PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool win Champions League.

DaViEsW
25-05-2005, 22:33
How such a poor team for 80% of this season has won this is beyond me.

Brandir
25-05-2005, 22:35
Aye, well done Liverpool. Gerard was my Man of the Match. I look forward to him playing in blue next season .........

redemptionist15
26-05-2005, 00:29
As a united fan this pains me. Well done Liverpool, they have had great consistency in Europe this season, partly due to Benitez's influence. How Milan let a 3-0 lead slip astounds me and Liverpool had a lot of luck throughout the match to win it, however so does every team that wins the Champions League.

Well done scousers.

:cries:

astrocortex
26-05-2005, 00:46
Dudek finally makes himself useful after how long?

That was one of the most emotionally draining matches I've watched in a while, even compared to our see-saw win in the uefa cup a couple years ago.

The most pleasing thing has to be the fact that my Everton supporting brother will be cursing into his pint! :D

wanderingblade
26-05-2005, 03:08
Aye, well done Liverpool. Gerard was my Man of the Match. I look forward to him playing in blue next season .........

After this, I would be extremely surprised to see it happen.

Congratulations to Liverpool - somewhat fortunate, but still worthy.

Slazton
26-05-2005, 07:10
By half time to be 3-0 I was gambling they would lose it. But dam, 3 goals in under ten minutes, wow.

I take my hat off to them. It was a great game to watch!

Cypher
26-05-2005, 07:46
Does this mean we have a Chelski fan here? Right lads, steady... you know what to do :evilgrin:

Hehe well done Liverpool. I still wish I could understand how a team that really performed quite poorly domestically could win the UCL, but good on them anyway. Thankfully the one memory most people will have of this season is of Liverpool winning the UCL, and not a dirty russian buying the EPL.

Brandir
26-05-2005, 08:06
I'm a Burnley fan. I meant Claret and Blue.

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 08:39
Does this mean we have a Chelski fan here? Right lads, steady... you know what to do :evilgrin:
notice how the chel$ea fans come out after a rich russian buys the club, before then you could fit all the fans on one seat and still have room for an extra person :evilgrin:

Sai-Lauren
26-05-2005, 09:10
Stolen, one european championship. Last seen in the presence of 40,000 scousers. ;)

How on earth did we manage to win that? :confused:

There I was at half time, waiting for the rout to continue. The first half had Milan running riot, they were faster than Liverpool, more skillful and every single loose ball was running to them.

Ten minutes later it's back to all square. The loose ball's now going to Liverpool and Milan aren't even in the game. 6 cracking goals, but as full time went on I thought there's no way Dudek's going to save one penalty.

I was right, he saved two :p

Milan must be feeling absolutely gutted this morning, and even as a Liverpool fan, I feel for them. They had it won, but they don't give the trophy after 45 minutes.

I think we've got a lot of improvement to make in the summer.

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 09:17
well only the scousers would try something as audacious as stealing the european champions cup, no other way they could get it;) oh and about the sig, i copied what i needed to, how is the hand anyway;)

Yorkiebar
26-05-2005, 09:45
That was a great game. Terrible penalty shootout by AC Milan though. That first one was nearly as far over the crossbar as a Beckham penalty :p

Sai-Lauren
26-05-2005, 09:50
well only the scousers would try something as audacious as stealing the european champions cup, no other way they could get it;) oh and about the sig, i copied what i needed to, how is the hand anyway;)

The superglue worked nicely thanks, just need to finish topping up the lost fluids, another couple of pints of bitter should do it :D

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 09:54
thats good to here, to much blood in your alcohol stream again Sai?

Bubble Ghost
26-05-2005, 09:54
Was I the only one cackling like an idiot at Jerzy Dudek's insane, exaggerated Bruce Grobbelaar impressions during the shootout? And then at that tactic actually working? I was watching in the pub and rolling around in delerious, triumphant laughter. I was praying the thing didn't go to penalties because I didn't think my heart could take it, but that made it worthwhile.

On another note, how many Italian fans' cars do you reckon are missing a couple of hubcaps this morning?

Serpent
26-05-2005, 10:06
Being an Arsenal fan, I found myself cheering for Liverpool. :wtf: Gerrard and Carragher's second half was brilliant. And Dudek's impossible save on Schevchenko's double-chance in the overtime was magnificent. Especially with the grin afterwards.

I don't think Carragher is going to be able to walk for a week, by the way. He looked dead halfway through the second half. And then kept going anyway...

Serpent

TheHood
26-05-2005, 10:10
As a Liverpool fan, I think that was the most terrifying, exhilarating and amazing game I have ever seen the Reds play!

At half time I (along with most others I reckon) felt the game was completely finished. AC Milan were just a pleasure to watch in the first half - they were fast, coordinated, with brilliant passing and running. Crespo's second goal was simply sublime.

I don't think Liverpool managed to string more than two passes together all half.

Second half, obviously Milan had felt they had done enough and took the foot off the gas. Then with 6 minutes of brilliance, Liverpool were level. I couldn't believe it!!!

I was leaping up and down with joy, waking up the house (around 6:30 in the morning) shouting like a loon.

Gerrard, Dudek and Carragher were standouts for me - that double save against Shevchenko deep in injury time... :eek: change of underwear time there.
I agree that AC Milan threw away the game in the penalty shootout - after the second miss I knew it was ours :evilgrin:

I really wish I was back in Liverpool at the moment - the atmosphere must be amazing.

A simply amazing game.

What else can I say apart from

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Cypher
26-05-2005, 10:10
I'm a Burnley fan. I meant Claret and Blue.
Ah well that's alright then. Carry on folks, nothing to see here :cool:

hairyman
26-05-2005, 10:16
That was one of the greatest games of football I have ever watched.

Brilliant.

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 10:17
see more burnley fans then chel$ea fans

Brandir
26-05-2005, 10:30
But I take comfort in the fact that my team (Burnley) beat the champions of Europe. In my little world that means Burnley are the best team in Europe.

boogle
26-05-2005, 10:33
Stolen, one european championship. Last seen in the presence of 40,000 scousers. ;)

How on earth did we manage to win that? :confused:

There I was at half time, waiting for the rout to continue. The first half had Milan running riot, they were faster than Liverpool, more skillful and every single loose ball was running to them.

Ten minutes later it's back to all square. The loose ball's now going to Liverpool and Milan aren't even in the game. 6 cracking goals, but as full time went on I thought there's no way Dudek's going to save one penalty.

I was right, he saved two :p

Milan must be feeling absolutely gutted this morning, and even as a Liverpool fan, I feel for them. They had it won, but they don't give the trophy after 45 minutes.

I think we've got a lot of improvement to make in the summer.

the answer to that question, is did Hamman, who if he had been on from the srtart we would have been champions in normal time, the man made all the difference as he allwed Gerrard to be unleashed, we really need to keep him as the 3 of them (Gerrard, Hamman and Alonso), was the best midfield in the country when fit and playing together

anyway, i still have a sore throat, and I really don't care what others think of us being cack for most of the season domestically, we've won the cup and no-one can take it from us (quite literally), just a shame i have to go to work tonight

anyway heres to expanding and improving the squad, and onwards to next season

hairyman
26-05-2005, 11:26
Yeah, haven't got a clue why he played Kewell instead of Hamman. Kaka was all over you in the first half without a hardnut defensive midfielder guarding the back four.

HighElfGeneral
26-05-2005, 11:48
all i have to chant is L-I-V-E-R-P-O-O-L LIVERPOOL FC. hehe what a game, the best champions league final ever(FULLSTOP) :D :D :D

neXus6
26-05-2005, 12:46
LoL, nice.

Yep, that was certainly the best football match I have ever seen, a brilliant come back, and the first time in ages I've actually gone out with people to watch a game. I picked the right match. :p
I've only just woken up. heh.

salty
26-05-2005, 19:15
As a Man Utd fan, I still maintain that OUR win in 1999 was better :D

But it was a thrilling match, and I found myself cheering Liverpool and laughing at my best mate (a Liverpool fan) spending the first half crying into his beer :evilgrin:

Even if Dudek did keep coming off his line before the ball was stuck..... ;)

Salty :)

wanderingblade
27-05-2005, 02:13
the answer to that question, is did Hamman, who if he had been on from the srtart we would have been champions in normal time, the man made all the difference as he allwed Gerrard to be unleashed, we really need to keep him as the 3 of them (Gerrard, Hamman and Alonso), was the best midfield in the country when fit and playing together

anyway, i still have a sore throat, and I really don't care what others think of us being cack for most of the season domestically, we've won the cup and no-one can take it from us (quite literally), just a shame i have to go to work tonight

anyway heres to expanding and improving the squad, and onwards to next season

I don't know why Hammann didn't play either. It seemed an extremely obvious move to me, a holding midfielder to give Gerrard and Alonso more room to act, as well as someone to babysit Kaka. Match-turning substitution really.

On a slight tangent off of this, I've come to the conclusion England need to start playing three in midfield if they want to use both Gerrard and Lampard. Both of them play better with a man who sits deep and gives them the licence to roam forwards - Gerrard with Alonso or Hamann, Lampard with Makalele.

hairyman
27-05-2005, 09:32
Yeah.. but since the demise of Nicky Butt we have no world class holding midfield player. Best option is probably Ledley King.

The boyz
27-05-2005, 16:40
Even though I am an Evertonian, and its painful to say this,

Well done Liverpool F.C

neXus6
28-05-2005, 00:05
Hmm, since my previous post I've seen rather compeling evidence that one liverpool goal was off side...and as for the penalty which equalised well yeah you could hardly call it a stone wall penalty. :p

Ah well.

Wiseman
28-05-2005, 00:11
hope they can get the chance to retain the title next season thogh

neXus6
28-05-2005, 03:11
Yeah, that will be total madness if they arn't allowed to.

Serpent
28-05-2005, 06:23
Hmm, since my previous post I've seen rather compeling evidence that one liverpool goal was off side...and as for the penalty which equalised well yeah you could hardly call it a stone wall penalty. :p

Ah well.

Which goal would that be? Not Gerrard's?

And the penalty looked quite clear to me. But I haven't seen all TV angles, of course. As it looked both from behind and from the left side of the goal, his feet are swept away. Penalty!

Serpent

neXus6
28-05-2005, 15:48
Oh no certainly not the header that was just brilliant. But the other goal apparantly the Linesman was waving his flag around like someone who's other job is holding a checkered flag, sky never showed this but on the terestrial channel the camera kept going onto the linesman over and over again. But the Ref either never saw him or chose not to.

And the penalty looked weak as hell from the front shot.

Serpent
29-05-2005, 05:54
Well, just before the 3-0 goal, I thought I saw a handball by a Milan player in their 'box. Evens out, then...

Serpent

neXus6
30-05-2005, 01:20
Well there is a big difference between you seeing something and the linesman seeing something and the ref not asking him what. That is the linesmans job.

:p ;) lol.

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:25
The goal was not offside, there has never been a more 'stonewall' penalty and we where denied a penalty for a blatent hand ball.

liverpool won because they are just better than milan ever can, where or ever will be.

ARE YOU WATCHING MANCHESTER UNITED FANS.....IN LONDON,TOKYO AND WHEREVER ELSE THERE IS DAMP ROCKS TO LIVE UNDER!!! ;)

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 12:30
Liverpool rode their luck all the way through the tournament, in a cup competition, luck is one of the most crucial factors involved, who can ride their luck more then anyone else, sure skill is involved, but saying that they are better then milan are isnt really true, i think milan were the better side plagued by 10minutes of madness

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:34
Liverpool rode their luck all the way through the tournament, in a cup competition, luck is one of the most crucial factors involved, who can ride their luck more then anyone else, sure skill is involved, but saying that they are better then milan are isnt really true, i think milan were the better side plagued by 10minutes of madness

No, we beat chelsea because of tactics, same with bayer laverkausen (sp?) and we hammered milan in the second half 67% possession anyone?

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 12:44
yeh tactics are involved, but still a cup doesnt need as much tactics as a league

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:52
True, but we still own the cup, proving yet agin that luck is fleeting but class is forever. :angel:

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 12:55
or luck is forever, class is fleeting (bar liverpool whose best ever players were Craig Johnson and Harry Kewell, not that im biassed or anything;))

nevermore
30-05-2005, 12:58
or luck is forever, class is fleeting (bar liverpool whose best ever players were Craig Johnson and Harry Kewell, not that im biassed or anything;))

Do not forget torvan pieknik or the immortal stig inge byornabe (sp?) :p

boogle
30-05-2005, 16:37
Torben Pietchnik was the bigest piece of crap ever to pull on a LFC shirt

nevermore
30-05-2005, 16:42
Torben Pietchnik was the bigest piece of crap ever to pull on a LFC shirt

I know, its called sarcasm, and he is not the worst i have just remembered the legend that is Julian Dicks

boogle
30-05-2005, 16:45
at least Dicks managed to hit the net from time to time, and he did look cool when he grew his 'King Tut' beard

Wiseman
31-05-2005, 02:56
cant say i know who either of those two lads are un/fortunately

boogle
31-05-2005, 02:58
Julian Dicks was a west ham stalward, LFC signed him and he was mainly cack, Torben Pietchnik was totally crap, can't remember anything good he ever did

Wiseman
31-05-2005, 03:03
fair enough then, on second thoughts Torben sounds familiar from somewhere