PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 2500 pt Tourny List

nepenthe
03-06-2010, 00:36
Well as much background as I can give for the tourny is it is 2500 pts and there will be at least one Daemon, VC and Lizardmen army present. Just looking for pointers as to if this list can stand up to these or if there are some options I should consider.

Lord/Heroes:

Dreadlord (236 pts)
-Great Weapon
-Armor of Darkness
-Pendant
-Potion of Strength

Master on Cold One (145 pts)
-Caledor's Bane
-Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield

Sorceress (150 pts)
-Lvl 1
-2x Dispell Scrolls

Core:

25x Warriors (184 pts)
-Musician, Standard
-Shields

24x Warriors (177 pts)
-Musician, Standard
-Shields

24x Warriors (177 pts)
-Musician, Standard
-Shields

5x Harpies (55 pts)

Special:

20x Black Guard (Lord present in this unit) (355 pts)
-Full Command
-Ring of Hotek
-ASF Banner

20x Blackguard (320 pts)
-Full Command
-Crimson Death

5x Cold One Knights (Master present in this unit) (190 pts)
-Full Command
-Null Talisman

5x Cold One Knights (159 pts)
-Musician, Standard

Rare:

2X Hydra (350 pts)

Total: 2498 pts

And just as a disclaimer. Yes, I know the list isn't the most friendly, but I'm only doing it to give me a better shot at getting the $200 prize which I want to use to start a new army. So I understand if you don't agree with my motives, but I REALLY want a new army. Also I never plan on making this my LGS as it's over an hour away, so I'm not terribly worried about how the list comes across.

Don Zeko
03-06-2010, 02:29
I dunno, dude. The list has two hydras, but i still think you're cutting your opponent a lot of slack here with the massed infantry blocks. Apart from the Hydra breath weapons, you have no shooting at all, and your harpies are your only mobile unit. I'd drop two of the warrior blocks and replace them with two units of 5 dark riders with crossbows and one unit of 10 crossbowmen with shields. Then I'd slim those blac guard blocks down a bit, probably to 15-18 models, and use the points to bump the cold ones up to 6 with a champion, musician, and null talisman. Then, points permitting, I'd get rid of the Master in favor of a death hag BSB on a cauldron of blood.

tmarichards
03-06-2010, 03:08
You've got nothing to worry Greater Daemons or catch Slaan, so I'd recommend dropping one hydra for a pair of RBTs.

I agree with Don Zeko on his points, but I'd recommend giving all three replacement core units musicians. On that note, Black Guard don't need musicians. I'd also consider dropping all 3 warrior blocks, as they don't do anything that the BG can't do better- they're not assassin delivery systems, and without a champion and War Banner a Greater Daemon will roll over them. 2 Units of Dark Riders and 10 xbows would be a much better core selection, with a couple of units of harpies as well.

If your Lord is going to be in a fighty unit, you may as well make him really fighty as well- go with the Executioner's Axe/Blood Armour combo, that way any stegs or Greater Daemons that wander into the unit will get pounded.

Unless you really like BG, I'd just take the one unit- if you take 2, the one with your Lord in will just get redirected while the other is shot/magicked or ground down. As good as they are, 2 blocks doesn't really add anything to a single block because it's unlikely to get into combat. I'd take a couple of units of shades as standard instead, and a maybe a chariot (but only because I prefer these to knights).

I'd give the COKs the Standard of Slaughter, that extra combat res against stuff which doesn't like static res and can't flee charges will be very useful.

And just to echo Don Zeko, that master doesn't really add anything- he doesn't make the unit strong enough to take on anything it couldn't already do, doesn't make them any less likely to go stupid and is generally not as good an investment of points as a Hag BSB would be.

Don Zeko
03-06-2010, 05:20
Heh. We appear to be the only people that give advice in DE army list threads, and we play the same list too.

Heimagoblin
03-06-2010, 08:52
Drop 2 warrior blocks for dark riders as suggested. Use spare points to invest in a dragon for the lord. You should be able to do this buy thinning the black guard and possibly dropping the second unit of cold one knights or at least drop them down to 5 men no command.

tmarichards
03-06-2010, 12:12
Heh. We appear to be the only people that give advice in DE army list threads, and we play the same list too.

Lol... I'm not even a very good player.

Don Zeko
03-06-2010, 14:01
Drop 2 warrior blocks for dark riders as suggested. Use spare points to invest in a dragon for the lord. You should be able to do this buy thinning the black guard and possibly dropping the second unit of cold one knights or at least drop them down to 5 men no command.

What is the comp system for this tournament? Are there soft scores? If so, I'd be pretty hesitant to bring a dragon and two hydras. Winning every game won't be enough if you get horrible comp scores from all of your opponents.

nepenthe
03-06-2010, 22:54
Thanks for input on the list. I guess I'm so used to running blocks of infantry with my Skaven that it just came natural to fill out my DE with them too.

Looks like I have some experimentation to do since I've never run a list with the Cauldron and I detest the model (really does it have to be holding a <3, heart), but I'll fix it up with some green stuff. Good point though on dropping the master, I ran some generic combats and he just doesn't matter all that much. So I'm gonna play a few games next week with the list including Dark Riders and another unit of harpies and the Cauldron with BSB.

As to the comment about running a dragon, I agree it will increase the power of the list, but sadly I don't own the model and that increases the investment I'll have to make just to compete.

Anyway at the moment I don't know how the tournament is going to be scored. It's at a GW store, not sure if it's always the same scoring format since it's company sponsored, but I'm probably going to contact the manager to get more details and I'll update the thread with the info and how my practice games turned out.

Thanks again for the tips, this is my first tournament, so I appreciate the help (and need it)!

lethlis
04-06-2010, 00:46
I would drop the crimson death, it costs nearly as much as two black guard. Any way you can fit some chariots in? Hard punch that is immune to fear. If you are going to take a large block of infantry, maybe put a master with pearl of bleakness to cancel out the fear?
Cauldron will help with taking out numbers against VC but what do you have to deal with the magic spam that you will be likely to face? Having small units pop up everywhere or being constantly reinforced will be a problem I think as it does not seem like you have much character killing power.

Other than that I think it looks pretty hard hitting

Don Zeko
04-06-2010, 02:32
Looks like I have some experimentation to do since I've never run a list with the Cauldron and I detest the model (really does it have to be holding a <3, heart), but I'll fix it up with some green stuff.

I just scratch-built mine to avoid paying for one. I built a stone altar out of insulation foam, stuck two executioners on the back and the brazier from the skaven plague furnace on the front. Paint thhe executioners as statues, add some witch elf models for the hag and attendants, then rush a quick and dirty paint scheme on the night before the tournament and presto! Cauldron, which is waaaaay better than a hydra banner BSB

I would drop the crimson death, it costs nearly as much as two black guard.

No, no no. It costs as much as two black guard, but it gives you some invaluable high-strength hits, which are the big weakness of a black guard block. Worth every point.