PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the Gods - not happy!

Eternus
21-05-2010, 08:02
Ok, I thought I'd come across something great, something wonderful! I was re-reading the battle report in which the current WoC army book made it's first appearance, Eye of the Gods and all, and in the battle report (WoC vs Dwarfs) both the Chaos Lord and Exalted Champion get rolls on the Eye of the Gods table for killing enemy Unit Champions! It even stated in the text box explaining EotG that they rolled for killing a Runesmith and 2 Unit Champions!

'Yes!' I thought, that's just what the Eye of the Gods rule needs to really drive the WoC army! And then I scoured the Errata documents to see if this is referred to anywhere, and low and behold, the WoC army book FAQ says that you do not get a roll for killing a Champion because they're not a Character. It appears you only get to roll on the EotG table for killing Champions if you work in the studio!! :eyebrows:

Paraelix
21-05-2010, 08:17
Usually the battle reports are conducted with either unfinished rules or by people who haven't sat down and spent months learning them. As such, they make mistakes or things are different in the finished product. Furthermore, the decisions of the FAQ are *actually* made by a 3rd party organisation who deal with rules queries, not necessarily GW itself (from what I have been told).

Hence you get stuff like this at the end...

The questions answered in our FAQs have been
gathered from many sources. Some have been
submitted by members of the public, others by
representatives of the online gaming community
and more still are the result of face to face
meetings with keen and inquisitive players at a
myriad of gaming events. We are always happy to
consider more questions, and aim to update these
FAQs as frequently as is practical. See the Contact
Us‚ page of the Games Workshop website for the
address to which you can send your questions.
Thanks to all those who have done so already!

Usually they address power balance issues as well... Or things that were not quite clear. In this case, wailing on unit champs for rolls is pretty darn Uber... thus it was ruled out in favour of maintaining balance.

Atrahasis
21-05-2010, 08:20
Furthermore, the decisions of the FAQ are *actually* made by a 3rd party organisation who deal with rules queries, not necessarily GW itself (from what I have been told).You have been misinformed.

All of the FAQs published by GW are produced in-house. Questions are gathered by third parties, but the answers are all GW's work.

Eternus
21-05-2010, 08:33
Usually the battle reports are conducted with either unfinished rules or by people who haven't sat down and spent months learning them. As such, they make mistakes or things are different in the finished product. Furthermore, the decisions of the FAQ are *actually* made by a 3rd party organisation who deal with rules queries, not necessarily GW itself (from what I have been told).

Hence you get stuff like this at the end...

Usually they address power balance issues as well... Or things that were not quite clear. In this case, wailing on unit champs for rolls is pretty darn Uber... thus it was ruled out in favour of maintaining balance.

In my opinion, FAQing the rule so you can't get a roll from killing Champions takes things too much the other way - the idea of the rule according to the introduction to the book in White Dwarf is that EotG is meant to drive the way the army plays,and applying the rule to killing Champions did this. Now the rule barely has any effect on the game and no effect on how people play the army. It simply isn't worth basing your plan around targetting the one or two characters in the enemy army that grant a roll. It's a side effect rather than a driving imperative like it was meant to be and how it was described when the army book was released. Especially as you can sacrifice a unit champion to protect a Hero or Lord from a challenge and also prevent a roll on the EotG table even when there is en enemy Lord or Hero present!

T10
21-05-2010, 11:16
The Eye of the Gods roll is as much a deterrent to your opponent as it is an incentive for you: Your opponent will be wary of committing monsters and characters to fight your characters.

If you really like the EoG table, take Warshrine. Your opponent can't stop you from using that. :)

-T10

Godgolden
21-05-2010, 14:01
play WOC, never killed an enemy hero in a duel yet..

i was as annoyed about the silly errata as you, people just sacrifice a champion and tag your rank and file meaning the rules pointless, not to mention its takne into account on their points.

long for the day they realise their mistake and do a 180' like the furious charge and counter assault :)

Zarryiosiad
21-05-2010, 14:40
I'm with T10 on this one. When I field a WoC army, I normally take two Warshrines with the mark of Slaanesh. That way I can grant two rolls to a unit if necessary. It paid off at a recent tournament, when I managed to grant a unit of 25 Marauders of Slaanesh +1 attack and Stubborn/4+ Ward save in the same turn. They managed to charge and defeat a unit of 12 Chosen Warriors of Khorne.

But I do see where you're coming from. Off the top of my head I can't remember a single instance of actually getting a roll on the EotG chart from a challenge. I think the balance issue really did swing the pendulum the wrong way with that ruling.

Zarryiosiad

Paraelix
21-05-2010, 14:52
EotG is also there to offset your need to issue challenges...

EDIT- Besides... Chaos characters already eat units alive... why complain?

Witchblade
21-05-2010, 17:10
EDIT- Besides... Chaos characters already eat units alive... why complain?
Are we playing the same game?

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any point to this thread other than to whine, so I think this should be moved to General Discussion.

theunwantedbeing
21-05-2010, 17:29
Eye of the Gods would be better if it was simply a bonus roll for defeating an opponent in a challenge. But sadly thats not the case and the best use for the eye of the gods is with a warshrine (or 2) to boost chosen or some similarly powerful unit.

Rather than killing enemy character's with your characters.

Which does somewhat ruin the concept of it, as its a unit booster ability more than anything.

Zoidia
22-05-2010, 07:49
Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any point to this thread other than to whine, so I think this should be moved to General Discussion.
Agreed......

Cider
24-05-2010, 13:51
LOL one thing to remember when playing though is that errata is rules changes and FAQ are not. it even says it on the document.

lots of people think they are one in the same but in truth FAQ's are not rules that need to be followed at all.

What's the difference between Errata and FAQs?
As it is rather obvious from their name, these documents include two separate elements - the Errata and the FAQs. In case you were wondering, 'Errata' is a posh (Latin!) way to say 'Errors', and 'FAQs' stands for 'Frequently Asked Questions'. It is important to understand the distinction between the two, because they are very different.

The Errata are simply a list of the corrections we plan to make on the next reprint of the book to fix the mistakes that managed to slip into the text (no matter how many times you check a book, there are always some!). These are obviously errors, for example a model that has WS3 in the book's bestiary and WS4 in the book's army list. The Errata would say something like: 'Page 96. Replace WS3 with WS4 in the profile of the so-and-so model'.

The Errata have the same level of 'authority' as the main rules, as they effectively modify the published material. They are 'hard' material. It is a good idea to read them and be aware of their existence, but luckily there are very few of them for each book.

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'. They are, of course, useful when you play a pick-up game against someone you don't know, or at tournaments (i.e. when you don't have a set of common 'house rules' with the other player). However, if you disagree with some answers and prefer to change them in your games and make your own house rules with your friends, that's fine. In fact we encourage you to shape the game around your needs and your taste. We firmly believe that wargaming is about two (or more!) people creating a gaming experience they are both going to enjoy. In other words, you might prefer to skip the FAQs altogether and instead always apply the good old 'roll a dice' rule whenever you meet a problematic situation.

- Games Development, November 2008

logan054
24-05-2010, 14:09
Eye of the Gods would be better if it was simply a bonus roll for defeating an opponent in a challenge.

I dislike alot of thigs about the eye of the gods rules, one is that scroll caddies have to issue challenges (poor guys :( ), if my Unit champions are gone then my heroes spend the rest of the game fighting unit champions, my only hope is that we see a change to the challenge rules or something or we get some common magic items that help with challenges.

Waagh Rider
24-05-2010, 14:15
We use this as a house rule, it's way too easy for an opponent to let a unit champion be sacrificed in the first round, and it makes the game more interesting for the WOC player.