PDA

View Full Version : Chaos vs. Tomb Kings - 2250

Zaustus
25-05-2010, 04:57
I was able to get a game yesterday, making two weeks in a row! My opponent had been pulling undead out of his closet to make a Mordheim warband, and that inspired him to play a game of Fantasy with them. He had a lot of old models from the days when undead were just "Undead," not TK and VC. This was actually the first time he'd played them since 5th edition or so, so really it was his first game with Tomb Kings. I was thrilled, since I love TK and was curious to face them for the first time in years. For my part, I had been rocked by a magic-heavy Skaven list last week, and had decided to add more magic to my list (and at least a scroll or two!) What I came up with was using lots of L2 sorcerers instead of a big L4. To make room, I had to drop my normal Banner of the Gods. Please note that my list was set in stone before I even knew I'd be getting a game this week, let alone what enemy army I'd face. On to the lists!

Warriors of Chaos

1 Sorcerer, L2, MoN, chaos steed, Infernal Puppet (joins left Marauders) Spells: Plague Squall, Cloying Quagmire
1 Sorcerer, L2, MoN, chaos steed, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll (joins left Marauders) Spells: Buboes, Cloying Quagmire
1 Sorcerer, L2, MoN, chaos steed, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll (joins right Marauders) Spells: Buboes, Rot Glorious Rot
1 Sorcerer, L2, MoN, chaos steed, Spell Familiar, Power Stone (joins right Marauders) Spells: Buboes, Fleshy Abundance, Plague Squall

20 Marauders, MoS, light armor, shields, full command
20 Marauders, MoS, light armor, shields, full command
12 Chaos Warriors, MoS, halberds, shields, musician, standard, Banner of Wrath
12 Chaos Warriors, MoS, halberds, shields, musician, standard
5 Marauder Horsemen, MoS, flails, musician
5 Marauder Horsemen, MoS, flails, musician
5 Warhounds

5 Chaos Knights, MoK, musician

1 Hellcannon

Tomb Kings (approximately)

1 Tomb King, Destroyer of Eternities, Brooch of the Great Desert, light armor (joins Skeletons)
1 Tomb Prince, Armour of the Ages, great weapon (joins Tomb Guard)
1 Liche Priest Heirophant, Collar of Shapesh, Cloak of the Dunes (joins right Skeleton Archers)
1 Liche Priest, Casket of Souls

25 Skeletons, light armor, shields, full command, Banner of the Undying Legion
10 Skeleton Archers
10 Skeleton Archers
5 Skeleton Light Horsemen
3 Chariots
2 Tomb Swarms

20 Tomb Guard, full command, Icon of Rakaph
3 Ushabti
1 Tomb Scorpion

1 Screaming Skull Catapult, Skulls of the Foe

Instead of tediously describing the table and deployments, here's a picture. The red target in front of the Warhounds is the marker for the Tomb Scorpion: http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Deployment.jpg

He won the roll and took first turn.

Pre-game thoughts:
When he deployed his heirophant within line of sight, the obvious plan was to lure out his magic defenses, then pop Power Stone Buboes and try to take him out on the first turn.

Turn 1
TK: His line moved up. Magic and shooting killed one Warrior and three Marauders.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_1_Tomb_Kings.jpg

Chaos: My line moved up, with the Horsemen swinging around to threaten his Catapult next turn. In magic, my plan worked perfectly, and his Heirophant died to Buboes. Three Tomb Guard died to Quagmire, and Banner of Wrath killed a couple mounted skellies. In shooting the Hellcannon's shot scattered far away, but at the end of the turn he had to crumble. That was devastating, destroying both his Catapult and the Casket. Kudos to my opponent though, since he didn't throw in the towel despite losing both of his Liche Priests on the first turn.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_1_Chaos.jpg

Turn 2
TK: He doesn't crumble much this turn. His skelly horsemen charge the Warhounds, and his Tomb Scorpion pops up an charges them from the rear. They flee, of course. Again his line moves up slowly, with me blocking any movement spells, and his shooting does nothing.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_2_Tomb_Kings.jpg

Chaos: Both Horsemen units charge the Tomb Swarms, and the Knights charge the Chariots. Magic does some wounds to the Tomb Guard, and the Tomb Prince in that unit takes two wounds from Buboes. He has four, though, with his Armour of the Ages. The Hellcannon misfires and eats all of its crew! In combat, the Horsemen kill a swarm base, but can't kill both. The Knights chop through the Chariots and overrun off the board.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_2_Chaos.jpg

Turn 3
TK: His light horsemen are wiped out by crumbling, and the left archers lose some too. His Tomb Guard charge my Horsemen, and his right Archers charge my right Marauders. The Ushabti turn around to face where the Knights will come back. In combat, his Tomb Guard + swarm completely wipe out my right Horsemen. They break but get away from the swarm base by 1". The Tomb Guard elect not to overrun, so that they don't present their flank to my left Warriors. In the other combat, my Marauders and two sorcerers chop through some skellies, but can't kill them all.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_3_Tomb_Kings.jpg

Chaos: The left Warriors charge the Tomb Guard, the right Warriors charge the Skeleton block with the Tomb King. The fleeing Horsemen rally and face the swarm base, the Knights come back on and other units maneuver toward future flank charges. With its crew dead, the Hellcannon rampages toward the Scorpion, but doesn't reach it. The left Warriors direct attacks at the Tomb Prince and manage to kill him, but lose a warrior to killing blow and win combat by two. The Marauders finish off the few skelly archers. The right Warriors put a wound on the Tomb King and kill some skellies, but lose a couple of Warriors to the Destroyer of Eternities.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_3_Chaos.jpg

Turn 4
TK: The small archer unit finally crumbles away, as does the tomb swarm (yes, despite Ld 10. His crumble rolls were abysmal most of the game). The Scorpion charges the right Warriors in the flank. The Ushabti try a charge (hey, why not with TK?) on the Knights but fail. In combat, the left Warriors finish off the Tomb Guard. The skellies + Tomb King + Scorpion combo is too much for the right Warriors, and they break and run, bouncing through the Hellcannon in their escape. The Skellies and Scorpion run into the Hellcannon.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_4_Tomb_Kings.jpg

Chaos: The Knights charge and destroy the Ushabti in a display of excess more befitting Slaanesh than Khorne. The Tomb King and the Scorpion each put a wound on the Hellcannon, but it's unbreakable.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_4_Chaos.jpg

Turn 5
TK: Just combat. The Scorpion does nothing, the Destroyer of Eternities does two wounds, and a plucky skeleton sneaks in to kill the Hellcannon.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_5_Tomb_Kings.jpg

Chaos: The right Warriors charge the skellies in the front, the right Marauders in their flank, and the Knights into the rear of the Scorpion, grinding it to powder in short order. The plucky Marauder Chieftan issues a challenge, and even wounds the Tomb King before being splattered by Destroyer of Eternities. Meanwhile, a bunch of skeletons die to S5 halberds.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/zaustus/WoC%20v%20TK%202010-05-23/WoCvTK_Turn_5_Chaos.jpg

At this point, my opponent concedes the game, quite understandably, as a massacre for the forces of Chaos.

Post-game thoughts:
My plan worked perfectly, yet I wish it hadn't. Crippling him so badly on the first turn really took a lot of the competition out of this game. I plan to field this army list one more time to see what happens against a different foe, but if it keeps being lopsided I'll have to start removing Sorcerers. This game highlights the same point that my last game did, albeit from the other side of the fence: Magic-heavy armies can be really dominating against opponents unprepared for such an arcane assault.

And I can't say enough about the sportsmanship of my opponent, who was cheerful and engaged throughout the entire game. I can only hope I'm so gracious in defeat when next I lose.

Thanks for reading!

Seabo
25-05-2010, 07:12
4 Nurgle Sorcerors...
:cheese:
Haha jk....or am i?:shifty:
I hate Buboes lol. Hands down one of the best sniper spells there are. Grats on the win :D

Toshiro
25-05-2010, 08:57
Buboes is evil lol

Kudos to your opponent I wouldn't have conceded either (I'm too stubborn for that) but I wouldn't have been as gracious after an opening like that lol

Since it was his first time with TK it's understandable it ddnt wet s well, they take some time getting use to :)

Good game and congrats on the win. :)

selone
25-05-2010, 14:16
I like your army list, it's both different and effective I reckon. The one unit of Khorne knights worked well for you. Well written report too, cheers.

SevenSins
25-05-2010, 16:12
Well he'll be sure to hide his hierophant next time ;)

Very sporting opponent!

Malorian
25-05-2010, 16:22
4 Nurgle Sorcerors...
:cheese:
Haha jk....or am i?:shifty:
I hate Buboes lol. Hands down one of the best sniper spells there are.

X2

I hate fighting nurgle snipers almost as much as I hate fighting leadership bombs...

gdsora
25-05-2010, 22:37
but at the end of the turn he had to crumble. That was devastating, destroying both his Catapult and the Casket. Kudos to my opponent though, since he didn't throw in the towel despite losing both of his Liche Priests on the first turn.

Um what?
Why would the casket crumble?
Characters can not crumble. The casket guard can crumble, but no way would they effect the priest or the casket.

As for what you said about removing sorcerers.
Tomb Kings have fairly abysmal magic defence,The casket is the best source. But there is a large lack of magic defense items in the book. Going magic heavy against Tomb Kings, is a sure way to ruin their day. Just the fault of their flimsy units, and magic reliant movement.

Zaustus
26-05-2010, 00:54
Ah, interesting, I didn't know that (and neither did he, apparently). I'll be sure to tell him! It's a symptom of being his first game with the army, I'm sure.

Hmm, it seems my barbershop quartet of decay is drawing scorn from the denizens of the batrep thread. I didn't realize it'd be quite so unpopular; maybe I'll have to change it up for my next game. Buboes is crazy good, obviously, but I love the other spells in the lore too. I guess I'll take them one more time, but give myself a self-imposed limitation of not swapping anything for Buboes, and taking it only if I roll the 1.

gdsora
26-05-2010, 01:16
Ah, interesting, I didn't know that (and neither did he, apparently). I'll be sure to tell him! It's a symptom of being his first game with the army, I'm sure.

and just to make sure,

make sure he knows, that while crumbling, you can use the leadership of the General, and if there is a higher LD character in the unit.

TheSanityAssassin
26-05-2010, 02:16
Urgh. 4x buboes hurts, particularly against an army without a lot of dice.
4 x Curse of the Leper hurts more. I took a no-magic list one and ended up against that and he was just removing a unit a turn.

"and you're toughness 3,2,1,dead"

ascendedjesse
26-05-2010, 06:16
and just to make sure,

make sure he knows, that while crumbling, you can use the leadership of the General, and if there is a higher LD character in the unit.

That part I recalled, I totally forgot about the casket though.
For some reason I just rolled for it anyways, probably the shock of being sniped first turn. :cries:

Was a fun game though, and quite a learning experience.

TsukeFox
29-05-2010, 21:43
Boo sniping boo autowounding. About as fare as "fly high"