PDA

View Full Version : The Cabal..Canon or Marginal fluff?

MrBo114
04-06-2010, 12:52
So are the cabal and their machinations a current ongoing theme?Or were they written into a couple of books as a writers' convience?
I have read most of what is available on them and personally i dont think the whole "Xenos looking out for the good of the galaxy" really fits into the rest of the 40k universe mood.But that could be exactly why they are there.

P.s. i particularly liked "rise of the tau" (unofficial available in short stories on this forum) and seeing that its written by one of the BL authors i thought it might provide insight of what the BL writers think will happen even if they can't make it official.

Sorry if the poll is confusing i cant change it now
A. the cabal are part of ongoing fluff
B. the cabal are not a part of ongoing fluff.

Lord Damocles
04-06-2010, 13:02
I don't understand the question.

Is it along the lines of, 'Are the Cabal still active in M41?'

Or is it, 'Are the actions of the Cabal in M31 considered canon?'

Both of the poll title options seem true, but the actual choices in the poll don't seem to match :confused:

MrBo114
04-06-2010, 13:08
I don't understand the question.

Is it along the lines of, 'Are the Cabal still active in M41?'

Or is it, 'Are the actions of the Cabal in M31 considered canon?'

Both of the poll title options seem true, but the actual choices in the poll don't seem to match :confused:

sorry ill try to clean it up.
what i mean is, are the cabal a real force in the current 40k fluff?
or were they created for a particular book and not really a part of the current fluff.

Brother Loki
04-06-2010, 13:25
By 'current fluff' are you talking about current as in M41, or current as in real world 'official' canon?

If it's the former, we don't really know if they're still operational in M41, but its possible.

If it's the latter, while the Cabal was largely introduced By Dan Abnett in Legion, there are obscure references to what might be them elsewhere in the fluff (such as the Watchers in Descent of Angels). I definitely think they're now an addition to the 'canon', as everything in the Horus Heresy books is signed off by Alan Merett, GW's head of IP and the chap responsible for managing the background.

Scalebug
04-06-2010, 13:47
It's one of those things that people put way to much importance on...

They were/are not the guys with the definitive truth and the last hope for the universe, representants of the Old Ones, super-powerful, the secret force behind every throne of the 40K universe, or anything, they were simply a bunch of Xenos who did their thing as they saw fit.

So, certainly Canon, but not as important as people blow it up to be...

In particular, the Eldar that were part of the Cabal were certainly not representing his species as a whole, as the Eldar fought against Horus rather than as the Cabal planned, let the rebels win and save the universe that way.

Idaan
04-06-2010, 15:47
On the other hand, they were one of the precious few bits of insight we had into how the galactic civilisation looked like between the end of War in Heaven and the Fall of the Eldar. You know, the 59 millions of years we know nothing about. And the fact that they were wrong about the outcome of the Heresy (which we can't say for sure, as we still don't know if Alpha Legion listened to them) doesn't mean that they were unimportant. The very fact that they've fought apocalyptic wars with Chaos and won, securing a safe window of time for humanity and other races to grow makes them an important bit of backstory.

Overall, I like them a lot and thing that they're worthy addition to the background, one that makes it less "HULK SMASH" and more 3d.