PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning a High Elf army into Dark elf?

Desalbert
26-05-2010, 00:41
Hey everyone,

So I'm going to be starting another army come 8th edition, and already having Ogres and retiring my O&G, I'm leaning towards High Elves rather heavily.

However, I've only really ever been an evil player-- I enjoy playing evil armies and characters; don't ask me why, but its just my thing.

So while I'm really feeling like the High Elves are growing on me, I'm also considering Dark Elves. But At this point, Dark Elves are less appealing because they're apparently very powerful and popular.

Now, this all said, my question is: Lets say I do choose High Elves, but after some time I realize that I just can't wrap my mind around being "the good guys". Would it be possible to fairly and believably transition a number of units from a high elf army (mostly core units and heroes) to a traitor-kin Dark Elf army with a minimum of conversion?

I'd envision something like a repainting spearmen and heroes from bright to dark, and perhaps re-equipping the ranged Core units as much as possible. I figure this may also be a very visually striking force if I do need to make this switch in a year or so.

Any thoughts?

Ultimate Life Form
26-05-2010, 00:50
Sounds fair to me; in the end they're all Elves and paintjob goes a long way. Paint them black and give them these viciously spiked shields and I probably won't even notice a difference as I'm not an Elf player myself.

King_Pash
26-05-2010, 00:52
I think it could be done quite well. If anything, you could always use them as a Nagaroth army (who are quite Dark Elvish) or alternatively, "new" Dark Elves that have just joined the dark side. A lot of the HE units are similar to the DE units. Try it and see!

lordmetroid
26-05-2010, 00:59
Nooooo, how can you leave the greenskins, no one leaves the greenskins and live to tell about it. Once they have your attention you are stuck in the green for life. At least that has been my experience, I am a playing my Orkz for 40k and Battlefleet Gothic as well as my Goblins for Blood Bowl and Night Goblins for fantasy. Only ever played with greenskins and so will always do.

You can't just leave!

On a more serious note, if you feel you want to do as you describe above, go for it but be darn sure you want to do it.

papabearshane
26-05-2010, 01:06
I have to agree with lordmetroid............How could you Retire an Orc Warlord? Did he get to old? Hes not dead so hes not retired.........In another note id love to see a dark elf/high elf army and would like to see some conversion work if you do decide to come back to the Winning........ooops i mean Evil side of things. Good Luck

Unwise
26-05-2010, 01:39
You could even theme your army around being from the Kinstrife times, a historical style army. You could paint them up fairly dark to start with and they could be highelves in the process of becoming dark elves.

ChaosVC
26-05-2010, 02:40
With decent conversions and a darker colour scheme, you will be able to pull it off. The only problem is that certain HE units will not be able to make that transition ie; white lions and archers in general.

Perhaps you want to do a research about the Highelves of Nagaroth before the sundering. They are basically Highelves with relatively darker armour in comparison wth their kins from other realm of Ulthuan.

Emeraldw
26-05-2010, 03:32
I am not the best painter in the world at all and my high elves aren't the best I have done but I have had them confused with Dark Elves on multiple occasions and I think many units can convert over to the "other side" quite easily with rules or just a color swap. Sword masters or white lions being black guard or executioners. Phoenix Guard might work better visually though. Archers might be a stretch as RXBow men but hey I think it could be fun to change it around in friendly games. There isn't anything stopping you from using High Elf Repater Bolt Throwers in a Dark Elf army.

Really, it is a couple units that you have to "work" to make it. Most are pretty easy to change around.

So to sum up, Shouldn't be too hard with a proper paint job and a little imagination. Check out my painting log for a start but i warned you about how good a painter I am :P

ChaosVC
26-05-2010, 03:55
I am not the best painter in the world at all and my high elves aren't the best I have done but I have had them confused with Dark Elves on multiple occasions and I think many units can convert over to the "other side" quite easily with rules or just a color swap. Sword masters or white lions being black guard or executioners. Phoenix Guard might work better visually though. Archers might be a stretch as RXBow men but hey I think it could be fun to change it around in friendly games. There isn't anything stopping you from using High Elf Repater Bolt Throwers in a Dark Elf army.

Really, it is a couple units that you have to "work" to make it. Most are pretty easy to change around.

So to sum up, Shouldn't be too hard with a proper paint job and a little imagination. Check out my painting log for a start but i warned you about how good a painter I am :P

I think your painting is fine, you just need to be more adventureous and try new stuff on the details. Every attempt to try new things will help you improve and makes painting more enjoyable for yourself.

GreenSpeed
26-05-2010, 04:50
it helps that a lot of the models are similar

Phoenix Guard = black Guard
Swordmasters = executioners
white lions= shades with great weapons
spearmen = spearmen

tmarichards
26-05-2010, 06:43
GreenSpeed has hit it pretty much with that list.

I don't see any problems with it, in fact I'm planning on using left over DE heads and maybe a few xbows with the contents of the new starter box (the Skull Pass equivalent). With a couple of tweaks and a matching paint job (I say matching to the rest of my DEs, as I've done them in red and turquoise and bronze) they should turn out just fine. I'm hoping the Griffon model in particular is nice, as that will become a master on a Dark Peg.

Frankly
26-05-2010, 07:01
My DE spearme are all HE models, while my DE dark riders are all WE glade riders. I'd brought them all 2nd hand and cheap.

I painted Them darkish reds and browns with pale blue faces, trying to make a new race of southern isles elves. Making the useful for both armies.

Lord Dan
26-05-2010, 07:13
Of course you could! After all, Dark Elves are nothing more than High Elves in black armor. Now normally I'd throw in a "Or maybe HE are just DE's in bleached tunics", but we all know where your army comes from, DE players. You're just the angsty younger teenage brother.

~PrometheuS~
26-05-2010, 10:42
Foundation paints and ink, makes the worst paint job look good :) they are excellent paints, i dont consider myself a good painter, but some of the things i paint turn out nice :)

Knifeparty
26-05-2010, 16:11
Do a Pre-sundering era Naggarythe army of Anlec. Their armour was Black and silver with purple banners and cloth, they were fairly spikey too I think.

From my understanding the army of Anlec had lots of.

-Lots of Knights (you could mount Cold one Knights on horses)
-Spearmen are a must (Malekith really liked Spearmen)
-Lots of repeater crossbows
-Reaper Bolt Throwers
-Raven Harald Fast Cav (Dark Riders)
-Cultists (Witch Elves)
-Sorcerers (both male and female)
-They even used Hydras during the sundering

Or you could do a current Naggarythe army using wood elf rules for all their skrimishing abilities. Currently Naggarythe is ruled by Alith Anar aka the Shadow King who developed skirmish and hit and run tactics during the Sundering due to his small army, and his love for hunting and the hunter god Kurnous. These guys technically are High Elves but because of their turbulent past they have alot of Deep seeded hatred for Dark Elves, and other races in general due to the fact that these guys are basically Dark Elves who didn't want to side with Malekith and Morathi. They were brought up in the traditional warrior culture of Naggarythe.

-Lots of Skirmishers
-Lots of Glade Guard
-Lots of Glade Riders