PDA

View Full Version : Disc of Tzeentch

GreenSpeed
26-05-2010, 12:51
I a disk of Tzeentch flying Cavalry? in other words does it have 360 line of sight?

rtunian
26-05-2010, 14:12
a disk is a cavalry mount and has the fly rule (woc p.54, 55).
therefore a disk is flying cavalry.

Atrahasis
26-05-2010, 14:20
That doesn't mean, however, that it has 360 LOS.

T10
26-05-2010, 16:02
Really?

Flying Cavalry (p. 69)
"Flying cavalry... are units of cavalry mounted on flying steeds... They are treated as units of flyers except that: they have a cavalry profile for use in combat, each model has a unit strength of 2 and the riders get a +1 armour save, as normal cavalry."

The rules for Flying Cavalry makes no mention of line of sight.

"Units of flyers operate as skirmishers ( see page 65),..."

The rules for flying units don't deal with line of sight either.

From the Skirmishers rules (p. 65):
"A skirmishing unit does not have a specific facing and can see all around..., regardless of the actual facing of the models."

The rules for skirmishers' line of sight aren't affected by Unit Strength.

So, if a model on a disk of Tzeentch counts as flying cavalry then he has 360 degree line of sight.

-T10

Kalandros
26-05-2010, 16:08
It is a cavalry model that flies, it is NOT 'Flying Cavalry' as it does not have such a rule.
It does not have 360 line of sight.

Ultimate Life Form
26-05-2010, 16:18
I sincerely hope 8th Edition will finally do a away with such nonsense. >_<

Then again... :cries:

theunwantedbeing
26-05-2010, 16:22
It is a cavalry model that flies, it is NOT 'Flying Cavalry' as it does not have such a rule.
It does not have 360 line of sight.

Indeed.
Cavalry models that fly are not flying cavalry.

Just like a one handed weapon isnt a hand weapon.

rtunian
26-05-2010, 17:58
no.

tub you are talking about magical one handed weapons, which only do not count as hand weapons (in the general sense) because of the rules for magic weapons, not because of the rules for hand weapons.

this is precisely why the "it's a flier and a cavalry but not a flying cavalry" isn't an argument. the fliers' rules DO NOT say "if a cavalry unit can fly, it is not a flying cavalry unless specified" whereas the magic item rules DO say "if a magic weapon does not specify that it is a hand weapon it is not", so this comparison is baseless. apples v oranges.

Milgram
26-05-2010, 18:23
did anyone of you bother to read pg. 69: flying units? I don't want to see anyone posting in this thread anymore before he has red that paragraph. because it answers all questions and cuts off the discussion.

(it doesn't matter wheter it is flying cavalry or not because there are no special rules that go with flying cavalry - besides ground movement rules)

Festus
26-05-2010, 20:27
Hi

unwanted is fully correct- think of spears ;)

Festus

Zaustus
27-05-2010, 03:41
I'll have to concur with Milgram that since a Disc of Tzeentch is not a unit of fliers (per p.69), it is clearly just a flying model. As such, it does not behave as a skirmisher, thus it does not have 360 line of sight.

Helvegr
27-05-2010, 22:50
I'll have to concur with Milgram that since a Disc of Tzeentch is not a unit of fliers (per p.69), it is clearly just a flying model. As such, it does not behave as a skirmisher, thus it does not have 360 line of sight.

I would also agree with this.

Ophidian
17-07-2010, 20:52
Was about to ask this question, but then I found this thread and figured it'd be better off at the bottom:

Now that Flying Cavalry has its place in the pantheon of special rules, does that make it more clear-cut that a Disc Rider is not Flying Cavalry, merely cavalry that happens to fly?

solkan
17-07-2010, 22:25
It certainly would have been nice if GW had used a different term, maybe something like "Zippy Cavalry", 'Disciplined Fliers' or something, for the special rule instead of calling it 'Flying Cavalry'.

Zaustus
17-07-2010, 23:22
The wording is unfortunate, but the rules are clear. In the new bestiary, the Disc is classed as a War Beast. Under the War Beast description on p.84, it says ridden war beasts count as cavalry. Again, since it doesn't have the Flying Cavalry rule, it's not fast cavalry, or a skirmisher.