PDA

View Full Version : Need help! WoC vs VC

goodz
24-05-2010, 10:20
Hey,

I have not played very much at all but i got worked pretty good by my friends VC's could use some advise on beating them. The battle was 1500 points I fielded something like:

Core:

5x Marauder Horesman - 75
- Flails, MoS

5x Marauder Horesman - 75
- Flails, MoS

10x Chaos Warriors - 168
Musician, Standard Bearer

16x Marauders 115
Flails, MoS, Full command

5x hounds - 30

5x hounds - 30

Special:

5x Chaos Knights - 265
- Banner of Rage, Musician, Standard Bearer

5x Chaos Knights - 250
- Rapturous Standard, Musician, Standard Bearer

5x Chaos Knights - 230
- Musician, Standard Bearer

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer
2x Dispel Scrolls

Wulfrik The Wanderer - 185
(proved quite useless on the day, was newly painted and I wanted to use him, unlikley to use him again unless i am playing dwarves)

Total - 1548

His army had i think not 100% sure I have only played like 10 times and only once against VC's

2 Large units of Ghouls
1 unit of blood knights
2 vampires with master of the black arts or smt that gives +2 dice
1 corpse cart
2 units of 5 wolfs
a large unit of Grave Gaurd (20-25) with a white king BSB that gave them Regeneration Banner. (these had great weapons, looking back now don't think that is possible, both his vampires also hid in this unit, and i didn't really have an answer for it as it seemed to crush my knights/flanking marauder horseman:() btw unsure but would that banner give the vampires in the unit 4+ regeneration save as well?

End result was a massacre against me :(

we are playing again i think at 2000 points any advise besides requesting no great weapons on the gravegaurd?

I am thinking for my 2000 point list of running essentially the same thing minus wulfrik adding 15 warriors, and probably taking a sorceror lord lvl 4 and 2 level 2 sorcerors. What should i equip them with, or would i be better off using combat heroes / more troops. i also have a pretty little archaon i have never used but i do not feel he will help me much!

danny-d-b
24-05-2010, 10:26
well at 2000 points VC just get better so you best playing him at smaller games (WoC don't need lords, VC do rearly)- bet bet is to get 2 or 3 nurgle sorccers and throw as much burbus as possible at his genral and once he is dead they start to cruble

and yes Gw on grave guard is possible best best is just to kill the BSB with burbus though it will take on avrage 5-6 of them or the genral (3-4 of them on avrage) and the rest of the army will start to cruble, leaving you just to deal with the GG which you can flank and rear and just kill that way, or just bait and fell them out of the game (there only M4)

Mullitron
24-05-2010, 11:42
Well i agree that you will need strong magic simply to counter the vampires, it being such an important phase for them. The grave guard is just one of those units that is a heavy hitter and a good bunker, either hit it with bucket loads at the same time or try and ignore it. The problem tho with ignoring it is that soo many of your opponents points are in one unit (with two vampires) that its a huge points denial if not dealt with. I would take a tzeentch lord with the spell familiar as the fear of gateway is always great against vampire opponents, put it on a disk and along with the knights focus on the blood knights and ghoul units one unit at a time and try and nuke them down in one phase of magic and combat. Or you could just put archaon and one unit of knights on one flank (near each other but not in same unit), the other two units on the other flank steam roll anything that comes your way then send all into attack the graveguard bunker at the same time :P

Xzazzarai
24-05-2010, 15:18
Mark of Khorne + Chaos Warriors with Great Weapons and just chop him up!

Or, if you want to Really bring his GG bunker down - bring your own! Khornate Chosen with 1 or 2 Combat-kitted Exalteds can handle pretty much anything head on. This might be a good time to try it out! =)

Havock
24-05-2010, 16:07
well at 2000 points VC just get better so you best playing him at smaller games (WoC don't need lords, VC do rearly)- bet bet is to get 2 or 3 nurgle sorccers and throw as much burbus as possible at his genral and once he is dead they start to cruble

and yes Gw on grave guard is possible best best is just to kill the BSB with burbus though it will take on avrage 5-6 of them or the genral (3-4 of them on avrage) and the rest of the army will start to cruble, leaving you just to deal with the GG which you can flank and rear and just kill that way, or just bait and fell them out of the game (there only M4)

Buboes. Buboes.

VC can be hard, but with two lvl 2 n, urgle wizards and a lvl4 tzeentch wizard who has gateway 'in reserve', he will not like your magic phase, but it seems you only have a scrollcaddy. Still, ignore the bunker, fleedirect it with dogs/horsemen and send the knights after his squishier stuff.

Still, you have a non-magic army and you are going up against a cklassical, boring as hell Grave Guard deathstar. Take something equally nasty in your list. Don't take on his graveguard unit head on.

BigbyWolf
24-05-2010, 17:36
AFAIK Gateway is never guaranteed, even with a Level 4 and Familiar. As far as combat goes, throwing anything that can be KB'd against Grave Guard is always a risk. Your army is pretty mobile anyway, so I'd suggest keeping it that way. Just avoid it, march block with Warhounds, take out the rest of his army with your troops and bombard his deathstar with your own magic.

Sarael
24-05-2010, 17:52
The setup you describe is called a death star. Basically, it's an ultra powerful unit with a lot of survivability and death dealing. I tend to use wraiths instead of GG, so you got lucky IMO. Still, the best way to handle a death star is to ignore it for a turn or two, maybe send a unit at it to tie it up/redirect it, while the rest of your army deals with the rest of his. Once you've killed off the rest of his force and all he's left with is the death star, surround it, which should be easy since you're all cavalry, then hit it in the front, back, and both flanks. The goal is to cause so much damage that through combat resolution the vamps have to take wounds too, and hope he loses one or two to failed regeneration.

That regen banner really does make VCs a rather OP army.

BigbyWolf
24-05-2010, 18:51
That regen banner really does make VCs a rather OP army.

Only in certain builds...I use it in a very friendly manner...

LordoftheBrassThrone
17-06-2010, 13:31
Get a flank or rear charge against the GG with something fairly survivable with a high CR, and itll crumble eventually. Might take too long, but if you hit it in the rear, I'm pretty sure the vampires cant attck you because theyre not in B2B, but you might want to just check that. Just get something that the GG themselves cant damage too badly (trolls?) and you'll hold them up for long enough to deal with the rest of his army. Oh and technically the vampires will be in combat, so can't use magic :D

danny-d-b
17-06-2010, 15:19
I possibly think the game has been and gone now being a month ago

lock???

theSkullduggery1
17-06-2010, 16:31
10x Chaos Warriors - 168
Musician, Standard Bearer

I just wanted to point out that this isn't a legal build. In the rule book it says that Chaos Warriors MUST be equiped with some sort of additional equipment.

Also, why wouldn't you want to equip something?