PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Points of Empire for a Tournament

Templar47
01-06-2010, 19:20
I just learned of a 2,250 point tournament that is to be held at my store this Sunday, but there are some very nifty rules to it, for the torunament itself and rules for each army. So for starters, the general rules are:

1. No Special Characters.

Example: Orcís and Goblinsí Grimgor Ironhide

*This includes named unit upgrades.

Example: Daemons of Chaosís Karanak, Hound of Vengeance.

2. No Greater Daemons.

Example: Blood Thirster.

3. No flying T6 models.

Example. Wood Elvesí Forest Dragon.

4. An Army may have no more than 10 power dice.

To determine your power dice equivalent:
1. Include your two free power dice for being an army.
2. Add one power dice per magic level your mages possess.*
3. Add one power dice for each item you possess which casts a bound spell.
4. Add one power dice for each power stone you possess.
5. Refer to your army entry in the rules pack for further power dice additions.

* - Include magic levels granted by magic items or special mounts (eg Gem of Hoeth, Engine of the Gods, etc)

5. No Dogs of War Units will be allowed (Dogs of War Armies are fine).

6. No Double Rare Selections.

Examples: A DE player cannot take two Hydras. A Skaven player cannot take two Doom Wheels.

7. No Triple Special Selections.

Example: Daemons of Chaos cannot take three units of Flesh Hounds.

And besides these rules, each army has there own set of rules they have to follow. For the Empire, there rules are:

1. No Steam Tanks.

2. A player can take the Mace of Helsturm or the Van Horstmannís Speculum, but not both.

3. A Warrior Priest counts as a Power Dice.

4. An Arch Lector counts as two Power Dice.

5. A War Altar of Sigmar counts as a Power Dice

6. Empire players cannot take more than four war machines including the War Altar of Sigmar.
So with these rules in place, I came up with an armylist that I think will be pretty effective so tell me what you guys think.

*General Martin von Wolf:
-w/S.O.P. Pistol, Armor of Metric Iron, White Cloack

*Captain Marcus von Kendolf:
-w/BSB, HW, Full Plate Armor, Griffon Standard

*Warrior Priest Gunthar:
-w/GW, Hvy. Armor, Doomfire Ring, Barded Warhorse

*Battle Wizard Albretch:
-w/lvl. 2, Rod of Power

*(24x) Spearmen: (w/Battle Wizard)
-w/Full Command, Shields. Warbanner
-Detachment of 9x Swordsmen
-Detachment of 5x Handgunners

*(24x) Spearmen: (w/bsb)
-w/Full Command, Shields

*(10x)Huntsmen:
-w/Marksmen

*(9x)Knights of the Blazing Sun: (w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command, Shields, Steel Standard

*(19x) Teutogen Guard (aka GS): (w/General)
-w/Full Command, Banner of Duty

*(6x) Pistoliers:
-w/musician. Outrider w/Repeater Pistol

*Great Cannon:

*Great Cannon:

*Hellstorm Rocket Battery:

A Shadow
01-06-2010, 23:26
Interesting collection of additional rules. Should make for a rather combat driven tournament. Your list looks good, would probably be fine in a regular tournament.

MontyRogue
02-06-2010, 20:02
I like the list, but you have two state troop units with magic standards so you will have to drop one. Some suggestions to strengthen the list without tossing out your theme:

-Put the BSB on a barded horse for a better armor save

-Give the WP a barded horse as well, but drop the GW and give him a Sword of Might and a shield for better protection, plus he won't strike last when your Knights get tied up in combat; meaning that you'll have a better chance of using those str5 attacks when it really counts!

-add one GS to the Generals unit. Deploy GS in 3 ranks of 7. Give your GS the Warbanner.

-Drop one Spearman from the BSB's unit. It makes points for the adjustments I suggested and the BSB and his mount will fit flush.

Now your list is legal and comes out to exactly 2250pts.

Templar47
03-06-2010, 00:51
Well, after moving some points around and finally recieving a unit of 6th edition Halberds from a friend, I cam up with a new army list so tell me if this one is better or should I stick with the first.

*General Martin von Wolf:
-w/S.O.P, Pistol, F.P.A, Shield, Holy Relic, Barded Warhorse

-w/BSB, HW, Full Plate Armor, Griffon Standard, Barded Warhorse

*Warrior Priest Gunthar:
-w/GW, hvy. armor, Shield, Barded Warhorse

*Warrior Priest Raner:
-w/GW, hvy. armor, Shield, Barded Warhorse

*(25x) Spearmen: (w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command, Shields

*(25x) Spearmen: (w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command, Shields

*(25x) Halberds: (w/bsb)
-w/Full Command, Shields

*(10x) Handgunners:
-w/Marksmen w/Long Rifle

*(19x) Teutogen Guard (aka GS): (w/General)
-w/Full Command, Banner of Duty

*(6x) Pistoliers:
-w/musician. Outrider w/Repeater Pistol

*Great Cannon:

*Great Cannon:

papabearshane
03-06-2010, 00:56
I think 2 Warrior Priests would be a good idea as you will be seeing lots of Combat heavy armies. My vote is for the Priest. Good luck.

papabearshane
03-06-2010, 01:00
Vanilla Knights might be a good idea as you are going with a slower list and they will help you get some flank charges/rank breaking in. Also the GWs on your priests is Not the best idea, Try the "Hammer" of Might and the "Hammer of Power" Drop a few Rank and files from your 25 strong units and you should have wnough points. Enjoy the Turny.

A Shadow
03-06-2010, 07:31
Personally I'd take the first list. With only two Warrior Priests enemy magic will run rampant over your army.

vinush
03-06-2010, 07:40
You can't have three attemts at rolling stubborn Ld8. You can never reroll a reroll, so the second roll stands regardless of result.

I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of having mounted characters in units of infantry. Also, GW and Shield is a usage conflict as the character can't benefit from both at the same time. If you mount your WPs, you only getStr +1 for GW, if they're on foot they get +2Str. It's a choice of wheather you want extra hitty or extra save.

Can I ask why spearmen over Swordsmen? Swordsmen are a batter option all round, especially if you get the charge. They have +1 Init over spearmen, +1 WS and +1 save (to the front only).

Also, I would think about putting some Swordsmen as a detatchment for the GS unit.

THE \/ince

Templar47
03-06-2010, 16:33
Ah ok, thnxs for letting me know about the GS and the banner of duty, kinda sucks that I can't have 3 re-rolls but its not a big deal. And I 'm aware that I don't have the much magic defense, thats my only real big issue, but from what I've seen people run either magic heavy or little magic at all so I guess it just kinda depends, but I do plan to change my Warrior Priests weapons, just haven't got around to it yet. And my reason for taking Spearmen or Swordsmen is for there versatility. True they have only a WS3 and a I3, they are a real flexible unit, and depending on the opponent, I can switch back and forth between them. Such as if I get hit by troops such as clan rats or goblins, I would use the spears, but if I where to get hit by Chaos Warriors or knights, I would use the Sword and shield. I have done this already and so far my 2 regiments of spears have done great, plus the flexibility is a good bonus depending on who you are fighting.

mo-man
03-06-2010, 22:33
Just out of curiosity why are you taking warrior priests without flaggelants(sp) those crazed men are amazing as flank anchors.

Templar47
03-06-2010, 22:42
Well for starters I don't have flaggelant models at the moment, and plus the GS currently do that very well and so far they haven't let me down yet.

mo-man
03-06-2010, 23:00
but sometimes it's better to be unbreakable than it is to be stubborn?

Templar47
04-06-2010, 01:41
True, but GS can do more damage in CC then flaggalents in my opinion, actually have an armor save, and plus the models I'm using (the Teutogen Guard) look a lot cooler in my opinion.

Jind_Singh
05-06-2010, 05:48
I agree - stick with the theme first, game second. I am surprised to see a total lack of Knights though, did you know that for a mere 123pts you get 5 of the buggers with a musician - now stick a mounted priest and you've got an actual hammer unit!

I would have also traded a few detachments of hand gunners for crossbows - just for the added range which means you can use them from turn 1 onwards - i know our hand gunners get the additional -1 armor save, but even 5-10 cross bows is enough.

On an aside - lots of tournaments have it in for our poor Steam Tank - Oh, the Empire players can't take a steam tank - what a bunch of windy interfering gas bags! Oh lets stop Skaven from using a Hellpit - or Dark Elf Hydra, Lizardmen Stegadons, etc, etc - it's just a bloody moving cannon for petes sake! Soon as it takes 4 wounds it's a piece of junk! And it's just toughness 6 - same as most large targets - my Goblins munch through steam tanks like a knife though hot butter - I think our gaming community in general needs to get over it - Steam tanks are not that bad, stop bastardizing them tournament organizers!

Templar47
05-06-2010, 07:09
I don't get it either, but that's the rules so I'm going to have to follow it. Anyways, I actually came in a stroke of luck yesterday when a guy who used to play empire gave me the Elector Count on a Griffon model for free! So without further ado I quickly made a army list with this guy in it so tell me what you guys think of it (oh and I forgot to mention I only have these models at the moment so this is what I'm pretty much stuck with).

General Martin Von Wolf:
-w/Sword of Might, AOMI, Laurels of Victory, Griffon Mount

+Pretty expensive, but can dish out a total of 7 S5 attacks (including the Griffon), with 3 of them granting the possibility of 6 wounds for Combat Resolution thanks to the Laurels of Victory.

-w/BSB, HW, Full Plate Armor, Griffon Standard, Barded Warhorse

+Has a better save when mounted, and with the Griffon Banner, the spearmen unit he's in is very hard to break.

*Warrior Priest Gunthar:
-w/Hw, Shield, Hvy. Armor, Barded Warhorse

*Warrior Priest Raner:
-w/2x HW, Hvy. Armor

+Both very cheap, but effective, and give hatred to my units, making them more effective in the first round of CC, and good for the extra DD.

*(24x) Spearmen: (w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command, Shields. Warbanner

*(24x) Spearmen: (w/bsb)
-w/Full Command, Shields

+Standard setup, with one unit w/the war banner to give them a better edge in CC. Proven to be more useful here then with my Teutogen Guard in my opinion.

*(10x) Handgunners: (or) *(10x)Huntsmen:
-w/Marksmen w/Long Rifle -w/Marksmen

+Can either go with the Huntsmen for the skirmishing and scout rule to pick off enemy war machines, or could go with the handgunners for the armor piercing rounds and the long rifle.

*(9xx) I.C. Knights of the Blazing Sun: (w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command, Shields

+I usually don't field this, but like I said, I'm using what models I have at the moment. Pretty much line up in support of my infantry, run around and do what they do best, and with the warrior priest are way more effective on the charge.

*(20x) Teutogen Guard (aka GS):
-w/Full Command

+Very good unit that hasn't let me down yet.

*Great Cannon:

*Great Cannon:

+All of my artillery, decided to go with the 2x great cannons to take out chariots, dragons, war-machines, etc., while the Hellstorm Rocket Battery targets infantry units.

Total: 2,248 points

A Shadow
05-06-2010, 11:39
Looks good.

Jind_Singh
05-06-2010, 17:46
Take the hunstmen over handgunners - don't bother with a marksman as this unit has one job and one job alone - to die in sacrifice for our Empire - be it drawing out fanatics, or blocking a powerful unit LOS to our army - so don't waste extra points on them.

Knights - shame you modeled them with full command, not sure if I would as there are just 5 knights in the whole army - they will be a target for just about anyone so it's a points sink that might not return the investment.

Dropping the inner-circle upgrade allows for 2 important effects:

1) Drops points cost on a unit of Knights that are easy to break, even with inner circle upgrade they don't cut it as you didn't invest into a mounted warrior priest to make them worth their points.
2) You'll have enough points for a combat detachment on your Great Swords - the Greatswords need the flanking detachment to eliminate combat res or they will get punked! Without a BSB to re-roll the break test you need to minimize how many turns you'll be rolling to break - especially since your general (I like the idea of the Griffin mounted general by the way, something I've always wanted to do but didn't as I prefer the leadership bubble).

Good luck, may Sigmar be with you at the tournament!