12 Glade Guard, command (168)

12 Dryads (144)

12 Dryads (144)

15 Eternal Guard, command (210)

Special

8 Wardancers, command (165)

Rare

Treeman (285)

My strategy, as you may be wondering, is to use the Highborn with the scouts, using his bound spell and magical arrows to slow down and turn around hard hitting units on the other side. Then I am using the Noble with the Eternal Guard, for a light infantry killer. Then I will use the spellweaver to try and take down one lord/hero, then move a forest into any shooting lines they might have. My dryads and treeman will then smash the rest of his army, while the glade guard pursue light infantry and the fleeing units from the Highborne. Wardancers will just generally ****** stuff up like normal.

Any Suggestions will be MASSIVELY appreciated, as I don't know much about WE. This list just falls short of 2,250. What do you guys think?

Magic Karl
21-05-2010, 11:53
I'm new as well, but form what I've discovered: Glade guard- always in units of 10 with just a musician. Dryads are best in units of 8, eternal guard... hold out 'till 8th edition to find their usefulness. Other than that, your hero/lord choices seem good enough, they fit with your strategy.

_Pĸ ĿōĐ_
21-05-2010, 12:32
I'm new as well, but form what I've discovered: Glade guard- always in units of 10 with just a musician. Dryads are best in units of 8, eternal guard... hold out 'till 8th edition to find their usefulness. Other than that, your hero/lord choices seem good enough, they fit with your strategy.

Yeah I have noticed that too - but why are the units good in those numbers? And yeah, I was unsure about the eternal guard from the start...

w3rm
21-05-2010, 16:58
No cavalry? Woodies have the best cavalry in the game!

Wolf 11x
21-05-2010, 17:52
Lords

Wood Elf Highborn
Scout
Light Armor
Shield
The Bow of Loren
Starfire Arrows
A Befuddlement of Mischeifs (261)

Heroes

Wood Elf Noble
Light Armor
Add. Hand weapon
Eternal
A Murder of Spites (106)

Spellsinger
Level 2 Wizard
A Lamination of despairs (150)

Core

10 Glade Guard, Scouts, standard (182)

14 Glade Guard, command (192)

12 Dryads (144)

12 Dryads (144)

15 Eternal Guard, command (210)

Special

8 Wardancers, command (165)

Rare

Treeman (285)

My suggestions:

1) Completely reconfigure your heroes. You have really odd equipment setups, and they're not going to kill much of anything. If you just have to have a Lord, I'd go with a TMA. The "Standard Alter" build works very well; this is a Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt, Alter Kindred, and Great Weapon. I'd run an Alter Kindred Noble, Branchwraith with Level 1 and Cluster of Radiants, and a Spellsinger Scroll Caddy. As it is, you're not going to get any magic off.
2) Glade Guard should always be 10-strong
3) Dryads should always be 8-strong
4) I would lose the Eternal Gaurd
5) I would lose the Wardancer command (and perhaps drop them to 7)
6) Get some cavalry :)

I'm not suggesting you copy me, as this list is a bit weird and can be hard to use, but here is my 2250:

The Sylvan Host
Treeman Ancient - Annoyance of Netlings, Cluster of Radiants
Wood Elf Noble - Alter Kindred, Great Weapon, Light Armor, Shield, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow
Wood Elf Noble - BSB, Sword of Might, Light Armor, Stone of the Crystal Mere
Spellsinger - 2 Dispel Scrolls
10 Glade Guard
10 Glade Guard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
7 Wardancers - Musician
7 Wardancers - Musician
6 Wild Riders
6 Wild Riders - Standard Bearer, Warbanner
Treeman
Total - 2249

Just food for thought. Note my list is under 7th edition; I ignore 8th ed rumors. :)

Neo44
28-05-2010, 11:42
Howdy!

Been playing the WE for about 1.5 years now, so had a chance to try a lot of different things. It looks like you are going for the really shooty option, which is cool, but if you are interested to see what a combat heavy list might look like then let me share with you my 'usual' 2250 list.

(keep in mind that i am running this from memory as i dont have the book on hand atm, also this is based on 7ed rules)

CHARACTERS

Highborn
-Wardancer Kindred
-Annoyance of Nettlings
-Blades of Loec
-Stone of the Crystal Mere

Noble
-BSB
-LA
-GW
-Amber Pendant

Spellsinger
-Lvl 2
-Elven Steed
-Dispel Scroll
-Calaingors Stave

Branchwraith
-Lvl 1
-Cluster of Radients
-Dispel Scroll

CORE

10 GG

6 Scouts

5 Glade Rider (musician)
5 Glade Rider (musician)
5 Glade Rider (musician)

10 Dryads

SPECIAL

8 Wardancers (command)
8 Wardancers (command)

3 Treekin

RARE

Treeman

Great Eagle

The typical setup will see one flank set with the Highborn, Noble, 1 unit of wardancers, treekin, treeman to create a powerful and mobile strike force. Redirection is handled by the great eagle and scouts.

Other flank is set up with 3 units of glade riders (and if required another unit of wardancers-for some combative threat on that flank) This is an excellent delay tactic and with the wardancers there it makes people tentative of moving anything down this flank due to the likelihood of being redirected all game or being flank attacked (and subsequently shredded by wardancers)

Glade guard set up in a central position with the dryads nearby offering protection (in case of dwarf miners, skaven gutter runners etc)

magic users in the usual spot (hiding where they will not die...)

gogs78
28-05-2010, 18:21
@ Wolf 11x

Great minds.......

My list is identical apart from bsb. Must be a good list!

VoodooJanus
28-05-2010, 19:12
I originally played a list quite similar to the one you just outlined, and it suffers from some serious drawbacks.

1) There is no 'fast moving' element in the army. This is vastly important because Wood Elves' primary strength lies in the ability to outmaneuver if not outrun the opponent. On this count, I'd at least switch out one of your smaller blocks of Glade Guard for Glade Riders.

2) The shooting you DO have is unwieldy and difficult to protect. As it is, 10 Glade Guard (the minimum) is about as many as you want, in order to maximize shots. When 8th comes out, this may change, but for now, stick with ten.

3) Your characters are a little bizarre. I'm not sure what the item combos are supposed to be doing, but they're I can't see the equipment + upgrades complementing each other. Some of the big favorites are the Alter Highborn.

Highborn
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Alter Kindred

This gives you a highly mobile shooting platform, perfect for taking out those annoyingly armored knights. The downside is you don't get to benefit from the ld10 net that is usually granted by other highborn. Another set up that you may find interesting is the Great Eagle Noble, who is a staple in my army.

Noble
Hail of Doom Arrow
Great Eagle
Helm of the Hunt
Spear

This gives you a highly mobile combat hero, who can also put out a one-turn volley of doom on anyone who seems too threatening.

If you decide that 'mobile WE' are the way to go, my favorite 'Sethayla' list, as the style is known, looks like the following:

Alter Noble 180
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Glamourweave (gives extra help against returning fire)

Noble (general)
Great Eagle
Hail of Doom Arrow
Helm of the Hunt
Spear
Light Armor
Shield

Glamourweave Spellsinger on a Unicorn 175
2x dispel scrolls (or calingor's staff and a dispel scroll)

A spellsinger is optional here, mostly for magic defense. If I do take one, I'll usually put her on a unicorn and put her with my units of Wild Riders. The rest of the list is pretty general.

Core
2 x 10 Glade Guard w/ musician 252
3 x 5 Glade Riders w/ musician 387
(optional) 8 Dryads (about 100 points)

Special (you have some options here. You can go purely mobile, or, you can take wardancers. I'll show the purely mobile form, because it seems you already see the merits of wardancers.)

2 x 4 Warhawk Riders
6 Wild Riders (about 160 w/o command)

Rare. I've left about 360 points open for this slot and personal customization simply because each choice comes down to an individual's preference. You could swap out some glade riders for WH riders. I've done it to great effect before. There is the option of getting better magic, or a treeman, or Wardancers, or extra dryads. The possibilities are endless. Use this framework though, and you should be well on your way to victory with the Asrai. Good Luck to you!

papabearshane
28-05-2010, 19:23
Never did like T3 Green Tree Huggers. My axes cut your Trees down and my Orcs Smash your little puny bodys beneath our feet. Not a bad list just stay out of most peoples charge arcs and you should do ok.

AM1640
28-05-2010, 20:35
Hi, despite what others tell you, you should work to develop your own style. However, I would recommend that you change the highborn's arrows to Arcane Bodkins to deny armour saves and remove the mischiefs and replace with Glamourweave for a ward save.
Your Noble should be equipped to fight and survive in hand to hand-Annoyance of Nettlings is almost mandatory. The extra S2 attacks from the Spites won't do much.
Your spellsinger can still shoot and can carry the starfire arrows-just 1 casualty causes a panic test. I wouldn't recommend the lamentation-too many enemies have a very high Ld. I think it works out to less than a 5% chance of killing an enemy.
10 scouts is too difficult to hide in terrain cut this down to 5 and remove the standard.
10 glade guard per unit (until 8th ed comes out) because more is difficult to move and deploy. Glade Guard should only have musicians for rallying. These units should never see close combat.
Dryads are cool and really good in combat. 12 is okay but can be difficult to move. You can also try including the Branch Nymph.
Eternal Guard-I have never used them but others have told me that they are good in close combat. 15 may not be enough if they get shot at.
Wardancers-these guys rock. try putting more in. You can also try making the Noble a wardancer and giving him the Blades of Loec for lots of damage.

Treeman are destructive but will receive a large amount of enemy attention.
You really need Glade Riders (or warhawks or eagle) for charge diversion, artillery hunting, march blocking, objective claiming.
Any army can win and any army can lose.

goodz
02-06-2010, 19:49
I agree Arcane Bodkins arrows ftw on your highborn. I also would run glamourweave. Maybe if you don't mind not having him as general you can make him alter so he gets +1 attack and movment 9.

In 8th if you can fire in 2 ranks no reason you can not run units of 12-14 glade gaurd. But at the moment youd end up with a unit 12 wide that is hard to maneauver.

I would jam a Hail of Doom Arrow somewhere, on your mage or exalted :D

I would ditch the scouts for 5-6 watwatchers because i like killing blow :P

Strategy wise I would put your exalted with your scouts, and give him HoDA, that 3D6 S 4 can hopefully slow something down, (if you replace the scouts with way watchers you can make him a waywatcher but its kind of expensive points wise)

If you want to run your highborn as general he can't be alter so personally i would just make your scout with HoDA general. The highborn with his 5 shots and movment 9 ignores armour saves can hoepfully pick apart units

You don't have any calvary imo as the game stands i would replace 1 unit of glade gaurd, and your eternal gaurd with calvary (or warhawk riders if you prefer)

WoodElfGeneral
01-07-2010, 16:55
Just want to point out that when eighth edition comes out in like a week and a half, dryads and wardancers are going to lose a lot of their power due to the new movement rules, stubborn and what not. They will have a place but not be as important. Tree Kin will be like gold along with treemen. I plan on taking a giant archer line, because i don't see many other options, as very large blocks, which is going to happen will demolish our cc units. We'll see.

popisdead
02-07-2010, 22:15
If you are new to Wood Elves I recommend you start at 1000 pts to learn how the core of the army works.

A scout highborn won't earn his points back, as well he will be vulnerable to magic missiles and shooting.

An Eternal kindred comes with the equipment defined, you will nullify that equipment if you change it and really,.. it's a useless kindred. 5+ save and one more attack at S4? that won't do anything.

10 Scouts with just a standard should be re-worked to 6 scouts with a musician.

You should take Glade Guard in either 10 with a musician (to run 5x2) or 20 with the stand and shoot banner and command (champion only to protect your mage)

I would really recommend starting with a lvl 2 w/ a dispell scroll, 20 GG w/ stand and shoot banner, 2 x 10 dryads, 5 Fast Cav, 5 Scouts w/ Mus, 8 Wardancers, eagle. I think that runs close to 1000 pts? Play games and learn the army.