PDA

View Full Version : Trial of the Mantis Warriors!

kamedake88
21-05-2010, 23:52
Someone please tell my why C.S. Goto is still allowed to touch pen to paper. I just finished this short story in the latest Legends of the Space marines book and that **** gave me a headache. without spoiling anything it was like chewing on an old boot; just as tough, just as boring.

Ozendorph
22-05-2010, 00:02
There is no accounting for taste.

Jonny_N
22-05-2010, 00:32
I find him rather hit and miss, I havent read it yet, but I will tomorrow and put my 2 cents in :)

Iceheart2112
22-05-2010, 07:25
To be honest, I've always liked his take on the Mantis Warriors. So much so that I picked up a SM army just to play as Mantis Warriors (I read through the fluff and still enjoy it). He writes them as truely trying to make a difference, with the redemption part of it a great motivation.

Colonel Kolm
22-05-2010, 10:33
i didnt think it was that bad. if anything its simply some good fluff on them and a decent story

nagash66
22-05-2010, 10:56
Havent read it, what does it read on the Heresy meter? 1-10?

Lord Asgul
22-05-2010, 11:37
my heresy meter has blown up....

Spider-pope
22-05-2010, 13:25
Someone please tell my why C.S. Goto is still allowed to touch pen to paper. I just finished this short story in the latest Legends of the Space marines book and that **** gave me a headache. without spoiling anything it was like chewing on an old boot; just as tough, just as boring.

Feth knows. I personally didn't buy a copy of the book because i have no desire to own anything written by him, so C.S Goto is actually costing them sales.

Tak
24-05-2010, 15:08
I'm not a fan of C.S.GOTO either although I actually thought that the story mentioned by the OP was one of his 'better' offerings although I wouldn't go as far as saying that it was good.

I haven't read any of the Dawn of War books because I once made the horrific error of buying Eldar Prophecy and actually attempting to read it! My left eye refused to open properly and I couldn't talk for three months due to the stress that was inflicted on me!

It was horrendous!:( So much so that I try to stay away from anything by him now.

I was hoping that someone would take over the Eldar book sequences and was dismayed to hear that Gav Thorpe had taken up the reins because I'm not a fan of his either, Malekith had much the same effect on me, although to a smaller degree.

Lord Damocles
24-05-2010, 15:11
This thread requires [horrendous] quotes.

Damien 1427
24-05-2010, 15:19
I honestly wonder how he keeps getting published. You have to wonder if most of the sales of what he's done are out of horrific fascination, much like the films of Uwe Boll.

I do actually own one of his books, Salvation, that isn't so much bad as simply dull.

He's dull, has a tiresome style, and plays fast and loose with the fluff. Almost like Richard Knaak, except whereas CS Goto is the dark and horrific secret of GW's licensed fiction, Blizzard practically canonised Knaak. Could be because CS Goto isn't mates with the high-ups.

Lord Damocles
24-05-2010, 15:21
From what I've read on the first page of Google search results, Trial of the Mantis Warriors seems to have recieved generally rather positive reviews...

Tak
24-05-2010, 15:23

Sorry if Iv'e caused offence.:confused:

Flying Toaster
24-05-2010, 15:27

quotes of space marines surfing razorbacks whilst firing their multilasers kind?

Lord Damocles
24-05-2010, 15:31
Sorry if Iv'e caused offence.:confused:
I meant that if we're [ie. those of use who haven't read the story] to believe that it's 'like chewing on an old boot', and induces headaches, some examples of such poor writing should be presented by the OP.

Don't worry, not responding to your post :)

I'm no great fan of Goto's, but the level to which he's criticised (on Warseer and elsewhere) has reached levels where people criticise him for things which simply don't happen (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4325054&highlight=goto#post4325054) in his books/stories.

Godzooky
24-05-2010, 15:51
From the universal panning this guy's writing skill gets I wonder if he has some incriminating photos of Jervis or something similar keeping him in work.

Tak
24-05-2010, 15:57
Don't worry, not responding to your post :)

I'm no great fan of Goto's, but the level to which he's criticised (on Warseer and elsewhere) has reached levels where people criticise him for things which simply don't happen (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4325054&highlight=goto#post4325054) in his books/stories.

Phew! For an awful second, I thought that you were Gav Thorpe and were responding to my opinion of Malekith.

Your comment about the level of critisism is a fair one though. Maybe I went over the top eh?:)

Godzooky
24-05-2010, 16:08
Please forgive my ignorance with regard to the plot of said story, having not read it.

But you make it sound like the trial mentioned in the title would involve the Mantis Warriors being sat down and forced to read the entire Goto back catalogue. :shifty: