PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tactics and Strategy ?

ghostline
31-05-2010, 11:36
1. What is your favorite Playstyle? Hordes of cheap infantry? Lots of skirmishing? Tons of weirdo special units? Like rolling with solid blocks of elite infantry? Balanced? Whatever?

I like the Infantry game, I run tons of goblins when playing goblins. Any army i play i have to run lots of infantry. I like running at least 100 infantry models in any game i play(unless im playing my wood elves).

2. Whats your favorite Tactic?

I personally like the "fake flank" Where you run a lot of infantry and one cavalry unit. Deploy your Cavalry to one flank, so an opponent places an infantry unit to counter it with. Then move up the board with your infantry, while your cavalry move behind your lines to the opposite flank. By the time your infantry reaches the enemy lines, your cavalry will end up charging at the same time, and at an uprepared flank :)

3. Favorite Strategy?

To overwhelm the opponent, and attempt to flank/surround them.

lordmetroid
31-05-2010, 22:37
I am building a pure Night Goblins horde in Fantasy which will contain 240 models and in 40k I am playing Orkz which contains 120 models. In Fantasy I got no ranged weaponry at all except if you count the Fanatics. I like the Night Goblins because there charterful fluff, total unpredictability, zaniness and of course all the toys they bring to the Battlefield.

The 40k Orkz are a Bad Moonz tribe, going fullhearted into shooting. So it is a total contrast to Fantasy. With Fantasy I want to maneuver and trap my opponent with this very very unpredicatable and unreliable army. While in 40k I want to roll as many dice as I possible can. I always move my Orkz towards my opponent in 40k even as I lay down a devastating barrage of firepower. Finishing up the rest in close combat because Orkz even with kitted out to shoot can still deliver a painful close combat.

I haven't actually played a game of Fantasy yet so I couldn't tell you but I have planned the army to be doing a lot of anvil and hammer maneuvering supported by Chariots and Fanatics to control the charges, the battlefield will no doubt be a dangerous place to be at once the many Fanatics I have are released and the Squig herds goes wild.

I can't see how a strategy will survive even the first turn so I haven't really bothered with one, I'll try to deal with the situation as good as possible as it plays out.

Malorian
31-05-2010, 22:43
1. What is your favorite Playstyle? Hordes of cheap infantry? Lots of skirmishing? Tons of weirdo special units? Like rolling with solid blocks of elite infantry? Balanced? Whatever?

Hordes of infantry. Plain and simple.

Redirect and flank.

3. Favorite Strategy?

Encircle and pick apart.

Fall from grace
01-06-2010, 00:53
Seek and destroy.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
01-06-2010, 02:45
I like a large amount of core, with a mix of shooting (night goblins and spear chukkas) and CC (orc boyz).

Hammer (boar boy big 'uns, boar chariot, and giant) and anvil (orc boyz w/ shields).

I prefer to whittle the foe down with shooting and magic before running me boyz in. Against elite armies, I try using numbers and deployment to make them fight what I want them to (heavy, expensive units to gobbos and fast cav, cheaper stuff to da boyz).

papabearshane
02-06-2010, 02:51
Unleash the hords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghostline
02-06-2010, 06:14
Funny, how one could say Horde is the least skilled of all the tactics, but is the hardest strategy to master.

w3rm
02-06-2010, 23:08
With my skaven I like a mix of both. I enjoy Hordes as my skaven army has about 250 models in it. But I also like supporting my Clanrat and Slave blocks with heavy hitters like Rat Ogres, PCB, The Doomwheel and Plague Monks.

With my Orcs its more of a bait and flank.

With Daemons I generally go combat killy goodness.

ftayl5
03-06-2010, 07:40
In my newest army (Beastmen)

1. Hordes of cheap, killable but somewhat fighty units. COmined with a few monsters and other hitters.

2. Ambushing obviously. A well placed ambush by 20 Ungors is not something most gunlines can sniff at. And if tehy turn around to face them, they get some Centigors or a Chariot in the ass.

3. Overwhelm the opponent, hitting from all angles with a few hard hitters scattered throughout the horde.

frapermax
10-06-2010, 16:53
1. Good blocks, supported by flexible units like pistoleers, armies that look a bit like pike and shot armies from 17th century.
2. Bait, countercharge and flank
3. Isolate expensive units and destroy them. or create havoc in enemy lines and try to find a good spot to hit decisively. depending on what I face.
Nice thread btw

ColShaw
10-06-2010, 18:50
I love me my infantry, always have, but I like combined arms army selection; a mix of big infantry blocks, archers, war machines, and supporting cavalry.

I tend toward aggressive defensive tactics a lot of the time, using enough shooting to goad the enemy toward me, then lashing out at him when he gets close.

GuyLeCheval
10-06-2010, 19:00
1. What is your favorite Playstyle?

Specialized troops for special occasions.

Improvising and grabbing the occasional chance when I get it

3. Favorite Strategy?

Sniping out specialized units before they get the chance to do anything.

blackstork
10-06-2010, 19:27
Elite infranty, not many units, which are easier to drive.
Support by flying units and not bad magic.
And cheap units to fill core slots and redirect enemies.

gork or maybe mork
10-06-2010, 20:01
With my orcs n goblins:

1. chariots and orcs w/ characters as hammers, multiple units of 21 ng with shortbows and 5 man spider rider units as flankers. Oh, and a lot of artillery.

2. Fanatics - have a unit of gobs with fanatics behind one without them. When an enemy (preferably frenzied uber expensive knights of khorne) charge the front unit, the back unit releases fanatics. If the fanatics, as they should, land on the sacrificial unit, they get moved through, directly onto the charging enemy, and do double damage.

3. Bait, flee, flank, repeat.
(against chaos it's shoot, avoid, shoot, avoid, etc)

Gaargod
10-06-2010, 20:04
LM

1. Hammer units + supporting stuff to get into position. Who needs anvils? :D

2. (7th ed) 'follow me' skirmisher redirection tactics.

3. Although it doesn't work at all with this army, i do love seeing a nice refused flank.

_dandaman_
12-06-2010, 22:42
Favorite tactic? Line up, pretend youre just going to charge headlong without caring about casualties, then charge! Charge! Charge!