PDA

View Full Version : Morathi, The Hag Sorceress and casting re-rolls

Archangelion
05-06-2010, 01:27
Does Morathi's 'The First Sorceress' special rule (the last sentance) mean that she gets +1 to her casting rolls, or that all mages in a DE army get the +1 to casting rolls?

TheDarkDaff
05-06-2010, 04:46
i can see how you could take it to mean everybody gets the +1 casting roll, but it does seem like an easter egg.

For those interested the rule is basically that she is a Lvl 4 that knows all the Dark Magic spells. Then it has the following sentence

In addition, Morathai adds +1 to all casting rolls.

Kalandros
05-06-2010, 05:00
obviously meant for her only

Archangelion
05-06-2010, 17:10
Okay, I just wasn't sure about the wording, and would not have used it as a blanket for all sorcs unless that was infact the rule.

theunwantedbeing
05-06-2010, 17:24
Does Morathi's 'The First Sorceress' special rule (the last sentance) mean that she gets +1 to her casting rolls, or that all mages in a DE army get the +1 to casting rolls?

Erm, your misreading your misread of that rule.

It's one of 2 things.
1. She adds +1 to her casting rolls
or
2. She adds +1 to all casting rolls

If we go off the latter then she add's +1 to enemy casting rolls as well, as those are still casting rolls.
Clearly this is nonsense so the first one must be the correct one :)

Archangelion
11-06-2010, 19:56
Great point theunwantedbeing!

As an asside... why would one take the killing blow weapon over the stat reducing sword? The second is not only cheaper, but can outright kill most all oposing wizards and other models with 1 A.

T10
12-06-2010, 21:09
Great point theunwantedbeing!

As an asside... why would one take the killing blow weapon over the stat reducing sword? The second is not only cheaper, but can outright kill most all oposing wizards and other models with 1 A.

:sigh:

Those players that figure they'll be using Mortahi to charge something tougher than a T3 Wizard will find that the lance isn't a bad option.

But please feel free to imagine that we all bow to your greater wisdom.

-T10

Archangelion
13-06-2010, 02:20
.. no need to be snarky... it was a simple question... I have played only 1 battle with the army thus far and I am seeking knowledge. So please... excuse my lack of experiance with the models in the army!

It just seemed to me that it seemed odd that one would spend more points for something that seemed less powerfull.

My problem, mainly, is that when the rules change, Morathi will end up being a model that can only be used in 2000 point games or higher... so I was debateing whether or not she would be worth picking up, thus the questions. My army is around 1500 -2000 at this point, and I am going to be useing them in a campaign.

I do not pretend that I have greater wisdom than anyone T10, but I do have a way about seeing things, rules wise, that allow me to find some rather nasty combinations. But I am always asking for other's opions, not because I want to gut them for dinner, but because I value other's knowledge and experiance where mine might be lacking.

So thank you. Thank you for answering my question, and thank you for answering it in a manner that succesfully anoyed me!

sulla
13-06-2010, 03:57
Also, the dark sword plus potion of strength is only a little more expensive than the lance on it's own. Since she will likely only be fighting in a single combat, if any, it's as good an investment as the lance. The trick is getting value out of either magic weapon.

shelfunit.
13-06-2010, 08:45
My problem, mainly, is that when the rules change, Morathi will end up being a model that can only be used in 2000 point games or higher... so I was debateing whether or not she would be worth picking up, thus the questions. My army is around 1500 -2000 at this point, and I am going to be useing them in a campaign.

As she is a lord level character she can only be used in 2k + games anyway...

Tae
13-06-2010, 11:27
As she is a lord level character she can only be used in 2k + games anyway...

Not in 8th Ed.

shelfunit.
13-06-2010, 12:41
Not in 8th Ed.

Yes even in 8th Ed...

At 480pts minimum you will need 2k + pts to field her with 25% restrictions (ok 1920pts, but who plays that?)

Tae
13-06-2010, 13:21
Yes even in 8th Ed...

At 480pts minimum you will need 2k + pts to field her with 25% restrictions (ok 1920pts, but who plays that?)

Indeed. However my point was that her merely being a Lord choice would not prohibit her being used in games under 2,000 (as in 7th).

shelfunit.
13-06-2010, 14:51
Indeed. However my point was that her merely being a Lord choice would not prohibit her being used in games under 2,000 (as in 7th).

True and agreed :)