PDA

View Full Version : Is games day as good as everyone says it is?

Heimagoblin
29-05-2010, 10:43
So at my local gw staff have been drumming up alot of fuss about games day and when I have asked people who have been before they tell me they had a great time but looking at some of the photoes (specifically the que to get in) I can't see myself getting much done in the time its open.

So, what experiences have you had with games day and is it worth th 50 or so pounds needed to get a coach there and buy a ticket? Also, what sort of events are there and are there any tournements and if there are do they require booking in advance?

Sinaris
29-05-2010, 11:38
GW staff talk about anything and everything with over enthusiastic excitement. Usually they just want you to buy stuff. As for the actual Games Day, i couldnt comment on that, but if its gonna set you back dollars just to attend, id say the money could be better spent.

DarkMark
29-05-2010, 11:59
If you like queues go and spend your Sunday in Ikea, at least you might pick up a nice cabinet or something;)

Heimagoblin
29-05-2010, 12:00
I understand that, but fellow gamers have also said its good but when I ask why they can't really give me a proper answer. Another thing I have noticed is the very best players at my club(live in oxford so there is a wide range of players from students to idiots) don't attend.

crouchingotter
29-05-2010, 12:25
I've been once.

It's a big shop. Okay, there are some sneak peaks of models you can't yet buy, but they'll end up posted on here anyway. There's models that you can buy perhaps a few weeks before release but the queues will be massive and stock runs out fast.

The best thing about it is the fact that you can pre order FW stuff and collect it on the day. But you can do that at the FW open days during the year in the UK.

Save 50. Buy some models or have a few drinks with yer mates.

TeddyC
29-05-2010, 14:16
ive been a few times, queues arent that bad to be honest. If you go on on a GW coach at least youll have people to talk to.

Lots of big games and display tables going on. You can take part if you want. theres golden demon, few modelling workshops and competition type things.

They normally have a stand for stuff thats normally direct order... and as has been said... they have previews of stuff that usually ends up on here and sometimes pre release things to buy.... limited edition models are sometimes nice.

In fairness its only about an hour so drive for me... but from oxford? its a trek.

also 'better players from your club'? just cos they dont go doesnt mean you shouldnt. They have probably been round the hobby a while and maybe a bit jaded and seen it all before.

IMO Worth going once to see if its the sort of thing you fancy

Eta
29-05-2010, 14:24
I've been there once and would not go again. Three hours drive by car, then the absurd high ticket price, queues, stuff that is out of stock very fast. Totally not worth it IMO.

Greetings
Eta

paulb11
29-05-2010, 15:00
If you have never been then yes I would say go. The participation gaming tables are great to look at, and you might well get some inspiration. As said it is a big shop, last year was not as bad for selling out quickly, so hopefully GW have addressed this.

The golden demon is worth a look, some of the standards are amazing.

I am not going this year, for one reason. Last year there was not anything like the norm in terms of sneaky looks at upcoming projects. Previous years there were loads of models and such. Last year zero, esp with the skaven coming out pretty soon afterwards, there should have been something.

Will se what happens this year if there are some previews then maybe I will go next year.

One tip, if you are driving, head off before the golden demon announcement etc. the screen is too small to see properly and you will save at least an hour fighting your way out.

Magic Karl
29-05-2010, 16:19
I found myself just looking around it like I was browsing a giant GW store. I was significantly bored the whole time, so if you're gonna go make sure you plan what to do there or get in on a game early etc... but most of my time was spent waiting in the food queues (seriously, half an hour minumum wait!)

Urgat
29-05-2010, 16:49
I've only been there once (french one), and the only thing that really left an impression on me was the kickass diorama (the one shown in the previous VC book, the attack of whatever vampire on some imperial city). I spent the day there, and honestly I got bored pretty fast. I tried to attempt the speed painting conquest (lost horribly because my hands wouldn't stop shaking, huess I was nervous painting in front of so many people >> ), and that's pretty much it.

puppetmaster24
29-05-2010, 16:49
it is a chance to Shout at... i mean talk to the designers. this year i may get kicked out after having my "discussion" with matt ward.

SamVimes
29-05-2010, 16:55
It's worth it if you intend to enter golden demon and then spending the rest of the time playing in the scenarios and pick-up tables (or the tournaments if they still do that) and do the speed painting competition. If you're going to find out information about upcoming releases, prepare to be disappointed.

Rydmend
29-05-2010, 17:12
It's way worse than everyone says it is, at least I felt like Baltimore was terrible last year.

Lord Malorne
29-05-2010, 17:15
Not as good as it used to be, its a place where you expect rumours but don't get any (anymore) you can meet studio staff and talk about nothing or silly minute technical questions they likely won't have an answer for and to buy products at retail and refreshments at a massive mark up...

Its good now if you want to have a wak around for a few hour and see the dioramas and studio made boards (last years space wolves vs Nids massive diorama board was awesome) but it is not something you spend your whole day at, you will get bored.

I have been to four Gamesdays (UK). So I say its ok for a few hours, coming early achieves nothing.

Tymell
29-05-2010, 17:28
I've been once, and my feelings were pretty much as Lord Malorne.

The models they have in the cabinets and the displays are very nice to look at, but there was a lot of queueing up/crowds, talks from designers were pointless and there wasn't anything new there.

In my opinion, not worth it, certainly not when you add travel costs onto that of the ticket price. The only real thing of worth was seeing the display models/boards, and I'm sure you can see pics of most of those.

grissom2006
29-05-2010, 17:29
if you want to see lots of tables get over charged to eat and drink and queue for ages then it's great. If you don't want to do the afore mentioned then it's pretty much not worth it. I've stopped going to GD as they don't inspire me with new idea's and have me foaming at the mouth over future projects and releases anymore. The whole events lost it's appeal to me completely unless they change things round the only people going are the kids.

Grimmeth
29-05-2010, 17:58
I've been a couple of times and in my experience you can pretty much forget to get anywhere near one of the participation games, the pre-release models are a bit meh (if you really can't wait a couple of weeks to buy them then maybe worth it) and it's rather difficult getting anywhere near Golden Daemon to see any of it.
This was a few years back, and it might have improved since - but IMO you're likely better popping over to Nottingham Warhammer World for a day at some point - free entry, can see the museum, get some decently priced food at Bugmans and have a few games while your there with your mates.

TeddyC
29-05-2010, 18:13
yea I got the best pre release stuff from a trip up there. GOt the carnifex and lizardman cold one riders at least a couple of months before release.

Lord_Squinty
29-05-2010, 18:37
Ive been going the last 6 or 7 years, and it was a good trip. The last 2 were a lot worse than they used to be, with last years being awfull. There used to be lots of sneak peaks and stuff like PC games, but last year they were showing DOW2 and Bloodbowl which were both released way befor GD.

From what Ive been hearing abuot this year and the lack of any rumours leaving nottingham in general make me believe this years will be poor too.

Slashattack
29-05-2010, 22:19
I've been the last two years, and to be honest they really weren't that great. The food costs alot, even in the seminars there were no rumours on what they were doing and the exhibits there took maybe an hour maximum to have a decent look around. Save the money and buy some new models off ebay or somewhere cheap.

Grimstonefire
29-05-2010, 22:28
I'd say unless you plan on entering Golden Daemon, or you want a book signed, or pick up some FW models early, there is no point going. Just my humble opinion.

Save the money, order stuff and just pay for postage.

Plagueridden
30-05-2010, 01:42
better save that money to go to Salute :)

Daredevil
30-05-2010, 03:21
Lord, the last UK GD was awfull indeed.

No new information on releases.

No Q&A panels.

Golden Demon entries were much too crowded, no form of queuing or anything so people were pushing and pulling to get some peeks in.

No cool / epic diorama apart from a terribly boring full Space Marine chapter painted in Outrider colours.

No battles / tournaments.

I'm not the first to say this but it's mostly a giant store with a Golden Demon competition. I would not attend again, ever, especially since I made my way down from the Netherlands to attend.

Visiting Warhammer World the day before was much more interesting so if your looking for a "Warhammer experience" I would suggest going there, if only for the food in Bugman's Bar.

Harry
30-05-2010, 08:31
Some folks just don't know how to have a good time. :D
What more could you want than to spend a day off immersing yourself in your hobby?

I don't know about the other Gamesdays around the world. It seems they dont get such a good deal but the UK event ....IMO ... is well worth the time.

Fist the whole studio is there. All the artists, sculptors and writers that make this hobby what it is. You get to meet them and say thanks. They get to chat to you and listen to what it is you like about their work. What you would like to see in the future. You get a chance to get your ideas across and into the heads of the guys that could make it happen. They also are a bunch of very nice folks who talk with real enthusiasm and expertise about what it is they do ... this makes for some very interesting conversations you just don't get down you local GW or FLGS.
(I don't understand folks who have a hobby but are not interested in talking to the people that make it).

Then there is the Golden Demon. This is the best figure painting ... (in the world) and you get a very close look at it. (and it is never that big a bun fight to get a good look).
You can also have the fun of entering and the huge thrill of making the cut and seeing something you have painted in the center cabinet along side the best painters in the world. (What's not fun about that?)

There are always some nice tables to look at and games to join in with and new people to meet. (Surprisingly they are into the same stuff you are ... how often does that happen when you meet new people? For once you can openly chat about you hobby without fear. :D)

Theres fun to be had making a scrap demon and a bit of scenery ... I saw one guy with enough tree's on his to cover the cost of the ticket. :D

Come one guys, if you can't entertain yourselves at an event like this for s few hours you are missing the point.

The queue is not so bad they seem to disappear very fast once the doors open.
You can turn up with a demon entry and join a smaller queue and get in faster.
OR you can turn up a bit later and they shift the queues so fast you can just walk straight in.

The cost of the ticket??? You buy three Gamesday minis for 7 you slap 'um on ebay for 20 and you have covered your costs for the day. If you want to make cash you buy the forge world event only models and making flippin' great bags of cash. Can't be arsed myself but lets not pretend the ticket price is an issue.

The food is ***** and expensive. This is true. So eat a good breakfast, take sandwiches, fill you pockets with chocolate, hell just go a few hours without food ... you will survive OR do what I do just work up a good appetite and stop for the KFC bargain bucket at the first services.

Darnok
30-05-2010, 10:17
Sadly, Harry talks about GD UK only. Other countries get their local staff and a few guys from the UK.

Not as good as it used to be, its a place where you expect rumours but don't get any (anymore) you can meet studio staff and talk about nothing or silly minute technical questions they likely won't have an answer for and to buy products at retail and refreshments at a massive mark up...

Its good now if you want to have a wak around for a few hour and see the dioramas and studio made boards (last years space wolves vs Nids massive diorama board was awesome) but it is not something you spend your whole day at, you will get bored.

So I say its ok for a few hours, coming early achieves nothing.

Pretty much this, in my experience.

For the time and money invested I'd expect something better.

Bodysnatcher
30-05-2010, 10:34
better save that money to go to Salute :)

Ditto, you'll see what really good club run demo/participation games are like, get much cheaper access and see just how good some of the competition is.
*Must stop dribbling over Smartmax Smog catalog*

Heimagoblin
30-05-2010, 10:38
What is salute?

Lord Malorne
30-05-2010, 11:04
No cool / epic diorama apart from a terribly boring full Space Marine chapter painted in Outrider colours.

Then you missed the Nids vs Space wolves massive diorama fortress board, was truly awesome.

snottlebocket
30-05-2010, 11:25
I recall seeing a picture of a pair of girls cosplaying as mostly naked deamonettes. So there's that at least.

Tokamak
30-05-2010, 11:27
My store always sells games day miniatures so there's no reason for me to go.

I recall seeing a picture of a pair of girls cosplaying as mostly naked deamonettes. So there's that at least.

Could you provide a reference to the source for further research?

Griefbringer
30-05-2010, 11:49
What is salute?

Wargaming convention organised by South London Warlords:

http://www.salute.co.uk/

Could you provide a reference to the source for further research?

This might have something to do with it (though they might not actually be girls):

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/6448-.html

Plagueridden
30-05-2010, 12:55
Ditto, you'll see what really good club run demo/participation games are like, get much cheaper access and see just how good some of the competition is.
*Must stop dribbling over Smartmax Smog catalog*

yeah stop the madness with the smartmax smog1888, I am willing to sell my own bodyparts for more stuff form them:p
imho Salute breathes the real feel of wargaming and there is so much to see, awesome painting competition as well, which allows you to enter any brand of painted miniatures, and not only GW minis.

Justicar_Freezer
31-05-2010, 03:34
I've been going to GD baltimore since way back when the Dark Elves were released in 6th edition the first time. So I'd say maybe 8 or 9 years now. I had more fun back in the day when it was a two day long event and there were more club games and the like.

I remember seeing some really cool boards like the Orks vs Imperial Guard naval battle with the massive imperial oil platform and the ork aricraft carrier. I remember the danger planet guys running their awesome Witch Hunters vs Chaos marines game on the board with the nicely made cathederial. I also remember the big 40k games back when they were fun and not just bash'em up demo derbys with super heavies.

All that being said I usually go down with my two best buds and gaming opponents as well as my dad and most of the gaming group I play with. We make a day out of it usually hitting the shop first then seeing what the club games are like and what some of the special regestered tables look like.

Last year was better then the two years before it I thought from a gaming perspective. I actually played around 3 games. So I guess it all depends. If you have the cash to go, round up some buds and go have a good time. It's really as fun as you make it. Heck my other buds dad came down last year and he's never played a GW game before but he quite enjoyed it. Got a good laugh at some of the more over the top gamers and decided he was going to go again this year.

Oh and there's usually at least one good looking girl running around in a skimpy costume. I can recall a chick dressed up in a dark eldar warrior outfit I believe last year and the year before that there was the lady dressed as a dark elf sorcerous. Oh how we all wanted to play at the same table as her lol.

Well anyway that's my 2cents. If you wanna go and you haven't gone before go and check it out for yourself. You might like it, you might not.

TeddyC
31-05-2010, 14:02
Then you missed the Nids vs Space wolves massive diorama fortress board, was truly awesome.

Thats by the entrance to WHW now (as in the outside entrance)... vereh vereh kool!

Last one I went to was the undead hordes attacking the imperial castle. I liked old warhammer world though where part of the museam was these massive dioramas on display (like the assault on the imperial palace with Saginuous sp? fighting a bloodthirster and titans, or the one with the bretonians sallying forth against a lizardman force (quite why the lizzies were invading I dont know... but it was cool and they had the white rabbit from monty python)

and finally big toof river. that had the orc bombers and everything. Now you may say 'but what about forge world, the bombers and titans are common place'.... well... they were all made before forge world as as result were doublly cool

Zurubbu
31-05-2010, 22:04
Judging by what people have posted, it seems that games day is about as exciting as a funeral. With the exception of weirdo daemonette brainshaking.

penguin663
01-06-2010, 01:13
I've been the last 3 years the best part was the 16hour (there and back) journey. Alot funner than it would seem especially when you have travel Space Hulk and play sleep deprivation :D

Vaiuri
01-06-2010, 13:01
I've worked it and I've been as a customer.

Back when I worked it, I had more fun - but thats probably due to just running games and getting waaaaaaaaay too over-excited ;)

I will also point out that Workshop staff HAVE to be enthusiastic about everything, it is their job after all, more shocking is the possibility they actually ARE excited about Games Day.

To the OP: try it for yourself, if you like it go again :) If you dont, at least you know for yourself.

Chaos and Evil
01-06-2010, 13:16
What is salute?
The largest non-GW wargames convention in the UK.

It's very good.

Awilla the Hun
01-06-2010, 17:30
*seizes opportunity to show off gamesday snaps*

It isn't all bad. It's got excellent modelling on display, interesting cosplay to admire/ogle, sporadic discussions with Real GW People! and occasional innovative gaming experiences (see "Formula Waagh"), but there's something in me that dislikes excessive noise, disorder, panic, chaos, and generally standing in giant queues of 10-13 year olds for ages to grab a few minutes of some computer game, or stand around waiting for a chance to move a handful of models in some mega battle, or convert a Chaos Champion out of a rapidly diminishing pool of bits.