PDA

View Full Version : Skull Pass Dwarves- can this not suck?

djkest
02-06-2010, 15:03
I am wanting to make a dwarf army that doesn't suck and uses skull pass minis. I have 2 sets so this is what I'll have:

24 Dwarf Warriors, 20 Dwarf Thunderers, 16 Dwarf Miners, 2 Dwarf Thanes, 2 Dwarf Dragon Slayer, 2 Dwarf Cannon and three crew

I was thinking that I am going to want a unit of slayers, but are they still all-metal at this point? Also, cannons are fun but I think bolt throwers might be better? This army will be used post 8th-edition rules.

Any recommendations? Or maybe I should scrap this idea to make my army more powerful?

bigcheese76
02-06-2010, 15:12
Well, slayers although metal are great units and work really well. With regards to cannons or bolt throwers, I would advise cannons. The two reasons are you have the cannons already and in my opinoin they are much better in game to use as long as you are reasonably good at guessing ranges.

djkest
02-06-2010, 15:57
Rumor has it that guessing ranges is going away in 8th, and that there are no "partial hits" anymore, anything hit by template is killed.

Agnar the Howler
02-06-2010, 16:22
Rumor has it that guessing ranges is going away in 8th, and that there are no "partial hits" anymore, anything hit by template is killed.

It might be good to invest in some Grudge Thowers then, as you already have the obligatory cannons, flame cannons could also be nice.

Bladelord
02-06-2010, 16:36
Convert one of your cannons into a flame cannon by using the cart you get in Battle for Skull Pass:)

TMATK
02-06-2010, 16:53
If you can use non-GW minis, Mantic's Ironclads could stand-in for ironbreakers or hammerers. http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Dwarfs/Ironclads.html

djkest
03-06-2010, 17:11
With 2 BFSP kits, using 1 thane and no slayers, it comes out right about 1,000 points. Not sure of the usefulness of 16 miners, but we'll see. I guess my basic idea of the army is lots of shooty units, a few tarpit units, and the "surprise" miners to take out warmachines or basically flank charge units. It would be similar to a thorek gunline army, but without thorek, and without a total gunline (so not much like that, then). People might actually want to play against me.

Also, quarrellers are STR 4 24" and Thunderers are STR 4 30" and -1 AS right? So basically 1000 pts for about 50 bucks, and then if I shop around e-bay I'm hoping to flesh out the rest of the army for another $50-60... very cheap army to screw around with. Now if I can find some dwarf-skin colored primer and a flesh wash dip....

ClockworkCorsair
03-06-2010, 18:44
Not quite.
Quarellers are str 4 30' while thunders are str 4 24' AP
Not sure can crossbowmen move and fire as well?

Kalandros
03-06-2010, 18:50
move or fire for both weapons.

bluemage
05-06-2010, 04:23
Thunders are also +1 hit because of how well made they're supposed to be. Would have been easier to just give them bs 4 instead of making a new rule, but ah well. That's a personal gripe.

The list my do well, I really don't have much experience with dwarves. You might want to convert a bsb out of a standard bear if you can. I know its a one piece plastic but you would put him on a nicer base, add a dead goblin or something to it, and paint him a different color.

Paraelix
08-06-2010, 00:06
Thunders are also +1 hit because of how well made they're supposed to be. Would have been easier to just give them bs 4 instead of making a new rule, but ah well. That's a personal gripe.

Modding the statline makes them appear a veteran unit.

(I had the same query in 40k with my Venomthropes being Bs4 with no gun... It's cos it has the same statline as the other thrope (zoan))

spiderman5z
08-06-2010, 01:14
i played a 1k game with all skull pass and kicked some beastmen ass! so yes it can not suck

BeardedWaaagh
09-06-2010, 05:07
I used the Battle for Skull Pass as my army base. I think you could realistically add a Organ Gun to that list and you can last for awhile. You also want to consider your play type. What do you like to do more? Fight or shoot?

Cordantheman
11-06-2010, 07:36
I am wanting to make a dwarf army that doesn't suck and uses skull pass minis. I have 2 sets so this is what I'll have:

24 Dwarf Warriors, 20 Dwarf Thunderers, 16 Dwarf Miners, 2 Dwarf Thanes, 2 Dwarf Dragon Slayer, 2 Dwarf Cannon and three crew

I was thinking that I am going to want a unit of slayers, but are they still all-metal at this point? Also, cannons are fun but I think bolt throwers might be better? This army will be used post 8th-edition rules.

Any recommendations? Or maybe I should scrap this idea to make my army more powerful?

-If you run Dragon Slayers I would consider running them bare cause they can easily make up there points just the way they are with no runes if played correctly.
-Bolt Throwers are better in the fact they cost almost nothing and you can take 2 for one special slot. They are used for picking off big creatures and things you normally can't hold in combat because there are very few things you can't hold in combat and these are perfect for weakening all of them.
-Organ guns have and, even with 8th on the way, are better than cannons by far.
-Miners are only good for taking out warmachines in my experience. Ironbreakers and Hammerers are much better selections and out of any of your special infantry choices Ironbreakers are the best cause they survive almost anything with there large armor save and ability to take a runic stanndard with a above average stat of toughness 4.
-If anything spamming warriors with gun support is the best strat for dwarfs cause there core is one of the most resilient core choices in the game with dwarf warriors.
-In next edition gunlines will probably not be as viable because of the amount of objective capture scenarios foretold on the horizon just like in 40k. So I would consider running your shooty as support shooty.