PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities of Movement

Charistoph
24-05-2010, 05:25
Besides other reasons, one reason I haven't started collecting a Fantasy Army is that I can't decide between which army to choose. One question I had was how important is movement in this game?

On one hand, we have Beastmen. They move a little faster than normal. They have good Toughness, decent weapon skill, and even the weaponry of the Core isn't real crazy, if a little average. Downside is they really don't have any armor to speak of so nothing to really absorb the hits that make it through. Like the Elves, does their movement help make up for their lack of taking a hit?

On the other hand, there are the Dwarfs. They can outmarch the Undead, and that's pretty much it (rumors of 8th, not withstanding). They are the epitome of the mobile brick wall. Tough as the mountains they come from and everything has armor. Does their Toughness and armor make up for the fact that they will invariably be taking the Charge than giving it?

ChaosVC
24-05-2010, 07:22
Hm if you are not taking 8th ed into consideration. Then here we go.

Beastmen actually have alot of decently priced good combat units, problem goes with their low amour which gives them little to no protection against range attack both magical and normal shooting, which in turns translate to high casualties. With their low leadership across the board. They are prone to panicking and flee. Not a good thing if you are trying to get close and butcher your enemies with your cleavers if your troops are running the oposite direction.

Only a few magic items will help you with this problem but the most straight forward way is to put a minotaur character in a unit of strong melee troops to give them frenzy and Immune to physcology. Or simlpy take the ld 9 lord with less muscle power. One thing worth considering to counter against a shooty army would be to take lots of ambushing unit, though this is very random and luck base, its better than not having any. The thing is that ambushing is more effective against shootier army then melee centric armies like WOC and perhaps Orcs, but they are disruptive nevertheless.

As for dwarves, well, they are argurably the most powerful range army out there and they can defend their warmachines effectively with reliable and relatively cheap, tough and heavily amoured infantry with the best leadership available in the game. Problem with them is that they are slow and can be usually out manuveored. So positioning for a clever defence is the main thing for dwarves. Inevitabley, untill 8th ed is released, dwarves will usually be charged instead of initiating one. Very defensive in nature and a serious lack of maneuverability.

Charistoph
24-05-2010, 15:04
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, you didn't really answer my question.

rtunian
24-05-2010, 15:10
One question I had was how important is movement in this game?

in a word: very.

since you've waited this long, the smart thing to do would be to wait a little longer and make your decision once all of the changes in 8th are exposed.

lordmetroid
24-05-2010, 16:00
I think the smart thing is go with what the army you seem most enthusiastic about. I was going to start a Skaven army but then after watching some battle reports by BTP on youtube featuring battles against the Orcs and Goblins. I immediately changed my mind and am now building a Goblin army, I am in love with the green. Not because they are strong but because I love Goblins, their attitude, zany gizmos and unpredictability.

Charistoph
24-05-2010, 19:00
While a wise suggestion, I like too many armies for too many reasons. Beastmen and Dwarfs are just the top by a few minor points that easily change with my mood. Bretonnians and Wood Elves pop up on top a lot, along with Lizardmen.

Skaven are the only ones out because the Mrs won't let rats in the house.

papabearshane
24-05-2010, 19:41
Dump all those ideas in the drain and Go for the Green Hord. What ever army you decide on there are tactics for movement that are a little different for each. the thing you should be worried about isnt just movement but will i enjoy this army for along time? for me O&Gs are the best fit because no matter how bad someone slays my book i still love the little green meanies. movement is important but enjoyment is key.

Charistoph
25-05-2010, 07:18
While a do have an Orc Lord from Warhammer Online, every time I think about playing the Greenskins, part of me shudders a little inside. I can't seem to empathize with them much outside of Warhammer Online, same with High and Dark Elves, too.

With the average movement speed of their infantry, it makes them a bit outside of the discussion.

Can higher movement compensate for weaker defense? And can a strong defense make up for a lack of movement?

ChaosVC
25-05-2010, 08:06
Yes it can be done.