PDA

View Full Version : Defending obstacle

Druidic
04-06-2010, 14:13
Unit of orge bulls move and end up just short of a fence line infront of a unit or archers.

The archers move up to "defend" the fence line distinctly worried about the upcomming Ogre Bulls charge.

Next turn the Bulls Charge the Archers... now the question.

Do the archers test for Fear?

The rules state no bonus for charging a unit defending an obstacle, and fight as if already engaged... but its not a bonus, it's a physcology test.

Thoughts?

D

rtunian
04-06-2010, 14:37
yes, you would take all psychology tests associated with charging. however, because the combat counts as a subsequent round of combat, the "hit on 6's if fail fear test" doesn't apply.

only a "change charge response to flee" result would be enforced, and that would only happen if you fail a fear test to an outnumbering fear causing charger, or if you fail a terror test.

Druidic
04-06-2010, 14:40
Hmm, but if it counts as if your already in combat, and you don't take fear tests each turn if already engaged, why take the fear test? You do not count as being charged....

rtunian
04-06-2010, 15:11
you take the test because the rules say to take the test. are you really posting to ask whether or not you have to follow the rules?

also, to reiterate what i previously said, there is a case where the fear test result would be applied, and that's if the charging fear causer outnumbers, or if the charger causes terror.

Druidic
04-06-2010, 16:02
But the rules also say you do not count as being charged.

Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear, to clarrify my question:-

Does the unit of archers test for fear from being charged by the fear causing unit?

Understood that if they are beaten in the combat they still have all the other associated issues of fighting a fear causing unit, auto break if outnumbered, etc, but the rules state they count as already being engaged rather then being charged.

Col. Frost
04-06-2010, 16:48
No bonus means just that. The charger gets no bonuses for charging a defended obstacle.

A fear test in not a bonus and so a check will need to be made.

Druidic
04-06-2010, 17:04
Ok, maybe I'm not getting it, but the rules then go on to say "fight as if already engaged" or am I miss understanding it that the fear check is carried our during movement not combat?

theunwantedbeing
04-06-2010, 17:15
Ok, maybe I'm not getting it, but the rules then go on to say "fight as if already engaged" or am I miss understanding it that the fear check is carried our during movement not combat?

The models doing the charging fight as if already engaged, but it would still be the first round of combat.

The models getting charged get no benefit so still do everything that they'de normally do if charged without the obstacle in the way.

Druidic
04-06-2010, 17:26
Ah, I now think I see where your comming from... Looks like the archers are Futocked then :-)

rtunian
04-06-2010, 17:36
oops looks like i was partially wrong. i thought the round of combat was fought as if a subsequent round, but actually it's just the chargers who fight as if a subsequent round. this means that the fear test does matter, outnumber or not

Druidic
09-06-2010, 13:13
Well, just to complete the tail, Archers passed their fear check, YAY! then got burchered, ran and got wiped out... boo :-)