PDA

View Full Version : Wild hunt army?

inq.serge
23-05-2010, 18:11
Hi.

Thinking of starting a wild hunt army (Orion, glade riders and wild riders, and maybe a unit or two of wardancers. And characters of course).

I was thinking of having g-Riders in units of 5 with banner and musician (objective grabbers in 8ed), but what size is the best for w-riders? They seem a little weak, so is there any good tactic for them, especially when having many units of them and g-riders as ranged support? Also, is there any good tatics with dancers? Thinking of having them in unit of 14-15 for the wide front and extra rank in 8ed.

What kind of characters other then Orion would be good to have, and still be themed? I realy love the idea of glamourweaves on unicorns. Also, are stags any good? If I take lords instead of Orion, would the list still be good? Is wild rider, mount (don't know which), amarithe brooch, armour of the fey and killing blow spear a good build? Hagbane arrow, any good? Is it a good idea to give wild rider heroes special arrows? Alter hero with bow of loren; fits in theme?

Thanks for replies.

BigbyWolf
23-05-2010, 19:50
Personally I'd suggest taking a Wild Rider Kindred lord over Orion. Although it would be less fluffy, Orion isn't the best character out there and I've seen him die quite often in games. It would also be cheaper, allowing you to invest in more troops.

bluemage
24-05-2010, 15:36
Orion isn't that great of a character and you would be better off not letting him change you list around too much. I'd still take two units of glade guard and try to limit how many wild riders you bring. Just because you can bring 5 units don't always mean you should.

Von Wibble
25-05-2010, 19:54
I personally wouldn't invest in magic arrows on a wild rider lord. I would go with Spear of Twilight, Helm of the Hunt, Stone of the Crystal Mere.

I would hold off on banners until seeing if they are needed (rumours on this so far seem to be conflicting).

I personally don't rate the stag as the base size is too big, making the frontage of any unit joined too large for my liking.

Alter with bow of loren is OK but I always prefer this bow with bodkin arrows myself. My preference for an alter is the hail of doom arrow, as he has the speed to ensure this item is used in the right place.

Glamourweaves on Unicorns - interestnig. Certainly not competitive as your wizards should avoid combat. Also remember a glamourweave led unit can't flee, and used without a unit is ver vulnerable to shooting.

You could take a gamble and leave any wizards at home apart from maybe 1 level 2, and then take the royal standard . This will stack with the MR and ward save of your troops for a 4+ ward vs magic in many cases. Trouble is teh fear effect doesn't synergise well with the faster elementsof the army (as it is best on eternal guard).

I think this army will be difficult to utilise. Bluemage is right - try to theme your army but leave room for teh workhorses of the wood elf list. I always field 2 units of glade guard, glade riders, and dryads. Whilst dryads won't be as necessary, I certainly recommend the glade guard.

Dyrnwyn
25-05-2010, 22:20
Orion's not a fantastic character, but you can do some serious damage with him - especially against low Ld armies like Skaven and Goblins. His horn blast that goes off on his first charge of the game creates an 18" radius panic burst - if you can Treesing him into or close to the enemy lines before letting him charge, he can run half an opposing army off the board by himself. Aside from that, he is the only way to get S7 in the WE army, and he's our only warmachine-style weapon - his bow works like a bolt thrower.

That said, he's overcosted because of his massive weakness against losing combat. A couple of flubbed rolls and he's dead.

inq.serge
26-05-2010, 19:48
Maybe a less wild hunt army and more of a forest stalkers + wild hunt army (just hunt army?) with a 3.5k list of:

(following 8 eds rumoured 25%lord 25%heroes 25+%core 25%spec 25%rare limits instead of slots).

Highborn (solo)
bow of loren
arcane bodkins
a muster of malevolents

Highborn (goes with WR)
General
wild rider
elven steed
spear
light armour
rhymers harp

Highborn (solo)
shield
helm of the hunt
spirit sword
annoyance of netlings

Spellsinger (goes with WR)
glamor
elven steed
moonstone of hidden ways

noble (goes with Waywatchers)
XHW
waywatcher
lumicens

noble (solo)
scout
xhw
la
hail of doom

noble (solo)
scout
xhw
la
hagbane
a.Bane

noble (solo)
scout
LA
hunters talon
starfire

noble (solo)
GW
Briarsheath

Glade riders
5x, mus, banner

Glade riders
5x, mus, banner

Glade riders
5x, mus, banner

10 glade guard

10 glade guard

6 scouts

6 scouts

Wildriders, 10 x,fc,

wardancers,fc, 7x

waywatchers 9x

waywatchers 9x

????

Kitskin
26-05-2010, 20:13
I think the rumour is for percentages also has a limit of 2 of the same type of rare and 3 of the same type of special, so you may have to drop one waywatcher unit.
I think you could replace them (+drop a character) and add a second unit of wildriders. It just doesn't seem like you have very much on the field for 3.5k, i'm not sure its worth having so many nobles.

inq.serge
26-05-2010, 20:20
But I have only 2 waywatcher units! (Although the words Wardancers and Waywatchers look alike, so, you might have misread)

Kitskin
26-05-2010, 20:25
So you do, my mistake! I read them as waywatchers.

inq.serge
26-05-2010, 20:27
To many Ws...

Wardancers, wild riders, waywatchers, warhawk riders...