PDA

View Full Version : Tomb kings 1k, new to army

Mullitron
04-06-2010, 15:06
The title pretty much says it all, iam new to tomb kings and as normal starting off with a 1k list. Any advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated, thankyou. :)

prince
great weapon
collar of shapesh
(Army general)

Liche priest
cloak of dunes
hieratic jar
(army hierophant)

Total characters:289

5 skeleton light horsemen 70

20 skelton archers
full command

25 skeletons
shields
light armor

Total core:550

chariots x4

Total: 999

arff98
05-06-2010, 01:51
Drop the two light calvary (140), the full command in the archer unit (25), the light armour in the 25 skeletons (25) and one chariot (40). That will equal 230 points

Buy another liche priest for 115 ( if you can do that at 1.000 points) a Screaming Skull Catapult for 90. Buy the command group for the Sketetons with shields.

Magic is quite importamt for tomb kings, another liche priest will mean two more dices in the magic phase.
The SSC is a very good war machine, Make sure both Liche priest are near enough to the SSC so that in you magic phase you can make it shoot with the priest incantations

Tha skeletons with shields will most probably receive the charge of the enemy.They will need the full command the most. Th skeletons are expensive as they are. Buying them upgrades is wasting points, therefore I would recomend no light armour.This is a great unit for your prince to be in.

A 20 model long line of archers is difficult to manage and a ranked up unit of archers seems like a waste. Open them up on your first tursn and rank them upwhen the enemy is near.

Finally keep you lische priest close and behind other units. Thier range is quite short and the magic proyectiles is not worth it to keep them on the frontlines. You might want one of them inside the SSC.

Buy a light armour for the prionce with the remaining points.

bluemage
05-06-2010, 04:07
Based on your list I'm guessing that you're working mostly from a battalion?

A screaming skull catapult is amazing and I recommand always taking at least one, the skulls of the foe upgrade is also almost always worth it. You're also gonna want to start fielding scorpions. They're amazing for their points and great at a lot of different jobs.

I recommand you one unit of light horsemen and the 25 man group of archers and one chariot. This'll give you 335 points to play around with. I'd add a screaming skull catapult /w skulls of the foe, a second liche priest and a tomb scorpion. Which adds up 310 points. Use the other 25 points to buy 3 more archers for you squad.

The scorpion can attempt to kill war machines, assassinate wizards or help out your block in combat. The chariots do what chariots do. Try to get flank characters with them and they should be able to break your opponents units. The light horsemen work well as a sacrifice. They can go ahead and attempt to draw off a unit with frenzy, march block, force your opponent to declare awkward charges so that they'll present you with their flanks.

Mullitron
05-06-2010, 09:32
Woops didnt notice i missed the command on the melee skeltons :P
Thanks for the advice, ive dropped the archers a chariot and one of the light cavalry for another priest, a scorpion and the catapult (tho sadly didnt have points for skull upgrade).
Should i make the priest with the jar, whom i plan to keep near the catapult the heirophant? So i can risk the flying priest more by flying behind the chariots and cavalry supporting them? Or should i focus on supporting the skeltons/prince unit more to allow it to keep up with the faster elements of the army?

Heroes:

prince
great weapon
collar of shapesh
light armor
(Army general)

Liche priest
cloak of dunes
(army hierophant)

Liche priest
hieratic jar

25 skeletons
full command
shields

chariots x3

scorpion 85

screaming skull catapult 90

Total: 997

bluemage
05-06-2010, 14:48
A big problem with tomb kings is that the infantry elements of the army are horriable in combat. You're WS2 T3 and you'll have a 5+ save in combat. All for the low low price of 8 points a model. You can't march so now you'll have to use a character and try to magic them across the board, which will be a long slow process if they decide to try dispeling that. In fact, if you don't get the movement spell off on the unit you'll never make it into their deployment zone. This is a huge problem that tomb kings have and is usually why they tend to castle up in their deployment zone and wait for the enemy. You really don't have any other options at lower point games.

So I'd give the skeletons bows, and force the enemy to come to you if they want to get any points off you. Anything they kill you can just raise back if they want to stay in their deployment zone, and it makes the auto panic check from the screaming skull catapult very effective. Especially with the -1 leadership.

The jar and the cloak of dunes work best when combined on the hierophant. The hierophant is last in the incantation order (ignoring the casket) and he's at his best when he's flexiable. Remember that only the magic missile requires light of sight, the rest don't so you can hide him behind a hill or unit, out of line of sight.

arff98
05-06-2010, 22:41
mmm...bluemage advices are very good. The scorpions is great. It has better stat line that the prince. But I will find someway to get 20 archers in there. Maybe if you take out:
the light infantry (70)
the cloak (20)
the jar (25)
5 skekletons (40)
and the musician (5)
That will give you 160 points. Don`t get me wrong the jar and the cloak are great. Both are a must in all my 2000 points list, but I think you should max the numbres of models in your army at 1000 points. Try it both ways and tell me how it goes.

spiderman5z
06-06-2010, 06:21
well u need a cloak on ur hierophant take out musicians only leave in standards and take out those light horsemen they are not worth their points. Tomb guard are amazing especially if you stick a nice magic banner in there and run your liche priest around with them for support or stick a king or prince in there. You prolly wont be able to get any in for 1k pts but for higher pts u definetly need a block of 20-25 of them