PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Count As Forces

Professor Grumbles
31-05-2010, 18:04
I have long had a problem with the fact that the army I would want to play (LatD) doesn't have a codex. I like naughty marines and demons, but I need traitor guard, mutants, and other foul entities to inhabit my army. Therefore, I decided to think outside the box and use a different set of rules to represent them. Eventually I found the Tyranids to do a surprisingly good job:

Hive Tyrant = Daemon Prince
Tyrant Guard = Mutant Bodyguard
Termagants = Traitor Guardsmen using salvaged weapons (pistols, shotguns, old weaponry, etc.)
Hormagaunts = Low Mutants (I imagined using the ungor figs from fantasy for them)
Trygons/Carnifexes = Summoned Daemons if coming from Deepstrike or Giant Mutants if they aren't
Tervigons = Demagogues riding giant mutants using foul magiks and dark chants to inspire grunts

I'm not sure how I can incorporate Zoanthropes, Hive Guard, Ripper Swarms, or Warriors but I think that this is an interesting enough start that I'm willing to see how far I can go with it.

Which leads me to my point: Has anybody else thought of any really left field, count as armies? Like using Daemons rules as an army of specialized drop troops who use forcefields instead of ceramite or wraithbone or using codex C:SM for inquisitorial forces?

Mannimarco
31-05-2010, 18:38
I congratulate you on wanting to play LATD and not doing what so many have done before "ok heres my traitor guard army, this marine is a counts as straken and these mech vets are blood pact"

thats not LATD, thats codex guard

I honestly cant say I've ever considered codex nids as a LATD army so kudos for thinking outside the box.

first place I went for my LATD was the siege of vraks books although I did once see the witch hunters and daemon hunters being used as LATD which I found delightfully ironic

Darwin_green
31-05-2010, 19:30
well, ripper swarms can be the good old "Gibbering Hordes".

zoanthropes can be cult Magi(maybe 2-3 to a 40mm base).

Warriors can be "big mutants".

wazatdingder
31-05-2010, 19:40
Zoanthropes= CSM sorcerer

I have always wanted to do a Mechanicus force using Nid rules, I actually think they are one of the best books to do a "count as" force due to the variety of stat lines and weapons.

Darwin_green
31-05-2010, 20:11
actually converted Giants or shaggoths would be really cool for carnifexes.

MOMUS
31-05-2010, 21:54
:evilgrin:Daemons/mutants/Latd counts as tyranids! You read my mind and i am not happy.
I was thinking using converted lotr trolls as warriors, mobile chaos gates (like a mini defiler) summoning daemon sprites counts as tervigons.

Look up deadites daemons for counts as brilliance.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253777

Dr.Mercury
31-05-2010, 23:08
I thought of using codex IG to do a Blood Axe Ork Army

Just bunches of Orks in uniform, and plenty of looted tanks

Thud
31-05-2010, 23:26
Plague Ogryns with massive guns as Hive Guard..?

ehlijen
01-06-2010, 04:31
I congratulate you on wanting to play LATD and not doing what so many have done before "ok heres my traitor guard army, this marine is a counts as straken and these mech vets are blood pact"

thats not LATD, thats codex guard

Why is that so bad again? If you don't like strakan use allied deamon hunters to get your space marines.

Finn
01-06-2010, 05:49
first place I went for my LATD was the siege of vraks books although I did once see the witch hunters and daemon hunters being used as LATD which I found delightfully ironic

A buddy of mine is putting the finishing touches on a Chaos Cultist army using the Sisters rules. I love it :p.

I also like this idea. Conversion plog please ;).

spiderman5z
01-06-2010, 06:30
this idea is awesome!! I really wanna do this now cept im working on my other projects! guess ill just have to do this one next!!

arch_inquisitor
01-06-2010, 06:41
My weird idea is a digganob army using Ork rules, some actual digganob models and converted catachans. It will be mostly a speed freak style army. But yours is a good idea like the others say a plog would be nice.

Logarithm Udgaur
01-06-2010, 17:28
Counts as World Eaters using the Blood Angels codex (not very original, but neither is the Blood Angels codex), as they basically gave everything they took from the World Eaters in the 4thEd codex to the Blood Angels.

Genestealer Cult using Codex:Orks, with the fearlessness representing the Hive Mind's domination, and Weirdboy Magus. Shoddy shooting and ramshackle vehicles throughout.

Professor Grumbles
01-06-2010, 23:33
I'll probably do a plog...once I get done with the vast ork horde I still have to finish for my brother.

Edit: That Genestealer Cult idea is a really cool one. The conversions would be crazy.

And what is a digganob? I've never heard of that before.

DDogwood
02-06-2010, 01:04
And what is a digganob? I've never heard of that before.

Diggas are non-mutated human survivors from the space hulk that crashed on Gorkamorka. They rebuilt their society and modeled their culture on the Orks who were now infesting the planet.

Dr.Mercury
02-06-2010, 01:07
Diggas are non-mutated human survivors from the space hulk that crashed on Gorkamorka. They rebuilt their society and modeled their culture on the Orks who were now infesting the planet.
I thought the diggas were the human inhabitants of the planet that were forced underground when the space hulk crashed and brought the orks.

Logarithm Udgaur
02-06-2010, 01:24
They are from Gorkamorka, a Necromunda style GW game from the mid 90s.
Here is pictures of a few of them.
http://www.bobnbootzmodels.co.uk/acatalog/Gorkamorka_Digga_Mob.html

Edit: Some say they are the remnants of a Mechanicus Explorator team that crash landed there. I do not have the book, so the speculation continues.

slade the slaughter
21-06-2010, 23:31
Here is a cool counts as army. Pretty much just what your after!
http://http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/244650.page

LonelyPath
21-06-2010, 23:37
Great idea for LatD! As for Zoanthropes, put a psyker floating above a 40mm base, it should work well enough for LOS. Hive Guard can be teams of guys with a large high-intensity indurial laser thing they've stolen from somewhere.

Chiron
22-06-2010, 01:02
Dwarves as Squats, count as Space Marines (even better if on Bikes)

e2055261
22-06-2010, 01:06
I once saw a set of cutlery counts as chaos demons. The demon ran away with the spoon...etc

baphomael
22-06-2010, 13:35
well, ripper swarms can be the good old "Gibbering Hordes".

zoanthropes can be cult Magi(maybe 2-3 to a 40mm base).

Warriors can be "big mutants".

or maybe a floaty Daemonhost type thing?

Void Reaper
22-07-2010, 02:39
I know this Professor Grumbles...a noted heretic from middle Merica. Seize him! ;)

That being said, while not being a "count as" army per se, I'd like to model an IG army as barbarians (carrying bolt-action rifles, axes, chainmail/crude plate armor, and ridiculous Mad-Max style hairdos), give them Straken, and use them as a regiment from a primitive Imperial backwater. I suspect it's been done, probably by people here on Warseer, but I'd still love to give it a shot. Perhaps model Leman Russes as mammoths, dinosaurs, or some such with artillery pieces on their backs and ramshackle armor covering them.

Tourniquet
22-07-2010, 02:47
I think its a great idea, go ahead and do it IMO!

Mannimarco
22-07-2010, 02:48
Feral world guard could look interesting

I once new a guy who was going to build a guard army based on the raiders from fallout 3 (cmon it wasnt that bad, just different) but I dont know how far he got with them.

Professor Grumbles
22-07-2010, 18:31
I know this Professor Grumbles...a noted heretic from middle Merica. Seize him! ;)
You know nothing. Btw when next we game, I expect a giant squiggoth with a basilisk hot glued to its back.

Sir_Turalyon
22-07-2010, 19:16
I've always wanted to do Malalite warband using Deamonhunter codex. Underlying idea was that all Malal worshippers are loner champions, badasses prefering and able to fight small armies on their own, and biggest force you can get is really small warband or really elite warriors who can stand each other for the time being. As small, elite army with anti-chaos rules Deamonhunters look perfect; non-uniform sturcture (Malalite Marines counting as Gray Knights fighting next to human champions counting as inquisitors / assassins / stormtroopers) can really give feel of ad hoc alliance of independent warriors. Maybe as my next army...