PDA

View Full Version : Best Squad Leader

Shas'o Kais
02-06-2010, 15:09
What is the best squad leader out of these? An Ork Nob, A Space Sarine Sergent, a Tau Shas'ui, A Dire Avenger exarch or a Chaos Space marine Champion (is champion right?), post your opinions. (Note: This is in gaming terms, not fluff.)

Charistoph
02-06-2010, 15:16
You forgot Wolf Guard.

spurker
02-06-2010, 15:19
The champion can be sacrificed to summon a greater daemon, that's pretty sweet!

Wade Wilson
02-06-2010, 15:24
Isnt there a dark eldar wych squad leader (sybarite?). With combat drugs, 4+ invuln dodge save, wych weapons and (potentialy) an agonisor, i would bung her up there with the others.

Ach hell, completely forgot to mention the genestealer Boodlord (it is also an upgrade character/squad leader). Thats who my vote would go to. A multi wound psycher with a profile most IC's would love to have, fleet, infiltrate and rending. :)

But out of the above choices listed...possibly the best all rounder is the space marine/chaos champion. Pleanty of attacks and a hidden powerfist in the squad...nasty.

Rydmend
02-06-2010, 15:28
Blood Angels sarg with the Sang upping him to a mini IC.

gwarsh41
02-06-2010, 15:31
You forgot Wolf Guard.

With the ability to do virtually anything, including every CC wep in the book, TDA or not, every combi weapon, and biker, or jump pack makes for a pretty sweet squad leader.

I like the wolf guard because of their versatility, and you dont have to bring one if you dont want to spend the points. A luxury of playing space wolves (they are totally worth it though)

GrogDaTyrant
02-06-2010, 15:41
I don't think Nobs can even compete, as they're pretty much only there for bosspoles and PKs, and are forced to fill in for the army's primary anti-tank.

ehlijen
02-06-2010, 15:49
With the ability to do virtually anything, including every CC wep in the book, TDA or not, every combi weapon, and biker, or jump pack makes for a pretty sweet squad leader.

I like the wolf guard because of their versatility, and you dont have to bring one if you dont want to spend the points. A luxury of playing space wolves (they are totally worth it though)

And yet, wolf guard are not true squad leaders. They are models seconded from another unit that takes its own slot and looses those models in order to add it to other units.

While undoubtedly decent, they do not qualify as 'squad leaders' any more than independent characters.

Who is however missing is Warlocks (who are distinct enough from exarchs to get their own slot) and whatever the dark eldar ones are called.

I have to say of the given options, exarchs are the best. The ability to add several decent boosting powers to their squad is great, but it greatly depends on which aspect you're talking about.

Godzooky
02-06-2010, 15:53
Sergeant Bastonne?

Comrade Penguin
02-06-2010, 16:03
Crapo! I clicked shasui but I meant exarch!

The exarch is my favorite because he has abilities that can significantly benefit the rest of the squad. Blade storm and defend easily come to mind. Most of the other squad leaders just walk around with over sized fists.

Fixer
02-06-2010, 16:08
Nob.

Adds a str 9 powerklaw on the charge, effectively unkillable via wound allocation due to being a 2 wound model. Allows a standard boyz unit that's allready a great infantry killer to murder pretty much anything in the game on a charge.

GrogDaTyrant
02-06-2010, 16:12
Nob.

Adds a str 9 powerklaw on the charge, effectively unkillable via wound allocation due to being a 2 wound model. Allows a standard boyz unit that's allready a great infantry killer to murder pretty much anything in the game on a charge.

Having 20+ soak-wounds helps him, but there's a disturbing trend of psychic abilities that allow you to completely bypass all allocation. JOTWW comes to mind.

Shas'o Kais
02-06-2010, 19:56
I still think a nob hits pretty hard..

Askari
02-06-2010, 20:44
As has been said already.

Chaos Aspiring Champion... because taking him allows me to sacrifice him to take a woefully undercosted MC :D

Bunnahabhain
02-06-2010, 20:47
My first though from just glancing at the thread title....

An Ancestor Lord.
Definitely the best Squat leader. Teminator armour, a force weapon or power fist, Ld 10 psychic powers, exotic wargear options. WS8, S5, T6, W4, I5 and 4A.

Then I read it properly....

Dr.Mercury
02-06-2010, 20:51
SHas'ui
Cause bumping up to Leadership 8 and the capability to take up to 2 drones is absolutely outstanding.

I hope you caught the sarcasm.

pvpbob
02-06-2010, 20:57
What about broodlords?

Cirion
02-06-2010, 20:58
Out of the options given I would say the DA exarch, Bladestorm, Defend and shimmershield + PW makes the DA unit so much better and can tarpit a lot of units very effective.

IcedAnimals
02-06-2010, 23:48
I have to say Veteran Sister Superiors are the best squad leaders you can find. They can take items from the armory which is huge and their ability to give the squad true stubborn is like the single best item in the game. Plus they make the unit faithful. So you can give the squad invuln saves, AP1 bolters, power weapons, +2 str or initiative.

tacoo
02-06-2010, 23:54
of those listed, i would say nob, str 9 pk and 2 wounds is always nice, and if your counting a painboy as a nob, then him ofc.

of those not listed, my personal favorite is the Brother Captain (GK termie sarge/back up HQ). str 6 PW, hits in inative, acess to nealy all the wargear in the codex, and a global psyhood. dont forget he also has terminator armour!

Screaming Manti
02-06-2010, 23:59
I would have to say the broodlord. countless times its let my squad of genestealers go on a rampage by hypnotising combat monsters that would otherwise butcher the squad. its great nullifying Logan Grimnar just by making him look into your eyes :P

And he's not to bad in combat too :)

DeeKay
03-06-2010, 00:00
Are we talking ruleswise or fluff-wise?

Ruleswise, it has to be the Ork Nob. Up to 2 ablative wounds and Str on the charge means it will tear up most things in CC even without the rest of the unit joining in.

Fluffwise, I would say either the Exarch or Chosen Aspiring Champion. Both of which potentially have millenia of combat experience, and the Aspiring Champion would most likely have the dubious blessings of the Chaos Gods.

With regards,
Dan.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
03-06-2010, 00:02
Exarch all the way.

The special rules they grant to the squad increase the power of the squad exponentially.

Shining Spears exarch is an awesome addition to a squad, I've never seen them taken without the Hit and Run USR
DA exarch is also excellent for bladestorm
Most of the other exarchs are just really powerful, apart from maybe Warpspiders.

Joewrightgm
03-06-2010, 00:32
Nobs are very cool for what they can do. The extra wound for me has been a live saver on a couple of occasions. The obligatory power klaw being essentially hidden in close combat has saved him from being picked out by ICs that are T4, yet being able to smack said character, thus taking him down a peg or two :)

Chiron
03-06-2010, 00:38
Commissar

(here to fill out minimum characters for a post)

Corax
03-06-2010, 07:07
Nob. Two wounds is better than one wound, no matter what funky abilities it comes with.

Axeman1n
03-06-2010, 07:18
Nob, Pk and 2 wounds, in a troop choice, which can be 30 fearless models.

Necrosis
03-06-2010, 07:20
I have to say Veteran Sister Superiors are the best squad leaders you can find. They can take items from the armory which is huge and their ability to give the squad true stubborn is like the single best item in the game. Plus they make the unit faithful. So you can give the squad invuln saves, AP1 bolters, power weapons, +2 str or initiative.

I have to agree.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
03-06-2010, 09:55
Haha you would say that look at your Avatar....

Exarchs are better!

Stumpy
03-06-2010, 12:03
Choice between Exarch and Nob. Exarch makes their unit excel at their given role, nob gives orks... uh... ALL their anti-tank and anti-armour ability. Bosspoles are also great for the Ld7 gits. So many times my squads are beaten down to >10 guys, fail their morale then pass with the bosspole.

spekkiebig
03-06-2010, 12:11
I think the Dire Avenger Exarch has the best benefits for his units. Between the Shimmer shield, Defend and Bladestorm he's the most versetaile too i guess.

IGoblinego
03-06-2010, 14:20
Gunnery Sergeant Harker.

Shas'o Kais
03-06-2010, 17:16
I should add sisters squads and a broodlord, by the way, you should note that these are squad leaders of troop choices, and not HQ choices, cause if they were HQ, Ghazkghull would rock the house!