PDA

View Full Version : whats the best combo for a slann?

killerbot
21-05-2010, 09:30
Hey, i am new to LM and need to slann it up a bit.

i was thinking giving him the whole of one lore, immune to non magical attacks, extra power dice and magic resistant 3. also i would give him the item which allows me to hold back 2 POwer dice a turn.

not quite sure if he would be safe on his own though.

also going to be running 2 priests and an EoTG who will obviously decrease the casting of Heavens as the slann can always take care of himself. and not really sure what to give these guys as upgrades go, all lvl 2 of course. and probs the war drum on the steg.

Slann is the BsB Btw, so was really wanting temple guard, but i not got enough cash to buy the models :(

any thoughts?

thx

mike.

bcpease201
21-05-2010, 09:48
This should probably be moved to the tactic forum, as I really don't see a rule question here. :confused:;)

Ultimate Life Form
21-05-2010, 11:25
The setup looks nice enough to me. The extra dice are practically a must, everything else is debatable. For example Regeneration doesn't probably hurt, too.

By the way take note that under the new 8th Edition rules this army setup will most likely be utterly illegal (so there are rules involved after all :D), so don't waste your money on models you probably won't use.

killerbot
21-05-2010, 11:27
nah i already have the steggy and slann and all the priests, so i will find a way of using them all, and i get at least 1 month of gaming with them :D

Codsticker
21-05-2010, 16:19
This should probably be moved to the tactic forum, as I really don't see a rule question here. :confused:;)

Indeed. Thread moved.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

MuNsTeNbRaU
22-05-2010, 15:58

i was thinking giving him the whole of one lore, immune to non magical attacks, extra power dice and magic resistant 3. also i would give him the item which allows me to hold back 2 POwer dice a turn.

also going to be running 2 priests and an EoTG who will obviously decrease the casting of Heavens as the slann can always take care of himself. and not really sure what to give these guys as upgrades go, all lvl 2 of course. and probs the war drum on the steg.

Slann is the BsB Btw, so was really wanting temple guard, but i not got enough cash to buy the models :(

any thoughts?

thx

mike.

If you have a level 4 slann, and 2 priest thats 6 dispel dice plus the stupid amount of scrolls that you are thinking of taking. So i would not rate the MR3 as being worth it. Also if you are a level 4 do you need to know the other two spells?

Gaargod
23-05-2010, 01:48
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208740&highlight=slann

This question comes up a lot and is also discussed in tactics thread. Basically it comes down to:

Focus of Mystery
Focused Rumination
Becalming Cogitation
Cupped Hands
Bane Head
Scroll/power stone/2 power stones

You definitely do *not* want Diadem of Power. Its strictly a defensive item (and if you will probably have enough dice/scrolls anyways) AND you can only use your own power dice to store, not the pools. Its generally taken on a single lv2 skink priest with scroll, to provide about 5 DD and a scroll as 150pts of magic protection.

Agnar the Howler
23-05-2010, 18:11
Focus of Mystery
Focused Rumination
Becalming Cogitation
Cupped Hands
Bane Head
Scroll/power stone/2 power stones

I actually think that the scroll/stone options aren't necessary, with one being covered by caddies and the other not really being needed (or i've never needed it). I'd actually prefer MR3 or Immunity to all but magical attacks over those. My Slann runs like:

Focus of Mystery
Focused Rumination
Becalming Cogitation
Higher State of Consciousness (occasionally Unfathomable Presence)
Cupped Hands
Divine Plaque of Protection (precautionary item, for use in the event of magical cannonballs or bolt throwers etc. Not necessary)
Bane Head (If not taking the divine plaque)
BSB (Obvious choice, occasionally a magical banner too, usually the warbanner but sometimes the plaque of dominion, especially handy against most armies who's wizards are only in the region of Ld6-8)

That's my usual set-up, and he's only died twice (all due to 2 on the miscast table, first because the FAQ was unavaliable online, so my opponent thought I was BSing about being able to use cupped hands, second because I rolled a 1 when using cupped hands).

Of course, it's really up to you.

Heimagoblin
23-05-2010, 20:21
Very wasteful setup imo. All you need is love and a slann, bsb, becalming cogitation, free power dice per spell, cupped hands, plauge of tepok and possibly bane head if you feel like splashing out.

PurchasedPig
23-05-2010, 20:53
In the new edition of course there is always the possibility that the best equipment for a Slaan may just be... another Slaan.

- PurchasedPig -

Agnar the Howler
23-05-2010, 22:05
Very wasteful setup imo. All you need is love and a slann, bsb, becalming cogitation, free power dice per spell, cupped hands, plauge of tepok and possibly bane head if you feel like splashing out.

Not in the slightest, those 4 disciplines have really made me confident that it's a good choice, with the divine plaque/bane head/magic banner being completely and utterly optional and mood dependant. I've managed to pull the "Fine, shoot me with a cannon... you hit! Too bad i'm immune to it's attack." card a good few times now, and it helps when i'm using him w/o temple guard, since he draws magic missiles away from my troops, and utilises the 2+ ward save from the divine plaque if one manages to IF or I don't manage to dispel it.

Focus of Mystery, Becalming Cogitation and Focussed Rumination are all good and well, but I prefer being able to spend 50pts on making him immune to all but magic (most of which he can dispel, the remnants of which he can Law of Gold away) than spending over 200pts on temple guard.

As for your set-up, it's illegal, you can't have the plaque of tepok and cupped hands on the same Slann since they're both arcane items, so unless you're feeling lucky (punk) you could either drop the plaque and stick, or go for focus of mystery instead.

But I still challenge how my set-up is very wasteful, especially if I use it all.

Heimagoblin
23-05-2010, 23:46
Because if you have a 2+ ward against range you don't need ethereal.I'd rather skimp on a slann and get templeguard. To be honest naked slann are gunna be much more common ( not sure thats a good thing tho!) Because you can fit 2 in 2250

Agnar the Howler
23-05-2010, 23:47
Because if you have a 2+ ward against range you don't need ethereal.

Remember that I said that the divine plaque is optional and I don't always take it, you're assuming that I pile everything on at the same time.

MuNsTeNbRaU
24-05-2010, 10:51
If the slann miscasts, what would happen if he was to bounce the spell against a tomb king army? Would it hurt just the lich priests or could the king and prince also suffer a miscast?

In the game that the OP is going to be playing the slann is not going to be with temple guard so i think some ward or etherial would help.

Dungeon_Lawyer
24-05-2010, 18:27

any thoughts?

thx

mike.

sell one of the eotg's (since they will be taking a major hit in effectiveness anyway in 8th) and get yourself some temple guard-Then replace immune to non-magical attacks with becalming agitation.

Agnar the Howler
24-05-2010, 18:30
sell one of the eotg's (since they will be taking a major hit in effectiveness anyway in 8th) and get yourself some temple guard-Then replace immune to non-magical attacks with becalming agitation.

10pts for the oxymoron :p

Dungeon_Lawyer
24-05-2010, 18:33
lol i never thought about that!

BushCraft
26-05-2010, 21:00
Errrrr...pretty sure its "cogitation" not "agitation" but I gotta admit I like your version better

Malorian
26-05-2010, 22:50
I still think that all you need is to make him a bsb and get an extra dice.

Banehead is nice at times but not needed.

With all the points you save from not taking all those other powers you can get a killy scarvet which will be moer helpful more often.

Heimagoblin
26-05-2010, 22:57
I Agree with malorian.