PDA

View Full Version : Catachans?

Valkyrie
03-06-2010, 16:57
ok. so i've decided to build new imperial guard army (sick of cadian models after factory building/painting them)

anyway heres the thing... for past 10 years playing warhammer... I actually never saw catachan army... is there a reason for this? i.e. weird models or just generally guys not wanting to paint muscular torsos? :P

Valkyrie
-Peace

Lars Porsenna
03-06-2010, 17:03
My guess is because the figures are remarkably ugly! :)

Makes good legs for my traitor guard though...

Damon.

khyron
03-06-2010, 17:06
I played Catachans around the time they got a dedicated book in 3rd edition. I was just a kid at the time, and thus was short on funds. The plastic boxes of 20 guardsmen were my only option.

I now have a 1500-point Cadian force, but have toyed with the idea of getting some Catachans.

I'd say they have the 3 coolest special characters in the new book. Being a Stallone and Predator fan, Marbo and Harker make me smile. And I've always thought Straken was among the baddest of the ass.

The only thing dragging them down are the dated plastics. The new command squad and the heavy weapons are alright, but the basic guardsman often turn out awkward looking. They're awesome for a Devils veteran squad, but I guess I'd like something a little more toned down for the infantry squads.

Run a veteran army with all 3 special characters and a bunch of sentinels, ogryns, and leman russ. Might not play well, but it would be fun as heck.

Shas'o Kais
03-06-2010, 17:07
Because dem umies is to weedy to fight propa, so dey needs dem flak jackets so to hide dere weedyness!

Anubis_the_Harlie
03-06-2010, 17:08
Personally, I think the Catachan sculpts, if you can see paste their huuuuuuuge arms aside and consider their age, are some of the most characterful mini's GW have produced. Far superior to the boring, albeit versatile, Cadians.

Buy a squad box and see how you like them. It's what I did and now I'm well on the way to amassing a small horde of the blighters.

AtH

mdauben
03-06-2010, 17:59
anyway heres the thing... for past 10 years playing warhammer... I actually never saw catachan army... is there a reason for this? i.e. weird models or just generally guys not wanting to paint muscular torsos? :P

I think they are just not popular sculpts, compared to the Cadians or Vostoryans. If you can get into the whole Rambo/Vietnam vibe, they are actually kind of cool looking. As khyron said they also have three great special characters.

I'd say if the sculpts don't put you off, go ahead and build a Catachan army. Except for the special characters the rest of the army is just vanilla IG, so anything you can do list wise with Cadians or Vostroyans or one of the other codex IG lists you can do with Catachans.

Freakiq
03-06-2010, 18:19
The plastics look better than most people give credit.

It's the fact that they are often given a sub-par paintjob that makes them look awful, even GW's pictures of them has a strange yellowy skin with blacklined muscles.

If painted up using natural skin-tones and well applied highlights they'll look much better.

Also the 'Eavy Metal Team can't give plastic models a natural pose to save their life, everyone looks exaggerated or flyswatted. Experimenting with blu-tac before gluing will allow you to find much better poses than those in the promotional pictures.

I say go for it, Catachans are a rare and characterful army that can look and play awesome if done right.

Axeman1n
03-06-2010, 19:56
I love the catachans. They have a lot of flavor that is not represented in the current codex. There are no HtH builds for IG. Catachans have a history of being good in HtH. Unfortunately the IG codex is strongest with heavy shooting.

If you decide to play Catachans, do it because you love them, and don't enjoy winning. Or do like everyone here told me to do, ignore the fluff, and make up your own. Oh, and watch a lot of Predator and Commando and Rambo when you go to start designing and painting your army.

Gray Hunter
04-06-2010, 01:59
A friend of mine had a Catachan army in 2nd edition. That's right, he had an all-metal Catachan army. Suddenly those plastics don't look so bad, huh?

Of course it helped that he liberally "misread" certain rules, such as reading the one that for each IG infantry squad in your army you could have a tank OR a special squad (Rough Riders, Ratlings, Ogryns etc) as meaning you could have a tank AND a special squad. This significantly cut down on the number of Catachan squads he actually bought. He also proxied Goliath gangers for Ogryns iirc :rolleyes:

Personally, I think they're cool. The theme and paint job is key. If I was painting them now they'd have camo face/body paint to hide their ugly mugs and bulging biceps, plus random bits of foliage stuck to their uniforms in the style of modern era jungle fighters/snipers (Vietnam). I'd also green stuff some boonie hats onto a lot of the troopers, since I'm not really a fan of the bandana look.

Hicks
04-06-2010, 02:07
The metal models are ace, but the more affordable plastic ones look pretty bad compared to all the other IG ranges.

Valkyrie
04-06-2010, 09:01
Thanks for all the posts guys.
I've purchased a battleforce and been tweaking around with the models, and honestly they are not that ugly as people are suggesting.

all in all i think catachans were mainly overlooked in last edition i guess with their 6+ save and all the jungle fighting rules, they could not use in every board there was. However generalizing them into stealthy, guerilla warfare guys have put a back into my incentive to collect them... so... wish me luck i guess :D

mulkers
04-06-2010, 11:29
I have about 3000 points including tanks, and like them, they are much better for conversions than the basic cadian troops, as the left arms aren't normally fixed to the gun.

If the boxes are still the same, there are heaps more options for different poses and combo's

don_mondo
04-06-2010, 11:39
If you're looking for more, I've got a batch I'm disposing of. Pics at:

http://s418.photobucket.com/albums/pp266/don_mondo_bucket/Trade%20Bait/

I acn get a list for anyone interested.