PDA

View Full Version : Very Early Begginer 2000 pt HE army

Ragnor2004
31-05-2010, 05:49
Ok just thinking about getting into Fantasy and I know i want to play HE and am looking at the High Elf Army (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020060&prodId=prod1050174) on gamesworkshop's website. Heres a ballpark army list using whats in the box, and probably add in another chariot as I love the lion Chariot model.

Noble 161
-Barded Steed
-Heavy Armor
-Helm of fortune
-Gaurdian Pheonix
-Lance

Mage 175
-Lvl 2
-Stafwood Staff

Mage 170
-lvl 2
-Dispell Scroll
-Jewel of Dusk

12 Archers 157
-Hawkeye
-musician
-standard

12 Archers 157
-Hawkeye
-musician
-standard

16 Lothern Seagaurd 233
-seamaster
-musician
-standard
-shields

16 Lothern Seagaurd 233
-seamaster
-musician
-standard
-shields

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100

Lion Chariot 140

Lion Chariot 140

5 Dragon Princes (will convert from silver helms) 220
-drakemaster
-musician
-standard
-war banner

1986 pts

So looking at this is your have comments or criticisms try to keep them aimed at my configuration of the army, my next purchase, which will be a while will probably be a box of spearmen/sea gaurd. I plan on running my Noble with my Dragon Princes and the mages with the sea guard or archers. I could also look at mounting one of the mages and running him with the Dragon Prices too. Finally I plan on getting the plastic swordmasters if they come out with the new set.

A Shadow
31-05-2010, 23:48
Your offensive capabilities are limited to the three units that will need to work in tandem to have any real effects. Drop the musicians and banner bearers from the archers and take another unit. My advice would be for a Battle Standard Bearer to hold the line.

Nocculum
01-06-2010, 00:37
I would hold off on any purchases until just after November, when hopefully the contents of the start box are revealed and any new potential plastics/re-hashes for High Elves are displayed.

Whilst it's a good deal, there could be better on the horizon.

Re. the army, the recommendation above for a battle standard bearer is a good one, given the relative reliance on units/combat; that back up is worthwhile. Drop the unit champions on the archers, and perhaps a single seaguard and add the Skeinsliver to the Drakemaster.

Fall from grace
01-06-2010, 00:52
Prince on a Star Dragon w Star Lance, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix and Talisman of Loec. 1+ armour save, 5+ ward save, 4 WS7 S7 no armour save + 6 WS7 S7 attacks will soon make that unit of Chaos Knights go away + if you use the Talisman you can re-roll all failed rolls to hit and wound but you lose a wound to do so.

CaptainFaramir
02-06-2010, 16:33
Right... things to definitely do. Drop the Hawkeyes and Standards from the archers, and ideally thin them down to their minimum size of 10. (This saves you 74 points).

Seaguard are an excellent choice for both 7th and 8th Ed., but you need to ask yourself what you are going to do with them. If they are simply mini-bunkers for your mages, then spearmen with do the trick just as well and are 4 points cheaper (up to 128 points saved). On the other hand, if you want to use them aggressively (especially with a view to 8th Ed.) I would bump them up to 18 (plus 52 points) for all three ranks, and 15 arrow-shots per turn.

Potentially this has saved you 200 points... and I would take a second unit of 6 Dragon Princes (naked) at 180 points, possibly with standard. This would give you a more mobile attacking force, with a unit of Princes supported by a chariot on both flanks.

Any other changes I could suggest might change the flavour of your list, which I actually think is a good one.

EDIT: P.S. Do NOT run the mage with the princes!! The job of the mages should be to cast spells, not stop your killiest unit from being able to get into combat!!

D'Haran
02-06-2010, 21:18
Looks like the start of a decent list, it's very heavily dependent on you being a good tactician however.

You have decent units for each phase and it seems like you're building the units with an eye towards 8th edition what with beefing up your archers. However the champions in this unit are probably misplaced, and we'll want to see the rulebook before we know if you want standards in them.

My biggest concern would be that you've spent 280 points more on core that you need to assuming HE are restrained to have a min of 25% core, while your special choices are 25% but according to rumors as an elite army you can take up to 50% in a HE list. Those extra 280 points would look alot better as a block unit of white lions or sword masters.

Lastly you're 6 points over the 25% max character cap, which means you need to shave off a few points, but your choices look pretty decent.