PDA

View Full Version : Your one piece of advice

Smiling Banshee
21-05-2010, 10:37
If you could give one and only one useful piece of advice to a newb starting out in WFB, what would that be?

Can be relating to painting, army construction, tactics, attitude, anything really.

Kriegschmidt
21-05-2010, 10:42
Buy models that you like, which you can engage with and use to create enjoyable, stimulating fantasy games.

This should ensure that you have an emotionally fulfilling experience in WFB and get the most out of the hobby. It should also safeguard you against slipping into the "everyone on the net says this list will beat everything therefore I must have it" trap, which IMO leads to hollow experiences based solely on winning, where you don't really care about the sprawling fantasy environment in which you're immersed.

Hope that helps!

And welcome to the hobby! I hope you have fun. I wish I could re-live the excitement of first getting into 40k :)

sigur
21-05-2010, 10:46
If you want to play actively, don't read Warseer or any other forums too much. ;) Will only get you jaded and cynical about the whole thing.

Smiling Banshee
21-05-2010, 10:47
Good answer Kriegschmidt. Im not actually a newb myself but thought a topic like this would be a really useful read to newbies and veterans alike.

Kriegschmidt
21-05-2010, 10:53
Cheers. I think sigur's answer echoes the sentiment of mine too.

Gorbad Ironclaw
21-05-2010, 11:06
If you could give one and only one useful piece of advice to a newb starting out in WFB, what would that be?

Can be relating to painting, army construction, tactics, attitude, anything really.

Can I give two?

First one would be to find a good group of people you enjoy spending time with and then play with them. If you got that Warhammer is fun and the rest doesn't really matter too much.

The second would be to play something else. It sort of feeds into my first one and to an extend sigur's advice as well, but yeah.

Firmlog
21-05-2010, 11:37
Always wear sunscreen.

Kriegschmidt
21-05-2010, 11:38
Always wear sunscreen.

This is rubbish advice. How can you enjoy the feeling of Nudehammer when you've got a layer of chemicals over your skin?

1) Clothes off, 2) scrub down, 3) play Warhammer. In that liberating order.

Tokugawa100
21-05-2010, 11:49
Play a couple of practice games at your local store before going out and buying a whole army, ease into it to see if you enjoy it.

I really love Warhammer Fantasy though, only problem is no one wants to play it, in my area its all about 40k and very few people play fantasy, soi its not worth me getting into it.

Steam_Giant
21-05-2010, 11:52
Army construction tip:

Decide which units you will use to deal with threats such as:

Warmachines
Skirmishers (woodland?)
Large monsters
Heavy cavalry
Fast Cavalry
Static Combat blocks
Elite 'Killy' units
Flying Chargers
Flying March blockers
Ambushing units
Spell Casters
Super Lords/Heroes
Tanks

This maybe something you develop as you play.

Kriegschmidt
21-05-2010, 12:01
Army construction tip:

Decide which units you will use to deal with threats such as:

[snip]

While this is sound advice for building an effective army list, I think it's less important than making sure that you get into the right mindset for the hobby in the first place. If you love the models you play with and love the Fluff that you're immersed in, then developing a "take-all-comers" army list becomes less important to you.

My $0.02 :)

snottlebocket
21-05-2010, 12:07
Don't be an *******.

Plagueridden
21-05-2010, 12:57
look outside the GW Box;

there are so many more cool games & models out there, which also allows you skirmish etc.
dont stare yourself blind on WHFB or GW related products ;)

The SkaerKrow
21-05-2010, 13:07
Stop what you're doing. Go join a softball league, a recreational center or a book club instead. This really is a pretty lousy hobby to be a part of.

Zujara
21-05-2010, 13:12
Advice I wish I picked up on sooner: Thin your paints, 2 thin coats is far better than 1 thick coat!

Tarliyn
21-05-2010, 13:49
2 pieces:

take everything read on here with a grain of salt.

Buy models you like

Now slightly off topic

Stop what you're doing. Go join a softball league, a recreational center or a book club instead. This really is a pretty lousy hobby to be a part of.

Advice like this is not very help to anyone, just because some have become jaded doesnt make this a poor hobby or a poor system.

steppingonyou
21-05-2010, 13:54
dont take wooden nickels

Memnos
21-05-2010, 13:55
Personal advice tip:

Before going to the GW store to play, have a shower, scrub hard and use soap and then use deodorant.

It doesn't have to be anti-perspirant. I don't care if you look like someone covered you in grease as long as you don't stink.

Ramius4
21-05-2010, 13:55
No matter what have fun. Winning the game is the objective, having fun is the point. Don't confuse the two.

Laton
21-05-2010, 14:00
Don't forget the most important rule.

ChaosVC
21-05-2010, 14:21
You sure you want this?

Vaiuri
21-05-2010, 14:26
Painting yellow is a bad idea unless you WANT to be there for hours on each model.

musical
21-05-2010, 14:27
Don't do anything stupid

The SkaerKrow
21-05-2010, 14:47
Advice like this is not very help to anyone, just because some have become jaded doesnt make this a poor hobby or a poor system.You're talking about someone who's hypothetically about to enter a hobby that's becoming increasingly cost prohibitive, is socially backwards and seems to cause just as much (if not more) consternation in its participants as it does actual entertainment. Instead of wasting time and money on something with so little return, try something that will broaden your horizons, strengthen your social circle or challenge you athletically.

You might not like or agree with it, but that's my honest answer to the OP's question.

Mangobreeder
21-05-2010, 14:56
buy one unit at a time, a finish painting that one before you buy another

Sureshot05
21-05-2010, 15:51
Pick the models and play style that appeals to you, ignore the "but this is the most powerful" crowd or it's a boring side to play as. If you're gonna get interested and play them, you need to have that initial interest to get you through.

Other good bits of advice:

- Thin your paints (as said above!)
- Don't forget your core (I've seen a few new players go very character heavy when starting and it always goes wrong).
- Remember that the point of the game is to have fun, the aim of the game is to win. Never get these two muddled up.
- If you stick to the rule that you make sure that your opponent is having a fun game, and be courteous, you'll rarely go wrong.

Kriegschmidt
21-05-2010, 16:19
Pick the models and play style that appeals to you, ignore the "but this is the most powerful" crowd or it's a boring side to play as. If you're gonna get interested and play them, you need to have that initial interest to get you through.

Other good bits of advice:

- Thin your paints (as said above!)
- Don't forget your core (I've seen a few new players go very character heavy when starting and it always goes wrong).
- Remember that the point of the game is to have fun, the aim of the game is to win. Never get these two muddled up.
- If you stick to the rule that you make sure that your opponent is having a fun game, and be courteous, you'll rarely go wrong.

All good stuff, but I particularly like the last one.

papabearshane
21-05-2010, 16:32
Just have fun with the "GAME" dont get to emotional when things dont go the way you planned. It takes two to play and there will be one looser if "YOU" dont enjoy the game.

SilentCivilian
21-05-2010, 16:49
Try to find a group who want to play the same way as you. If your armies theme is the most important part to you rather than having the super killy death list then (no offence meant) but playing hard core tournament players is probably not for you. And vice versa.

Gaargod
21-05-2010, 16:52
Proxy.

Seriously, play around with a couple of armies (using friend's/stores) for a while before you pick anything. You may think that the dwarf fluff is awesome and like the models, but then actually hate playing with them.

Regardless of what anyone says, how an army plays on the battlefield is always going to be a big factor on game enjoyment. If you go to a hardcore store with very soft orcs n goblins, you're going to die horribly game after game. That sort of kills the fun...

vinush
21-05-2010, 17:21
Just one piece of advice?

Ok, how about never trust a dog with ginger eyebrows? :p

In all seriousness, make sure you choose the right army to use and paint it as you buy it.

I've collected HE since 5th edition, and i still don't have a fully painted army above 1000 points despite having close to 3k's worth of stuff. My Emire army are similar, except I have over 3k painted, and a further 1.5k to paint.

I'd also like to second the advice of not forgetting your core. My Undead "army" (back at the very start of 5th ed) consisted of almost 2k of characters and barely 500 points of troops.

THE \/ince

big squig
21-05-2010, 17:30
Don't pay an army because someone tells you it's strong, and don't avoid playing an army because someone told you they're weak. Play the army that looks and sounds coolest to you.

Rochr
21-05-2010, 17:31
Don't be a sour loser or a over zealous winner.

Biel496
21-05-2010, 17:32
Don't forget the most important rule.
No means yes?

Clymer
21-05-2010, 17:39
Learn to lose with grace.

When you're new or trying out something new, you're going to lose... a lot. Play to the end and with a good attitude and you will learn more and improve far faster than if you give up or get angry at an opponent or army.

It's ironic, but the only way to win a lot is by learning how to lose.

yabbadabba
21-05-2010, 17:44
When the chips are down, your back is against the wall and you feel like throwing your models and dice at the closest hard surface.....

....talk like a pirate :)

big squig
21-05-2010, 17:49
No means yes?
It was until I got that restraining order...

Frankly
21-05-2010, 18:45
Price!

Ask around about the price of models, don't be put off by the game becauce of GW prices. Ask people who know where to get second hand models to help you out.

The price of playing the game is the biggest factor turning away young players at our club atm. So some older players get together and help younger players and/or their parents buy models off ebay(for example)so atleast they can start getting 500 or 1000 pts games in.

You can't teach the young fellas anything if they don't have an army to build, paint and power game with.

Ohhhh, my girlfriend said that more noobs should check their B.O..

bluemage
21-05-2010, 18:57
I'm gonna go with bathe. And remember that winning and having fun aren't always the same thing.

Lowmans
21-05-2010, 20:10
Laugh when you lose.

Agoz
21-05-2010, 20:43
Read through your army book (also buy the army book) Before building your army.

Nocculum
21-05-2010, 20:46
Don't be an *******.

This thread should have been closed and won with this, perfect advice ;)

defunct
21-05-2010, 21:16
Really hard to pick just one. I'll just go with...

Thin down your paints! :)

ooglatjama
21-05-2010, 22:13
Don't waste bitz

willowdark
21-05-2010, 22:24
Take the game seriously, but not the games.

TheDireAvenger
21-05-2010, 22:28
It's always a good day to learn to paint well! Try to have your entire army painted before playing.

NightAngel
21-05-2010, 23:16
Don't start with deamons just don't I once heard a story about how a new player read lots of warseer formes, build a deamon list of EPIC DEATH and was told to leave the second he took it out at his local gaming club.

Deon
21-05-2010, 23:34
try to always have fun!! And do not take the game to seriously, it is just a game :-)

ftayl5
22-05-2010, 00:15
Play the army you like, not necesseraly the one that win's.

Agnar the Howler
22-05-2010, 00:21
Don't start with deamons just don't I once heard a story about how a new player read lots of warseer formes, build a deamon list of EPIC DEATH and was told to leave the second he took it out at his local gaming club.

I'm not sure they're allowed to kick someone out for their army choice, he could potentially sue the store for discrimination or for conning him out of the money he used to buy a perfectly game legal army that he isn't allowed to field, whoever kicked him out was treading on really thin ice.

Anywho, my advice is to use deodorant. It'll get you more friends than just playing a fair or fairly competative list.

willowdark
22-05-2010, 00:24
Nerd BO might not be the most offensive, but it's certainly the most abundant.

theunwantedbeing
22-05-2010, 01:20
Dont put your drink near your water pot.

endless
22-05-2010, 01:22
play 1st ed. wfrp

Mictlan
22-05-2010, 07:43
Whenever you finish a batltle, no matter if you won or lost, ask your oponent what mistakes did you make, youll learn much faster

ftayl5
22-05-2010, 10:59
Dont put your drink near your water pot.

I did that once, I looked up after a while and my Sprite was purple!

22-05-2010, 14:54
Remember at all times the Internet is full of crybabies and whiners.

TheDarkDuke
23-05-2010, 04:35

Don't spend a dime until the new edition is released.

Wintersdark
23-05-2010, 08:03
If you want to play actively, don't read Warseer or any other forums too much. ;) Will only get you jaded and cynical about the whole thing.

This is true. Every time I've stopped playing it's been aided (not completely because of, mind you) of internet forum-assisted disgruntlement.

Paraelix
23-05-2010, 08:11
Is there a reason so many people are on a forum for a game, and yet are telling people to go elsewhere to find fun? Just a thought...

Wintersdark
23-05-2010, 14:27
Is there a reason so many people are on a forum for a game, and yet are telling people to go elsewhere to find fun? Just a thought...

It's true, though. At least in my experience, non-forum folk are enormously happier with the game, and don't have anywhere near as many rules issues as a lot of contentious issues simply never come up, because they just don't think of them.

In non-forum groups, the metagame is vastly different from how it's described on here as well.

That said, I'm here because I like to ramble about the game, and I'm interested in other people's viewpoints.

Angelic Dawn.
23-05-2010, 19:18
Oooh, very usefull thread.

And Im seconding the "Please wash Up" as advice to everyone out there :P

(Ps: Here to learn about the game, And modeling, Some Happy Chatty Banter, and other stuff :) )

Arkfatalis
23-05-2010, 19:26
If you realise that you are loosing, don't just quit, try weird and strange tactics, and enjoy what is left of the game.

starlight
23-05-2010, 19:39
Learn to lose with grace.

When you're new or trying out something new, you're going to lose... a lot. Play to the end and with a good attitude and you will learn more and improve far faster than if you give up or get angry at an opponent or army.

It's ironic, but the only way to win a lot is by learning how to lose.

If you realise that you are loosing, don't just quit, try weird and strange tactics, and enjoy what is left of the game.

The most important factor I've come across regarding keeping people in the game is related to these two...

Understand that losing is part of the game...a very important part, because we tend to remember and learn from our mistakes more than our victories. You *should* lose about 50% of your games. More when you're starting, fewer as you learn the rules and how your army plays, but if you game with a group that play at your level, you should lose as many games as you win... This is a game that relies on random chance (dice) for much of what happens, so if you find that you're winning all the time, then it's more likely an imbalance somewhere than any tactical *genius* on your part.

It's a game, played with toys...having fun playing with your mates should be the most important part, not *winning* :rolleyes: a game of toy soldiers at the expense of fun...

But hey, that's me... :p

mitsukai
23-05-2010, 22:25
Don`t know if anyones said this already but my biggest piece of advice is :-

Always approach the game with a open mind and never be afraid to learn a lesson from the game

SPSchnepp2
23-05-2010, 22:50
Personal advice tip:

Before going to the GW store to play, have a shower, scrub hard and use soap and then use deodorant.

It doesn't have to be anti-perspirant. I don't care if you look like someone covered you in grease as long as you don't stink.

/thread.

(ten characters ten characters ten characters)

-Grimgorironhide-
23-05-2010, 23:34
Mine: Never buy directly from GW, unless it's absolutely nescessary. Save your cash!

cheers.

CrystalSphere
24-05-2010, 00:42
Stick to one or two armies at most, your pockets will thank you. Donīt fall into the GW trap, they are not pokemon, you donīt have to cath them all.

Firmlog
24-05-2010, 02:41
LIES!

Yes, you do gotta "catch em' all"

:)

starlight
24-05-2010, 02:58
*looks at hobby room full of armies...* :(

Too late... :(

Wintersdark
24-05-2010, 05:47
Ooooooooh, we DON'T have to collect them all?

Doh.

Magic Karl
24-05-2010, 10:38
My advice, when using chinchilla sand water down the PVA 30/70-50/50 sort of area, and be consistent.

I wasted a long day building that gaming table, to have it all scrape off immediately after drying.