PDA

View Full Version : 40k Novel questions

clangedinn
21-05-2010, 19:40
I want to start reading the 40k novels. Where should i start?
What is the name of the Horus Heresy books? I cant seem to find any one games workshops site that are named Horus heresy

clangedinn
21-05-2010, 19:43
ok found the Horus heresy books in a different section :P

BaronDG
21-05-2010, 19:43
www.blacklibrary.com

Click on the Horus Heresy link and enjoy...

clangedinn
21-05-2010, 19:47
Awesome thanks.

BaronDG
21-05-2010, 19:54
The first three are the best. Apart from that, some are good and some bad and whatever you do, don't spend time/money on Battle for the Abyss.

Frostmane
21-05-2010, 20:03
I recommend the Space Wolf series. They are quite enjoyable.

Escaflowne_Z
21-05-2010, 20:11
The Ciaphas Cain series is very good, and a bit more tongue in cheek. The Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies are great.

Malphax
21-05-2010, 21:07
Avoid C.S. Goto and you should be alright.

wazatdingder
21-05-2010, 21:24

And Ian Watson, I can never get that time wasted back.:cries:

Jonny_N
22-05-2010, 00:39
It is all down to taste. I find the first 3 Horus Heresy books simply fantastic: The space marine themed ones I would recommend are as follows:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames

Storm of Iron
Soul Hunter
Angels of Darkness
The space wolf omnibus

Personally I would avoid anything by C.S. Goto and James Swallow (although he did a rather good HH book, Flight of the eisenstein) but that is entirely down to personal taste.

FabricatorGeneralMike
22-05-2010, 01:16
As other people have said, the first three are rather well done. Especially Horus Rising, Anything by Abnett is rather well done. The Eisenhorn books are a great place to start. I personally really liked the Shira Caplurnia books altho I haven't read the second one yet.

Really its down to what you like about 40k? If you like SM's read the SM books, Ig ? 15 hours is a amazing book about being a regular guardsman.

Logarithm Udgaur
22-05-2010, 04:15

Two of BL's best authors IMNHO, but since they do not churn out the same war pron that the rest of the staff does, people do not seem to like them much.

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor series were pretty good. Sandy Mitchell is awesome (both the Ciaphus Cain and Dark Heresy series are outstanding).

I would suggest picking up one of the anthologies (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-40000/Warhammer-40000-Anthologies) and seeing if there is any particular author or subject you enjoy, and then seeking out more.

meno1
22-05-2010, 04:49
Two of BL's best authors IMNHO, but since the do not churn out the same war pron that the rest of the staff does, people do not seem to like them much.

Everyone has their own tastes, I personally like Abnett, but I've heard many people complain about him.

I'd recommend to pick up books that look/sound interesting, just take a look at the cover and the blurb. Read several books this way and you'll gain a feel for which authors you like/dislike. If you really have no time, then read books recommended by others.

Ozybonza
22-05-2010, 04:55
Personally I enjoyed all the HH books, EVEN battle for the Abyss.

I'm halfway through the second of three Eisenhorn novels now, they are pretty good so far.

LORD_GARRO
22-05-2010, 05:25
I have read all of the titles to date. I thought they lost their magic after Galaxy. But it is still amazing to read about the times only spoke of as legend.

fwacho
22-05-2010, 05:27
Ciaphas Cain by Sandy Mitchell is by far the best and most inventive of the lot. Dan abnetts series are okay. I found myself enjoying the first space wolf omnibus quite a bit as well. Horus hersey is hit and miss. Fulgrim has been my favorite of what I've read in there so far. Mechanicum was pretty good too.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
22-05-2010, 07:51
No one mention Gaunts Ghosts?

Simo429
22-05-2010, 10:24
ive read every book 40k book minus the guard novels because they bore me

the first 4 space wolves novels and the grey knights books are my favourite

horus heresy flight of the eisenstein is the one I enjoyed the most, BFTA was the worst

favourite chaos books - soul hunter and the marduk series (the last being my favourite BL book ever)

Spacker
23-05-2010, 14:13
Most of the 40k novels I've read have been good. The Warrior books by Goto I'd suggest avoiding, and the DoW books are mediocre. Of the Black Templar novels the first was ok, the second was one of the few I gave up on halfway through. The Cain, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Word Bearers, and HH series are among my favourites.

I use LibraryThing to keep track of my 40k stuff here (as well as a couple of Dark Future books, and old pre-Black Library novels) : http://www.librarything.com/catalog/spack anything without a rating I haven't read yet, and I own all the books on the list other than the Space Wolves and Gaunt's separate books which I borrowed.

sigur
23-05-2010, 14:39

Hey, at least he had Squats in his books and naked space marine hinders! :shifty:

wazatdingder
23-05-2010, 15:34
Hey, at least he had Squats in his books and naked space marine hinders! :shifty:

And his portrayal of the squat in the most stereotypical and cliche way (I think his name was Flint) is probably the main reason GW wiped them from the universe. The naked marine was a total insult to Dorn. As for the inquisitor, a teenage boy getting dumped at the prom has more depth. If the story was condensed into one, maybe two books, it MAY have been ok... but not likely.

FabricatorGeneralMike
23-05-2010, 18:45
And his portrayal of the squat in the most stereotypical and cliche way (I think his name was Flint) is probably the main reason GW wiped them from the universe. The naked marine was a total insult to Dorn. As for the inquisitor, a teenage boy getting dumped at the prom has more depth. If the story was condensed into one, maybe two books, it MAY have been ok... but not likely.

His name was Grimm, mei'lindi was the assassin. If you can find the old deathwing book there is a great story about her in there. Personally I really liked the first book and the ending would of made a great 40k ending.

after finding out that the emperor is schizophrenic nut job they are all trapped in statis containers for all time.

Thats a great 40k ending I think. =o]

sigur
23-05-2010, 23:02
It definately was a different time in 40k. Especially the time Space Marine was written. I got no problem with it really and I liked Inquisitor as well as Harlequin.

sigur
23-05-2010, 23:03
It definately was a different time in 40k. Especially the time Space Marine was written. I got no problem with it really and I liked Inquisitor as well as Harlequin.

And his portrayal of the squat in the most stereotypical and cliche way (I think his name was Flint) is probably the main reason GW wiped them from the universe.

Right. :rolleyes:

wazatdingder
23-05-2010, 23:06
Your right, the first book ended well, the second wasn't awful. BUT THE THIRD TOOK A CRAP ON ITS READER FROM START TO FINISH!!! it falls oh so short of its potential to be a truly epic trilogy. It turned into a high school drama that makes Twilight look mature.