks or intiative 5 and weapon skill 7, both with strength 6.
Some people might consider Giant Breaker a negative point, but I love the giant modell and allways have one with me anyway.

The magical equipment might change if those rumored items come true, though.

Urgat
06-06-2010, 14:29
Yeah, +3 attacks on a tyrant sound tasty, heh? :D

Braugi
06-06-2010, 21:07
I like to run him with the Tenderizer, Gut Maw, and Mawseeker in addition to heavy armor...it works great if your opponent gets lax and lets your butcher give him an additional 1 toughness then it can get nasty, and it works great against some armies or opponents that can't or won't decline challenges.