PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Daemon army

Wednesday Friday Addams
22-05-2010, 14:42
This may come of as all over the place because it's a rather mix of problems regarding my Daemons.

I love Chaos, I love the Chaos gods and love the Daemon models the problem I am having at the moment is that when I play my Daemons it doesn't feel like I am playing an army. This isn't about power level as I am fine with playing dark elves but something I can't really put my finger on. I guess I just feel bad at the end of the game even if I win or lose. (My Daemons to enjoy to role like I have been cursed my some old god)

I play mainly an army of blood letters supported by Flesh hounds (who enjoy failing against everything they charge) and in 2250 Kairos as it is currently the only way I can get to the point level. I also adore him for some weird model relationship thing.

So I guess I am just asking for advice on what I can do to my army to make it feel more like an army and less like 3 units of ranked troops trying to look like the minions of khorne.

Very vague I know.

Agoz
22-05-2010, 15:56
hmmmm, well, Variety, I think, is what your missing, you should get more units, different units. A bigger army might make it feel more army-like.

Jind_Singh
22-05-2010, 16:47
well easiest way to make an army look like an army....actually collect an army!

of course it's going to feel like a small horde, you got just 3 core units, some hounds, and an expensive lord!

in 2250 points you can take FOUR units of 20 bloodletters, a few hounds, a few furies, and a few heralds of khorne - it's massive, it looks impressive, and it for sure looks like an army.

Why dont you just list what models you have - that way we can see what needs to done.

plus when the new ed comes out you might need more models to make the list legal

Zaustus
22-05-2010, 23:10
My biggest problem with mono-god daemons is that, while it is fluffy, the dearth of options for each slot make it extremely boring. You get one lord choice (oh wait, there's the daemon prince too, haha), one hero choice, one core, one special, one rare. Gee, which ones should I pick? :rolleyes:

Despite its unfluffyness, to make daemons more interesting I think you need to take multiple gods, so that you actually have a choice to make for each slot. That doesn't mean you need to make the tricked-out doom armies popular on the internet; just use it to get more options. Try nurglings, try daemonettes, try seekers of slaanesh, etc. It should still be a decently competitive army, and the variation in units should make it much more fun to play, both with and against.

Wednesday Friday Addams
23-05-2010, 02:00
Well against a dwarf army I took
Fateweaver
1 herald on Juggunaught
Herald of tzeentch
2 times 24 blood letters
10 horrors (boosting the numbers maybe?)
2 times 5 fleshhounds ( I will most likely take a unit out as I don't really like using them...maybe adding karanak might make it more interesting)
3 flamers

I currently own 20 daemonettes that need fixing as I put some torsos on the wrong legs
4 fiends unbuilt
2 masques
2 blood crushers.

shredshredxx
23-05-2010, 02:43
wait, i thought you said this wasn't about power level?

as your list stands, you're taking one of the most notoriously overpowered lists in warhammer, or some variation of it.

if you want to feel better about your games, and enjoy warhammer more in general, some general advice would be to

A. drop kairos. you said you love the model, so mayhaps just use the model you have as a regular lord of change. it's not like a regular greater daemon isn't hard enough.

B. don't take so many units of flesh hounds. you have multiple special slots, use them! bloodcrushers are fun, and fit your loose khorne theme too.

C. realize that everyone hates flamers and will always complain no matter how many you take. it's easier to just drop them altogether, even if there are only 3.

Wednesday Friday Addams
23-05-2010, 02:54
I meant it wasn't about power in the fact I didn't care if it was really as long as I had fun. But as it goes It isn't fun and it is currently cursed with some very bad luck making it one of my opponents favorite armies to fight.

Bloodcrushers are a rare choice.

Jind_Singh
24-05-2010, 17:46
My all time favorite list to use at 2250 points is:

Daemon Prince of Khorne, armor of Khorne, winged horror, immortal fury
Herald of Khorne, BSB, Juggernaut, armor of Khorne, Firestorm Blade, banner of Unholy Victory
Herald of Khorne, BSB, Juggernaut, armor of Khorne, Soul Hunger

17 Bloodletters, full command, Icon Of Endless War (BSB unit)
17 Bloodletters, full command, Skull totem (HoK goes here)
16 Bloodletters, full command, Skull totem (HoK goes here)
5 Furies

5 Fleshounds

3 Bloodcrushers

Amazing list, lots of theme, it's very playable, and people have a blast facing it - it's tough but not super tough - yet it has enough meat that it can pose serious challenge to most people

R-Love
24-05-2010, 23:43
My all time favorite list to use at 2250 points is:

Daemon Prince of Khorne, armor of Khorne, winged horror, immortal fury
Herald of Khorne, BSB, Juggernaut, armor of Khorne, Firestorm Blade, banner of Unholy Victory

17 Bloodletters, full command, Icon Of Endless War (BSB unit)
17 Bloodletters, full command, Skull totem (HoK goes here)
16 Bloodletters, full command, Skull totem (HoK goes here)
5 Furies

5 Fleshounds

3 Bloodcrushers

Amazing list, lots of theme, it's very playable, and people have a blast facing it - it's tough but not super tough - yet it has enough meat that it can pose serious challenge to most people

Be careful when cutting and pasting :D

nzdarkelf
25-05-2010, 00:54
I Have a Daemon Army too, and my usual problem is a lack of numbers. Like others I would drop Kairos. He is simply too much points. And while he gives great variety in spell choices he really isn't a great choice for spell casting due to his cost vs 'standard' 4th level casters.
You have a couple of very large Bloodletter units. Spliting them into 3 might give you more options. I would also boost the Horrors up and make them combat capable - ie Command and extra ranks. I also field a unit of 10-12 horrors (I just dont like the model, and hated painting them), but have come to realise their magic ablility is not enough.
As usual your post has caught the attention of the "Daemons are broken brigade." Best just to ignore them. Your Flesh Hounds are good, but compared to Chaos Knights, (or even ranked up Empire Knights with full command, 2nd rank, and magic banner), They aren't over ordinary. If anything I would boost your flamers to 6 models. Again yes they are nasty but in my gaming group I regularly come up against Empire Volley Guns, Lizardmen EoTG, and Night Gobbos with more Fanatics than I think fair - and that is against my non-daemon armies.

ChaosVC
25-05-2010, 04:01
I have no problem making my Daemons army look like and army. Even though it may be a mix god army and very variant in overall feel(multi coloured), the model counts still make it look decent.

Jind_Singh
25-05-2010, 16:40
Be careful when cutting and pasting :D

I hand typed the entire post after sitting down with a piece of paper the DoC book to work out the points cost! I just re-read the post it and I can't find the mistake in the post - did I mistype something?

I wanted to show the OP that it's quite easy fielding enough models to make the DoC 'feel' like an army, and with the mono-God theme you can really unify them.

And as a Brucey Bonus it's not overpowered either, it's a list which can see a lot of play.

kramplarv
25-05-2010, 16:45
read the quoted post again and look for 2*3 letters in bold... ;)

Witchblade
25-05-2010, 16:54
I hand typed the entire post after sitting down with a piece of paper the DoC book to work out the points cost! I just re-read the post it and I can't find the mistake in the post - did I mistype something?

You have 3 BSBs. :)

papabearshane
25-05-2010, 17:06
For your Enjoyment try using some of your UNDER powered Deamons like seekers and demonets as you will have to use a little more tacticle thinking with your army if there are some weaknesses in it. Most of the enjoyment i get is getting better and better with different stratagies as i play different lists.

w3rm
25-05-2010, 18:06
I adore seekers in my daemons list. Theyre fast and dont hit amazingly hard but thats not what they do.

What about

Lord of Change- 525
Lvl 3, Dark Magister

Herald of Khorne- 150
BSB, Soul Hunger

Herald of Slaanesh-115
Seiren Song

23 Bloodletters- 300
Standard, Champion

24 Bloodletters- 312
Standard, Champion

19 Daemonettes- 252
Standard, Musician

20 Horrors- 240

4 Fiends- 220

2 Blood Crushers- 140

Total- 2254

You only have 7 Power Dice But Still an effective magic phase. The army is really fast and you have Fiends and Bloodcrushers for hitting. Its not ridiculously powerful or weak and you still have 91 Models.

Wednesday Friday Addams
26-05-2010, 13:15
I just want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just had a doubles games with a friend who plays a friendly nurgle army and I had a blast with it. I promised all my Daemons a complete paint job and have already started. I hope to post some of the pictures to my very old painting thread.
Anyway Cheers.

ChaosVC
26-05-2010, 18:33
Looking forward to those pics.