PDA

View Full Version : Guerilla Warfare/Ambush?

ShaggothLord
24-05-2010, 03:53
Hi there!

I've always thought about doing 40k, and was wondering if there was an army that can Ambush, kind of like the Warhammer Fantasy Army Beastmen. Just by looks I was guessing maybe Catachan might fit the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks,
SL

Joewrightgm
24-05-2010, 04:10
Very few armies can mass outflank like Beastmen can; Most armies have a number of Elite Slot units that can pull it off, but generally speaking not en mass.

Exceptions to this are Space Marine Scouts, that compared to a normal space marine are relatively cheap points wise, and come with a number of pieces of kit and special rules that help them.

An Imperial Guard platoon maxed out led by Captain Al'rahem can pull off a similar trick.

The main thing is, that just like Fantasy Beastmen, there are few ways to reliably say "This is where this unit is going to come in because I want it there," in 40k. Again, there are exceptions like Wolf Scouts with their Behind Enemy Lines rule, and Boss Snikrot with his Master of Ambush (I think its called) rule.

The next closest thing would be mass-deep striking, and Marines do that very well, and Blood Angels do it better than almost any other army all without the use of drop pods.

At the end of the day, its mostly about picking an army that you are interested in and can be happy with playing, just like any other game system you might currently be playing.

enigma-96
24-05-2010, 04:25
An all scout army(Mostly) is what I would suggest if you're looking for a guerilla warfare-esque army. It can pop up around the battlefield, outflank (40k ambush equivalent), and has one of the coolest transports available only to it (the land speeder storm). Even better is the fact that competatively (whether that means anything to you or not) it is actually pretty good and can hold its own against most armies.

Mosedeke
24-05-2010, 04:30
There's also a Genestealer heavy tyranid army. Stealers themselves can either outflank or pop out of random bushes at either the start of the game (Infiltrate) or later on (Ymgarl Stealers), and a respectable chunk of the army can also outflank or drop out of the sky.

Darwin_green
24-05-2010, 07:12
or the Old OOP kroot army. I think everything had infiltrate.

ehlijen
24-05-2010, 07:17
It's unfortunately all too easy:

SM:
Scouts and scout bikers
Droppods with anything inside (don't outflank but can deep strike turn one)

IG:
stormtroopers
Al'rahems platoon
Penal troopers
Anything carried in Valks/Vends

Eldar:
Striking scorpions
Pathfinders
War walkers

Nids:
Lictors
Stealers
Mawlocs

Tau:
Stealth suits
Kroot
Pathfinders
(Not that great an army, or all outflankning, but still possible to outflank with most)

Throw in just how good outflanking is, especially for fast armies, and you have reserve hammer at its best and most abused...

Brotheroracle
24-05-2010, 07:18
3 infiltrating Chosen sqauds with 60 summoned demons to back em up.

Darwin_green
24-05-2010, 08:02
yeah, but the daemons don't count towards compulsory troop choices. They still count fine for taking objectives and what not.

Logarithm Udgaur
24-05-2010, 10:07
Pretty well every army has units that can do it. The ones that can do it most effectively are Tyranids, Imperial Guard, Space Marines (pretty much any flavor, including Chaos). The Imperial Guard have an upgrade that allows adds +1 to Reserves rolls and allows you to re-roll what table edge they come in on.

The Chaos Demons army has to Deep Strike (pick a point on the board roll 2D6 and a scatter die, and the unit ends up there). They have a couple of other funky rules as well (and are no where near as powerful as I hear their Fantasy cousins are).

ShaggothLord
25-05-2010, 00:17
Didn't feel the need to make another topic so I'd like to ask my question here: I think Necrons are a cool looking army, but it seems combat is a huge no no. Is this true? Is it that devastating if/when they reach combat? The warriors seem to have pretty good stats.

bigcheese76
25-05-2010, 00:21
It is not completely devestating for Necrons to reach combat, but they probably wont kill much. They are best used in a long line firing their guns at whatever dares to march at them.

Ozendorph
25-05-2010, 00:40
Didn't feel the need to make another topic so I'd like to ask my question here: I think Necrons are a cool looking army, but it seems combat is a huge no no. Is this true? Is it that devastating if/when they reach combat? The warriors seem to have pretty good stats.

Frankly (and this is just a personal opinion) I'd wait until the Necrons are revisited. While they are certainly capable of winning, the army is very out-of-step with the current rules and suffers for it. They have only a few plastic kits, with the majority of units only available in metal. Practically zero ForgeWorld support as well.

ShaggothLord
25-05-2010, 01:25
Can anyone recommend an army that can shoot well but also does well in combat? Not necessarily a super unit that can do both, ala Space Marines, but an army that has units that can both shoot well and also have some decent combat units.

DuskRaider
25-05-2010, 01:40
Orks can do it as well. Kommandos can infiltrate, Kommandos with Snikrot can actually pop out BEHIND your enemy. Stormboyz can ambush as well, especially with their special character, which lets them assault on deep strike. Deff koptas can outflank...

MasterDecoy
25-05-2010, 01:51
I dare say tyranids also fit that bill, a lot of people underestermate their shooting potential by a lot, and suffer for it, and most of their dedicated close combat units have huge damage potential.

Not too say the codex is without its problems (just dont listen to too much on here), but its generally got most of its bases covered.

Charistoph
25-05-2010, 03:00
Can anyone recommend an army that can shoot well but also does well in combat? Not necessarily a super unit that can do both, ala Space Marines, but an army that has units that can both shoot well and also have some decent combat units.

Well, Space Marines, but they're good at almost everything (not always GREAT mind you, but good).

Eldar are good, but each unit focuses on one aspect of warfare, hence Aspect Warriors.

Orks can build almost any type of army, but their shooting devolves mostly to spray and pray.

Tyrranids can sorta do anything besides Mechanized good (no vehicles), if you build them with it in mind. But their shooting is a lot like the Orks.