PDA

View Full Version : Black Knights - Only hurt by magical weapons?

goodz
03-06-2010, 22:07
Hey,

Black knights ride skeletal steeds? My friend says any model put on a skeletal steed is etheral so are black knights etheral? Can they only be hurt by magical weapons. Does barding effect this?

Kayosiv
03-06-2010, 22:11
Hey,

My friend says any model put on a skeletal steed is etheral

There is no such rule.

Yes barding lowers their movement by -1 to a 7.

goodz
03-06-2010, 22:15
just to clarify, can they be wounded by non magical attacks? Is very important to the next game i play and what i select! As last game 5 of them killed a large block of warriors with 0 wounds taken :(

R Man
03-06-2010, 22:18
The Ethereal Steads rule is for movement purposes only. Basically they ignore terrain penalties. So ordinary weapons can harm them.

Rochr
03-06-2010, 22:31
just to clarify, can they be wounded by non magical attacks? Is very important to the next game i play and what i select! As last game 5 of them killed a large block of warriors with 0 wounds taken :(

They can be hurt by regular weapons so your friend took you for a ride.

rtunian
04-06-2010, 00:03
a glance at the bestiary clears this question up.

for movement purposes only, a model mounted on a skeletal steed is treated as ethereal

TheDarkDaff
04-06-2010, 00:10
There is some debate about whether the barding will slow down the ethereal skeletal steeds.

Nkari
04-06-2010, 01:56
Does the etherial rule say anything about ignoring movement penaltys from unit upgrades, or does it just say it ignores terrain ? :P

Lord Dan
04-06-2010, 02:24
Does the etherial rule say anything about ignoring movement penaltys from unit upgrades, or does it just say it ignores terrain ? :P

It says "for movement purposes only", not "for terrain purposes only". I'd argue barding has something to do with movement...

stripsteak
04-06-2010, 02:43

'never affected by any special rule, spell or item that would otherwise reduce their movement...'

Kalandros
04-06-2010, 07:36
barding is a core rule, not a special rule.
FAQ also clears this up, look it up.

Milgram
04-06-2010, 09:48
FAQ rules it out. I'm still under the impression, that the ruling is bad, but... it is the ruling by the FAQ. :)

BigbyWolf
04-06-2010, 11:16
I would pay to see someone try to bard an ethereal steed…

*Skeleton puts barding on steed, watches silently as barding sinks through steed and falls onto the floor. Picks up barding, puts it back on steed, watches silently as barding sinks through steed and falls onto the floor. Picks up barding...*

You get the picture.

rtunian
04-06-2010, 13:30
the problem with that is, if the barding won't stay on the steed, why would the rider?

BigbyWolf
04-06-2010, 14:20
Now that's the kind of thinking we like in these parts!

I'd suggest that unlike normal skeletons, Wights have actually had their bones hollowed out and filled with helium. Thus their riding ability is not actually riding, but more...floating.

Lord Dan
04-06-2010, 14:43
barding is a core rule, not a special rule.
FAQ also clears this up, look it up.

"...never affected by any special rule, spell or item that would otherwise reduce movement..."

It's a poor FAQ ruling.

Kalandros
04-06-2010, 16:40
"...never affected by any special rule, spell or item that would otherwise reduce movement..."

It's a poor FAQ ruling.

Items are defined as Magic items. Equipment are not "Items" in the rules sense.

ObiWan
07-06-2010, 20:56
Now that's the kind of thinking we like in these parts!

I'd suggest that unlike normal skeletons, Wights have actually had their bones hollowed out and filled with helium. Thus their riding ability is not actually riding, but more...floating.

ROTFL!!! You just made my day, I just LOLed in the office and people stared at me like I am crazy (which I probably am anyway) :D

R-Love
12-06-2010, 02:38
the problem with that is, if the barding won't stay on the steed, why would the rider?

"How is it we can see and hear and..."
"Not now, Screamer"

:D