PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Lothern Sea Guard 8th

Red_Lep
04-06-2010, 23:50
Building a "rumor list" and was wondering how it would do, opinions?
Lords- 540

Archmage- 285
~Silver Wand
~Great Eagle
~Level 3
**Offensive Archmage

Archmage- 255
~Seerstaff
~Level 3
**Defensive Archmage
.................................................. ..................................
Heroes- 223

Noble- 99
~Great Weapon
~Dragon Armor
**Go in a unit of LSG

BSB- 124
~Great Weapon
~Dragon Armor
**Go in a unit of LSG
.................................................. ..................................
Core- 654

2x Lothern Sea Guard(24)- 327
~Standard Bearer
~Musician
~Shields
Special- 875

White Lions(21)- 395
~Banner of Sorcery
~Full Command

White Lions(21)- 345
~Full Command

Phoenix Guard(9)- 135
**Bunker for D. Archmage
Rare- 200

2x Repeater Bolt Thrower- 100
Total- 2492

I don't really want to add cavalry/chariots, just personal choice. Any thoughts on how I could model the PG? The WLs will be spearmen with Tridents(Great Weapon) and Corsair cloaks(Lion cloaks).

bluemage
05-06-2010, 04:16
Difficult terrain is supposed to be disappearing so I would drop the banner of ellyrion and replace it with the war banner. Which would bring you up to 2499 points.

It looks like a bit of a soft list but time will tell. I wouldn't bother with phoenix guard at such low numbers, they're not killy enough to break the enemy and you lack the numbers with through static combat rez. I guess you just want your mage to hang out with people toting a ward save? I'd think about moving the banner of sorcery to one of the units of white lions, seems like it would be safer in a larger unit. But more importantly I think you need to add in a battle standard bearer. You're running infantry rank and flank army and if you want to play the hammer and anvil game with the white lions, you're gonna want a battle standard letting you reroll your stubborn tests.

Red_Lep
05-06-2010, 04:36
The PG were going to hang back behind the others and let the Archmage cast spells to help the other units. The low numbers because it was just to give my Archmage a bunker unit and to not involve the Banner of Sorcery in a combat(and potentially lose it).

I do see the safety of a larger unit though and will probably swap it to one of them. And I didn't know about the possible disappearance of difficult terrain. I guess I could swap out the Phoenix guard for something else and add the BSB in(how did I forget about that?)

bluemage
05-06-2010, 04:57
Its easy to make mistakes. Especially when you're try to write up an army list for an edition based only on rumours. Keeping the archmage in the PG could still work, as he's supposed to be your defense wizard.

What I like to do though is mount my mages and keep them in the large blocks until the turn before they'll see combat and then move them out somewhere safe. This is after I've killed off ranged enemy units. But in 8th there's a rumour that you can march if an enemy is within 8 inchs if you pass a leadership test. So that would give you 18 inches to move out of the way and into maybe a bolt thrower (assuming you could still join them which rumours point to no). And keeping a mage inside a unit is dangerous with the no random charge distances. I'm not sure where I'll put my mages to get them safe.

I'm think that I might but them inside a unit of 10 archers that's maybe three or four wide. Or move him to them after a couple of turns so the enemy would consider them a lower priority. If the archers are only 3 wide and you place your units close enough to each other, the enemy wouldn't be able to charge the archers without hitting a unit of sea guard or white lions first, because there wouldn't be room to fit. And if they reforrmed to fit they wouldn't be wide enough to have a rank bonus, so you flee a charge and counter charge with white lions or another unit and easly with combat. You'd have to give up some long bow shots for this to work, but they didn't kill very much anyways.

TheSanityAssassin
05-06-2010, 06:21
Now, I may have missed this being removed, but I thought that 8th edition allowed spells to be chosen? If so, you don't need that Seerstaff, and could change it out for a simple Dispell Scroll, or else a more defensive piece of wargear.

It honestly doesn't look that strong to me, but time will definitely tell....if you can pull off the rank/flank maneuver it can work, but big enough armies will be relatively able to just block flanks with numbers, force 1v1 fights, hold on stubborns and flank you in return.

As for modelling options, I'd consider the PG's possibly being some kind of elemental/sea creatures? Or else something like "stomtouched" ? Elves possessed by the magic of the sea in the same way that PG are taken by Asuryan?

Red_Lep
05-06-2010, 16:03
I realise its not that strong of a list, my other HE army will be my "competitive" army. I'm mainly just doing it because I like LSG and think it'd be a fun list.

I swapped some things around and found the points for a BSB.

thesheriff
05-06-2010, 21:48
Now, I may have missed this being removed, but I thought that 8th edition allowed spells to be chosen?

To my knowlege, 8th ed does not allow spells to be chosen, I think what happens is that you declare lores on wizards, and roll for them in what ever order you chose. the first wizard gets what ever spells he wants. the second wizard then rolls how many spells he gets and re-rolls the spells already aquired by the previous wizard, exept for the supossed base spell that everyone now will get ('like invocation of nehek' or 'power of darkness').

with the actuall list, the flying mage will just get blown out of the sky, a squad of repeater crossbows will kill him in a turn

with the modeling, i would just take the phoinex guard and give them corsair cloaks. Filing and greenstuffing should create a seamless enough cloak with minimum fuss

Walls
06-06-2010, 18:52
Of course, in rumors it is saying High Elves ignore FoC restrictions/percentages/limits!

Pskyrunner
06-06-2010, 19:01
im dont think they ignore the percantage restrictions.. just can take a few rare/elite from the same type, not just 3 of same type