PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Beastmen - total noob need help :)

Latro_
01-06-2010, 12:53
Ok so big 40k player always dabbled with fantasy, had a daemons army but dont think it's helping me learn the game much + no one wants to play against it hehe.

So thought i'd branch out into a more mainstream army and take units I like the 'look' of but still be kinda ok on the tabletop.

Can someone tell me if this is glaringly a godawful list?

Beastlord 223
Pelt of shadow gave, Hand Weapon
Shield, Gnarled Hide, Tali Protect

Bray-shamen 125
2x Scrolls

Wargor 89
Great weapon

7 Ungor Raiders 45
Musician, Short bows

7 Ungor Raiders 45
Musician, Short bows

7 Ungor Raiders 45
Musician, Short bows

7 Ungor Raiders 45
Musician, Short bows

18 Gors 169
2x Hand Weapons, Full Cmd

17 Bestigors 234
Heavy Armour, Great Weapons
Full cmd

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

Giant 225

So the beast lord goes with the bestigors and gives them -1 getting shot at and -2 on magic at them. I'v given him other gear so he has a 2+ save in combat right? trying to keep him alive since the army needs his ld9

Wargor goes with the gors.

I have read that gors an bestigors suck royally in the new book compared to other armies, but i wanted the army to look like an army and not just a hodgepodge.

The shamen geared up for magic defence goes with the gors too (ok idea?)

Ungor raiders i'v heard are awesome so i'v got 2 units for screening and 2 to ambush and be a nuisance

I have a lot of the old metal minotaurs and folks have said they are pretty decent so i'v gone for a lot of them, too many?

Giant at the end as no points for the better rare choices and also wont have to convert a huge model.

So idea is lots of big stuff to clump things, solid core of troops and some ungors to cause havoc.

A Shadow
01-06-2010, 22:29
That's a lot of Minotaurs. Nothing wrong with that, although with so many it might be worth taking a Minotaur character.

With ambushing, 2 units of 7 armed with bows isn't a real lot. If you dropped a unit of Minotaurs you could take another unit of Gors and have them ambush to cause real problems.

Sarael
02-06-2010, 06:06
Agreed.

Ambushing Ungors are march blockers and shooty annoyances. If your enemy is already ahead of them by 8" or more they aren't march blocking, they're just annoying. Ambushing a big block of gors though, that's a 3 rank + std unit in my backfield, I'd be worried about that.

Another thing Ungors are good at is bait and switch. Something to think about.

Latro_
02-06-2010, 08:33
So more troops then!? I thought I had too many rank an file troops as it is since everything on the interwebs suggests gors/bestigors are rarely worth it. I was only taking them as I love the models and want it to look like a 'real' army.

I guess the more competitive (if there is such a thing) beasty armies would take 4 minoutaur units and a bucket load more ambushing raiders?

Is the wargor in the gor unit a good idea? I could drop him for some more troops.

I'm also worried the shamen isnt gonna cut it as magic defence, was originally gonna take a cygor.

Memnos
02-06-2010, 08:44
More rank and file will be a necessity in 1 month and 8 days.

So more troops then!? I thought I had too many rank an file troops as it is since everything on the interwebs suggests gors/bestigors are rarely worth it. I was only taking them as I love the models and want it to look like a 'real' army.

I guess the more competitive (if there is such a thing) beasty armies would take 4 minoutaur units and a bucket load more ambushing raiders?

Is the wargor in the gor unit a good idea? I could drop him for some more troops.

I'm also worried the shamen isnt gonna cut it as magic defence, was originally gonna take a cygor.

Latro_
02-06-2010, 08:59
ah i heard about this, fantasy is going the way of 40k with objectives right? I'm guessing skimishers wont be able to claim these?

I knew %'s were likly back so tried to have 25% of everything.

A Shadow
02-06-2010, 09:28
Troops win battles. Unless you end up facing a magic-offensive army then the Shaman should be sufficient to weather some of the damage.

Gaargod
02-06-2010, 14:52
What world do you live on? In 7th ed, troops do not win battles. Monsters, cavalry, magic and stubborn blobs win battles.

8th ed... 8th ed is different. Gors will be a lot more useful, minotaurs about the same (stomp attacks, but random charge does not benefit them relatively).

As far as i can see, your lord does indeed have a 2+/6++ in combat. Not very hitty though. Like... at all. Furthermore, as far as i know, pelt of the shadowgrave only works with attacks specifically going against the bearer (i could be wrong, don't have the book to hand). In which case i'd suggest dropping it. Maybe take brass cleaver, ramhorn helm, gnarled hide, many armed fiend, shield and heavy armour. Talisman of prot if you can be bothered. It gives you a 1+ save all the time and you hit a LOT harder (probably 7-8 attacks). More expensive of course, but worth it i would suggest.

As others have said, bestigors are very meh. Normal gors will work better for the points. They're also one of the infantry units who don't majorly benefit by next ed - extra rank of attacking is great, but they'll take more damage, are a special choice and are too expensive to take in big units realistically.

A fan of the minotaurs. Although personally, i'd give them banners - i find that cav/monsters often need that extra bit of cr. Just me though.

Giant is obviously super 'meh' compared to the other rare choices.

EbonhartLegions
04-06-2010, 12:06
i don't know how beastigors are going to be in 8th but in 7th their not really worth it, they take up a slot you could use for more minotaurs, harpies, or upgrading to a doombull.

KHolbourn
04-06-2010, 12:31
Hey.

I'd start by dropping the ungors down to units of 6. That way when they take 2 causalities and fail their panic test there is only 4 of them so can't cause panic in other creatures.

With the Wargor, unless you're going to give him some equipment I'd drop him and instead get a unit (with his points and the ungor points saved) of ~15 gors for ambushing.

I'd also probably drop the 3rd unit of minotaurs and spend that cash on some of the following:- 1-2 Core chariots to support the main Gor/bestigor blocks. Expanding said blocks. Or upgrading the giant to either the more useful Cygor/Ghorgon.
I'm not a huge fan of scroll caddies (its a little dull for my taste; so I'd possibly with some of that saving trade the shaman for a minotaur character and let him lead frenzied Gors).

Latro_
09-06-2010, 10:46
Thanks for all the comments guys really been helpful.

here is what i am now thinking, Basically droped the giant, the wargor and changed ungors to 6. Pts saved i bought 4!! chariots!

Changed the lord as kinda suggested so now he still has a 2+ save and gets additional attacks for those in b2b with him + an instant attack if he makes a save.

Army should hit a lot harder now right? with the chariots? I was thinking of running them in pairs to break stuff. maybe drop a chariot an take 2 more ungor units?

Beastlord 226
Ramhorn Helm, Heavy Armour
Gnarled Hide, Tali Protect
Brass Cleaver

Bray-shamen 127
2x Scrolls, 2x Hand weapons

Tuskgor Chariot 80

Tuskgor Chariot 80

Tuskgor Chariot 80

Tuskgor Chariot 80

6 Ungor Raiders 39
Musician, Short bows

6 Ungor Raiders 39
Musician, Short bows

6 Ungor Raiders 39
Musician, Short bows

6 Ungor Raiders 39
Musician, Short bows

19 Gors 177
2x Hand Weapons, Full Cmd

17 Bestigors 234
Heavy Armour, Great Weapons
Full cmd

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

4 Minotaurs 252
Great Weapons

A Shadow
09-06-2010, 22:49
Personally I'd drop a pair of Chariots for another Gor unit, but if you want 4 chariots then go for it.

Latro_
09-06-2010, 23:00
yea i was thinking that or maybe a minotau hereo with bsb?

thesheriff
10-06-2010, 21:47
i would drop the bestigor for some more gor and a doom bull. With percentage, you ahev 273 points to spend on him. Give him a magic wep and soem armour. Or keep him really cheap and out in a bsb aswell

thesheriff

Latro_
11-06-2010, 09:07
Yea keep getting a lot of folks putting a downer on the beasigors, really wanna take em for the models thats the thing. Perhaps I could relegate them to 2500pts if they preform badly.

Someone i know mentioned putting the lord with brass cleaver on a chariot, since he gets +1 attack for every model in b2b this could be pretty sick no?

LaurentleBete
13-06-2010, 01:22
Someone i know mentioned putting the lord with brass cleaver on a chariot, since he gets +1 attack for every model in b2b this could be pretty sick no?

It is... Till people just catch on and challenge him. I prefer the stonecrusher mace. Taken down an entire regiment of Temple Guard then chased off the Slaan with that.