PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Challenges

Gonzoyola
27-05-2010, 12:34
When you refuse a challenge, and displace the character with a normal trooper, does that trooper get to attack?

Also if i have a hero in a unit, not in base contact with the enemy, and the enemy issues a challenge, and i refuse, can they elect to put my hero that is essentially not involved in the combat?

basically this is what I am thinking

Unit of 3 minotaurs and a gorebull, 2 cavalry models charge into them and align against the champion, with the gorebull being on the far side, not in base contact. A challenge is issued, and i refuse, as there is room in the unit to swap places, if that would bring my Gorebull in base contact with the unit now, I would then be able to fight with him.

Basically I thought the book gave me an understanding that the MODEL, needs to be in base contact with the ENEMY to challenge, but that interpretation is being challenged lately and its reminded me to bring it up here.

rtunian
27-05-2010, 13:16
the model retired must be among the models which could have accepted the challenge in the first place. so, only character models which are in base contact with the enemy may issue a challenge, accept a challenge, and/or be retired from the front rank. remember the challenge issuer picks the retired enemy model, not the challenge refuser.

the rank and file model which is swapped into the retired characters' place will fight in the combat, because the combat has not been fought yet.

Harwammer
27-05-2010, 16:36
I've previously pondered this before as a way to switch combat characters and wizards around in a unit. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.

Answering your questions in order:

Yes the swapped model gets to fight as it is in base to base with the enemy,

No as you have to swap the declining model with a regular rank and file trooper (a hero is certainly not one of these).

rtunian
27-05-2010, 17:24
oops i misread the question...

you are asking if you can have your character retired and then still fight with him? the answer to that is definitely not. it is explicit in the challenge rules that a retired character does not take any part in the combat for that round.

a character that has been retired after refusing a challenge may not fight or do anything else that turn and loses all of his advantages (see rules for characters not in the front rank)

Milgram
27-05-2010, 22:46
pg. 77 - the character is replaced by a 'common fighter' (dunno what the english term for it is). I am pretty sure this does not include a hero or lord choice... though you could argue that he is replaced by a kroxigor...