PDA

View Full Version : First game WOC 500 points

Magister_Ordo_Lyrae
21-05-2010, 05:15
So after me and my friends have gotten a bit bored of 40k we decided to try out WFB. I just picked up some WoC stuff and my friend just got skull pass to play OnG (night goblin sillyness). We are starting out with a 500 point battle tomorrow. This is my first list and though I would dearly love to use my Chaos Knights because I love the models (spikey knights riding evil carnivorous unicorns? rad) they just don't fit in a 500 point list :(. Anyways here it is:

Sorcerer, LVL 1, MoTz, Collar of Khorne, Sword of might 150

11 Chaos warriors MoTz, Halberds, shields, standard bearer 219

5 marauder horse MoS, Flails, throwing axes, Lt. Armor, Musician 101

5 Chaos warhounds 30

500 points exactly

Some explanation, I like the idea of Tzeentch themed army, but Slaanesh is just so much better for the horsemen. I justify it as the flesh (marauders) are Slaanesh and the Mind (the warriors/sorcerers) are Tzeentch. The sorcerer hangs out in the warrior block making them 6x2 and bestowing MR. I sort of know what I am facing; my friend has told me he is using the skull pass stuff with 1 lvl 1 shaman and a goblin boss (most likely with GW) with the addition of 2 fanatics.

Thoughts? comments? Criticism? please be nice its my first WFB list. :)

A Shadow
21-05-2010, 08:59
The Sword of Might on the Sorceror is kind of pointless. Drop it. Otherwise I'm not sure what else you could do. Let us know how the game goes.

_Pĸ ĿōĐ_
21-05-2010, 12:36
For a first WoC army for someone new to Fantasy I'd probably get someone to help me write a list for about 1,250 pts.... just because I think it's easier to learn with the broader range of units available in that points range. That and WoC are expensive, so it would be helpful to see how to use your marauders and your heroes/sorcerers rather than just your sorcerers.

Magister_Ordo_Lyrae
21-05-2010, 16:28
I had hoped to run more points as well but my friend only has 500 points at the moment so oh well. I have probably close to 1000.

one thing I was thinking about changing in my list is switching the throwing axes to javelins and dropping the warrior unit down to 10 saving me 22 points which would allow me to mount my sorcerer on a chaos steed and switch out the sword of might for the book of secrets. what do people think? better? worse?

Mullitron
21-05-2010, 21:53
I would drop the sword and collar off the sorc and give it a disk and golden eye instead, then drop the throwing stars off the horsemen and give the warriors mark of khorne instead of tzeentch. Nice to see a new person playing fantasy, normaly for alot of people it seems to be a second choice after 40k tho also seems to be after they play it a bit, one they stay with longer, its addictive i must warn you :p

Agnar the Howler
21-05-2010, 23:59
I'd make the sorcerer a magic monster, not many armies have a lot that can combat effective magic at 500pts, giving him the golden eye and book of secrets (possible bloodcurdling roar if you feel like it) and a disc would be a good start, using Lore of Tzeentch and Lore of Fire in conjunction. Worst case scenario is that you end up with flickering fire and fireball, best case is flickering fire and sword of rhuin, both cases are still quite good for this points level, with not much being able to resist D6+1 hits at D6+1 strength plus D6 S4 flaming hits on top or the sword of rhuin in combat.

Throwing axes on the horsemen is a bit of a shady area, same with muscician at this points level. At 750-1000+ you'll be facing units thta will be able to hold up to charges from horsemen and you'll need the musician, but the axes aren't a necessity. I'd say drop the axes and put the points towards the aforementioned sorcerer.

Apart from that and the list being a little low on bodies, I think that you have enough threats there, and I can't see a lot being able to cripple you.

goodz
26-05-2010, 11:18
or you could run 10 knights and 20 marauders!

FictionalCharacter
26-05-2010, 12:49
just thought i'd pop in to say that you may not want your priority to be as hard a 500 point list as possible if you're essentially demoing the game for somebody new...

i'd consider trying to raise the model count by switching the warriors with marauders (if you can/want to/have any) just to give more potential for maneuvering and dealing with ranks and whatnot. even just taking MoT off of your warriors buys you four or five marauders. the sword of might will give you another four or five, if i recall. as mentioned, you probably won't need sword of might against night goblins anyway. even if your buddy takes the troll it's going to be taking stupidity tests on NG leadership. honestly there's no reason why you shouldn't tear through night goblins like crazy (this is when i love taking two hand weapons on warriors). i also wouldn't worry about magic too much because you're basically always going to be rolling two PD against three DD.

marauder horsemen is a good idea though, regardless of what you arm them with. it will give everybody some practice with fast cav.

ROCKY
27-05-2010, 11:56
welcome to warhammer first off, secondly the list. u pretty much got the basics covered and the idea of screening etc, however ur horsmen do not need light armor and let them take either flails or throwing axes. (i would give them axes and mos only). then take a unit of marauders (around 20, with full command) take the hounds, and lastly make ur wizard a lvl2. and give him the power familiar and a barded steed. this gives him a 2+armor save, 6+ward, and to make things better he has 2 spells and 5 dice (so most likely will pull off both if not one a turn)

LordoftheBrassThrone
19-06-2010, 11:25
The Collar is completely useless. You are facing a single lvl 1 shaman, and then you have the same number of dispel dice as he has power dice anyway. And in his position I wouldn't target the warriors anyway, I'd be going for the marauders for easy VPs.